Contribute
Register

[LIST] CPU Upgrades!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure about the 2630qm, but im using the 2670qm here and I believe qe/ci work. How can I test it seeing as system profiler doesn't indicate qe/ci on SL?

I tested qe/ci and they are both working on the 2670 under Snow Leopard, so the 2630 will work too cause they are basically the same cpu with only the clock rate differing.

To test qe/ci, drag a widget into the centre of the screen and if you get the water ripple effect then they are working.

I can personally vouch for the i7-2670QM, I have a Probook 4530s with one and it works without issue. I also upgraded a friend's 4530s which had a stock i3-2310M. I ordered a i5-2540M off ebay, popped it in, and it 'just worked' under both windows and OS X. It even booted OS X Lion with the old i3-2310M SSDTs installed, and OS X didn't seem to care and detected the processor properly. Turboboost didn't work, but once I installed the correct SSDTs from the Probook Installer and rebooted, it worked like a charm as if nothing had changed. Well, except it was significantly faster (man, did going from no turbo to turbo make a big difference).

As far as I am aware, there is no bios or hardware limitation and the Probook will support any socket G2 CPU with an HD3000 (which is all of them except the Celerons, which I assume no one is planning on 'upgrading' to) that uses 45W or less. The 55W 'xtreme' processors *might* work, the chipset supports them anyway, but I am not sure if the motherboard is rated to 55W. It definitely can't cool 55W indefinitely. My Probook with a i7-2670QM required patching my DSDT (I used the slient fan guide on this forum), but to tell my fan to blast at full above 70-80 degrees C to run all 4 cores at full power for long (hours) stretches. I've never had any problem under windows, however.

NOTE: If you get a hotter, 45W processor, you might want to upgrade to at least F.28, earlier BIOSes have some sort of emergency shut down threshold that is set too low, and if you do something intensive that pegs all cores at 99-100%, your laptop will forceibly turn off within minutes. At least under OS X. This might just be my laptop, but that's been my experience. It went away with F.28.

One last anecdote, I actually use my laptop in my lap most of the time, and even maxing out the CPU for an hour, it never got uncomfortable to use directly on my lap. Just make sure there isn't anyone sitting on your left because they will NOT be happy hehe.

Does anyone know which models support the i7-2670QM? I got one off of Ebay (SR02N), but my laptop fails to POST with it installed. I have a XU015UT#ABA with the F20 BIOS (saw nothing the change logs related to CPU additions).

Does anyone know which models support the i7-2670QM? I got one off of Ebay (SR02N), but my laptop fails to POST with it installed. I have a XU015UT#ABA with the F20 BIOS (saw nothing the change logs related to CPU additions).

I have a laptop HP ProBook 4530s XX956EA, F30 and later F40 BIOS, have the same problem. After turning on the screen is black, the fan runs a few seconds at full power, then the notebook is turned off.

Processor SR02N bought on ebay, on other laptops I have not tested, so not sure if it works.

The HP guide to the 9th page of processors with 4 cores are placed only in the model with a discrete graphics card.

Question 1.
But this is only a list of used configurations, not compatibility table?

Question 2.
Maybe we buy and return the same bad processor? :)

Question 3.
Has anyone installed the i7-2670QM SR02N processor in a laptop with UMA (integrated graphics)?

Maintenance and Service Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03054480/c03054480.pdf

I have a laptop HP ProBook 4530s XX956EA, F30 and later F40 BIOS, have the same problem. After turning on the screen is black, the fan runs a few seconds at full power, then the notebook is turned off.

Processor SR02N bought on ebay, on other laptops I have not tested, so not sure if it works.

The HP guide to the 9th page of processors with 4 cores are placed only in the model with a discrete graphics card.

Question 1.
But this is only a list of used configurations, not compatibility table?

Question 2.
Maybe we buy and return the same bad processor? :)

Question 3.
Has anyone installed the i7-2670QM SR02N processor in a laptop with UMA (integrated graphics)?

Maintenance and Service Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03054480/c03054480.pdf

Maybe you just have a bad chip?

I'm very sorry for the bump but I have some issues as well with a CPU upgrade.

I tried to put a i7-2760qm chip in my laptop and i failed to post except the laptop gives me a system board failure LED code and then the fan runs at full power and fails to post, nothing is displayed on the screen and it runs the fan at full speed indefinitely.

people have claimed that the i7-2760qm should work in the probook 4530s since they said there is no cpu whitelisting and my BIOS is up to date. My laptop originally had a i3-2310M and uses the HD3000 graphics, there is no dedicated graphics in my laptop.

I just want to make sure its not the laptop fault and hopefully a bad chip but i dont know. I also wish there is an easy fix since I hate to return the chip since hassle but have to if its broken.

Also, the chip should be oem/retail as the model on the chip says SR02W

I'm very sorry for the bump but I have some issues as well with a CPU upgrade.

I tried to put a i7-2760qm chip in my laptop and i failed to post except the laptop gives me a system board failure LED code and then the fan runs at full power and fails to post, nothing is displayed on the screen and it runs the fan at full speed indefinitely.

people have claimed that the i7-2760qm should work in the probook 4530s since they said there is no cpu whitelisting and my BIOS is up to date. My laptop originally had a i3-2310M and uses the HD3000 graphics, there is no dedicated graphics in my laptop.

I just want to make sure its not the laptop fault and hopefully a bad chip but i dont know. I also wish there is an easy fix since I hate to return the chip since hassle but have to if its broken.

Also, the chip should be oem/retail as the model on the chip says SR02W

It is either a bad chip, unsupported, or a botched install. You're probably best off installing only CPUs that are listed in the service manual. Anything else is your own gamble.

Hmm,

well my laptop is the XU015UT#ABA model just like one of the person above that reported having a similar issue.

I don't think its a botched install since I was pretty much careful so I guess it might be a bad chip or just not compatible though some users did say that it was.. sigh, i wish there was a clear answer. May have to return the processor possibly.

I'm having the same problem with the aforementiomed 2670QM. I installed in on my 4530s, which came with the i3 2350m. No post. I thought I fried something, but the i3 worked just fine when I tried it again. Going to try the i7 once more before I get another chip. Anyone know how I can get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back