Contribute
Register

[LIST] CPU Upgrades!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be advised all those who attempt to upgrade their processor, appararently not using processors from HP directly will yield you undesired results and they very well be unsupported.
Since your upgraded CPU works under Windows, you cannot blame it. There must be something wrong with your Lion installation.

Please be advised all those who attempt to upgrade their processor, appararently not using processors from HP directly will yield you undesired results and they very well be unsupported.

Nonsense! As long as your CPU is not an engineering sample, it should work without problem, no matter who's the seller (HP, Dell, eBay seller, seller from Mars, Jupiter etc.). simply because AFAIK there is no CPU whitelist in the 4x30s ProBooks.

I see there are some very passionate members on this forum..

Let me clarify my post, as per council provided by HP directly.. "non OEM processors may not be supported as an upgradeable item in the Probook 4530S series". In my specific case, I had installed an i5 processor and it broke my fully functional Lion install that mind you was working with my i3 processor and appeared in Windows and BIOS as Genuine Intel CPU 0. As far as User Petev has suggested I can neither disprove or corroborate his claim, I will however post results as the processor I had purchased turned out to be an engineering sample. My apologies though, the use of the word "apparently" was a subtle way to express that my claim could potentially be untrue, I did not intend to mislead anyone.

Good Luck hackintoshing

I see there are some very passionate members on this forum..

Let me clarify my post, as per council provided by HP directly.. "non OEM processors may not be supported as an upgradeable item in the Probook 4530S series". In my specific case, I had installed an i5 processor and it broke my fully functional Lion install that mind you was working with my i3 processor and appeared in Windows and BIOS as Genuine Intel CPU 0. As far as User Petev has suggested I can neither disprove or corroborate his claim, I will however post results as the processor I had purchased turned out to be an engineering sample. My apologies though, the use of the word "apparently" was a subtle way to express that my claim could potentially be untrue, I did not intend to mislead anyone.

Good Luck hackintoshing

There is one major difference between the OEM/Retail and the ES/QS 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPUs - their product code. OEM/Retail CPUs have product code like SRxxxx and ES/QS CPUs have product code like Qxxxxx. You can see the product code at the top of the CPU, near the crystal.

There is one major difference between the OEM/Retail and the ES/QS 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPUs - their product code. OEM/Retail CPUs have product code like SRxxxx and ES/QS CPUs have product code like Qxxxxx. You can see the product code at the top of the CPU, near the crystal.

Thanks for the clarification

+1 - Any processor that's on this list and not an ES/QS should work.
Interestingly though, Kryon, I've seen upgrading a processor on windows require it to seek out and install new drivers for the different instruction set. Given that mac have ball grid array processors, they may not like upgrading the processor after being already fully installed. I've glanced over your other threads, could you time machine your osx build and try a fresh build from scratch with the ES and see if it boots then? Just curious.

More importantly:
I don't see the quad core i5's on this list?
does that mean that the probook doesn't support something like the 2520QM, or does that mean that this list just isn't comprehensive?

+1 - Any processor that's on this list and not an ES/QS should work.
Interestingly though, Kryon, I've seen upgrading a processor on windows require it to seek out and install new drivers for the different instruction set. Given that mac have ball grid array processors, they may not like upgrading the processor after being already fully installed. I've glanced over your other threads, could you time machine your osx build and try a fresh build from scratch with the ES and see if it boots then? Just curious.

More importantly:
I don't see the quad core i5's on this list?
does that mean that the probook doesn't support something like the 2520QM, or does that mean that this list just isn't comprehensive?

Thanks for the advice, I did try a fresh install of Lion over the i5 and still nothing, even with on the windows partition it doesn't automatically install drivers like when the i3 is reinstalled

i7-26xxQM and i7-27xxQM should work without any problem, I personally have i7-2720QM in my laptop (ProBook 4330s), which I've purchased from eBay and it works fine. I've readed in some forums that i7-28xxQM works as well.

Does the 2630QM work fine? I saw a thread where people had a problem with QE/CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back