Contribute
Register

Lion & Windows 7 dual-boot AFTER lion installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you install Win7 on the same hard drive as OS X and preformat the partition, the Win7 installer does not create the system reserved partition. It only does that when you install on a new, un-initialised drive or a blank drive. You should be able to boot from the only Windows icon you see (unless you created more than one Windows partition)
If you do not encrypt the hard drive and have no intention of encrypting the hard drive, and don't intend to use the network system recovery if your Win7 install craps out on you, then you do not need the System Reserved partition anyway. All you have to do to avoid having the installer create it is preformat the hard drive either FAT32 or NTFS before installing Win7.

fuffel said:
So everything works fine now :thumbup:

The steps:

1. Boot into existing Lion installation
2. Resize OS X partition
3. Create a second partiton as FAT
4. Start Windows 7 installation
5. Do NOT delete the free FAT partition, format it :banghead:
6. Install Windows
7. Bootloader lost --> boot with rBoot.
8. Boot into existing OS X installation, run MultiBeast on the desktop with the aml file on the desktop as well (having deleted the AppleRTC-Backup folder from the Desktop first!)
9. Restart --> everything works perfectly :D

Thanks a lot for your help!

This worked great for me! Thanks!

Going Bald, Thanks for your help! But still not working:

Chimera menu shows me 2 boot partition options: Lion, and a FAT32 partition which I made to same my shared data. Chimera does not list my NTFS partition which holds Win7 installation.

My Disk looks like this:

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS LION 100.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 100.0 GB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data DATA 799.9 GB disk0s4

I also checked in LION, Finder does not show NTFS partition at all. Somehow dis0s3 is not visible to Chimera nor LION.

I appreciate your help.

cheers

ejdehan said:
Going Bald, Thanks for your help! But still not working:

Chimera menu shows me 2 boot partition options: Lion, and a FAT32 partition which I made to same my shared data. Chimera does not list my NTFS partition which holds Win7 installation.

My Disk looks like this:

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS LION 100.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 100.0 GB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data DATA 799.9 GB disk0s4

I also checked in LION, Finder does not show NTFS partition at all. Somehow dis0s3 is not visible to Chimera nor LION.

I appreciate your help.

cheers

I'm having the exact same issue unfortunately :/ Chimera not showing the NTFS partition at all..

One more thing:

when I try to mount the NTFS partition via terminal, I get: Input / Outut error .

sudo mkdir /Volumes/WIN
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/WIN/
mount_ntfs: /dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/WIN: Input/output error

cheers

So I finally got a DUAL-Boot working but it was with the software EasyBCD, which I had to run from Windows (modified the MBR) and finally got a choice of Windows/OSX

Good enough for me, still no Chimera though :/

Now just to figure out how to make a full image of both systems

chlywly said:
So I finally got a DUAL-Boot working but it was with the software EasyBCD, which I had to run from Windows (modified the MBR) and finally got a choice of Windows/OSX

Good enough for me, still no Chimera though :/

Now just to figure out how to make a full image of both systems
clonezilla

It was there, but for what ever reason not showing up in OSX, Chimera or even Gparted.. !?!

Nice guide, although I had to re-install windows. So I repeated the steps starting from disk utility. When I get to the part where I need to format the FAT32 partition to NTFS. I get an error (something cannot locate etc etc.) I might have to reinstall everything from scratch if I can't figure this out

fuffel said:
So everything works fine now :thumbup:

The steps:

1. Boot into existing Lion installation
2. Resize OS X partition
3. Create a second partiton as FAT
4. Start Windows 7 installation
5. Do NOT delete the free FAT partition, format it :banghead:
6. Install Windows
7. Bootloader lost --> boot with the UniBeast USB installation drive
8. Boot into existing OS X installation, run MultiBeast
9. Restart --> everything works perfectly :D

Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks a lot! This helped me to install Lion and Windows 7 into the same hard drive. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back