Contribute
Register

Lion & Windows 7 dual-boot AFTER lion installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
dare599z said:
Hi, I'm looking to do this tonight as well, and I'm just wondering if, when I reinstall the Chimera bootloader, will any of my booting arguments get destroyed, and I should back up my org.chameleon.boot.plist prior to reinstalling Chimera? I have a custom dual-graphics edit in it.

Appreciate the help!!
Chimera installer either with MultiBeast (select only Chimera under bootloaders) or stand alone installer does not touch anything in your root except the boot file. No need to back up anything.

Going Bald said:
dare599z said:
Hi, I'm looking to do this tonight as well, and I'm just wondering if, when I reinstall the Chimera bootloader, will any of my booting arguments get destroyed, and I should back up my org.chameleon.boot.plist prior to reinstalling Chimera? I have a custom dual-graphics edit in it.

Appreciate the help!!
Chimera installer either with MultiBeast (select only Chimera under bootloaders) or stand alone installer does not touch anything in your root except the boot file. No need to back up anything.

Thank you very much! Have it working!

I have done the dual boot every way possible and everytime I boot back in to lion to install the boot loader via multibeast
I get a boot manager missing error when trying to boot win 7 from Chimera.

Followed every step here
First installed lion via unibeast
Partitioned windows drive fat
Booted to win7 DVD, formatted drive ntsc, installed windows
Rebooted, using unibeast booted lion and ran multibeast to install Chimera
Rebooted and got boot manager errror

Could anyone give me a hand. I know there is nothing wrong with the windows driv
Is there any way to fix the boot manager by by terminal?
I'd run startup repair but wouldn't that ruin my os x partition?

Figured out why im getting this error,
I'm not booting the proper partition because it's not showing up in chimera
Need to boot 'System Reserved' cause that is where the bootmgr is

So I tryed using 'diskpart' in cmd to activate the partition
But no luck.

Any one have any ideas why chimera is hiding the boot partition?

Edit-
formatted windows drive from lion
Reboot. Boot to win7 DVD
Delete all windows partitions even the unallocated ones
Format the win7 partition then installed
This worked for me odd why it wouldnt the first time.

I have a stable 10.7.2 build going right now and want to install Win7 on my HDD as well. However, I did all of this the old way sans UniBeast and unfortunately do not have a thumb drive handy with me. When you guys say boot back into Lion using UniBeast, would using iBoot work the same way?

So sum it all up (to my understanding):

1.) Use Disk Utility to create a 2nd partition (whatever size we want to allocate for Win7) using the FAT format.

2.) Boot the Win7 Install Disk and format THAT ONE partition to NTSC to install Windows.

3.) After Win7 installation is complete, use UniBeast (or in my case hopefully iBoot) to boot into Lion so that I can reinstall Chimaera?

Am I missing anything or is that it in a nutshell? Thanks!

phenom7 said:
I have a stable 10.7.2 build going right now and want to install Win7 on my HDD as well. However, I did all of this the old way sans UniBeast and unfortunately do not have a thumb drive handy with me. When you guys say boot back into Lion using UniBeast, would using iBoot work the same way?

1.) Use Disk Utility to create a 2nd partition (whatever size we want to allocate for Win7) using the FAT format.

2.) Boot the Win7 Install Disk and format THAT ONE partition to NTSC to install Windows.

3.) After Win7 installation is complete, use UniBeast (or in my case hopefully iBoot) to boot into Lion so that I can reinstall Chimaera?

Exactly, except use r Boot, not i Boot. iBoot is for SL, rBoot is for Lion.

Going Bald said:
phenom7 said:

Exactly, except use r Boot, not i Boot. iBoot is for SL, rBoot is for Lion.

Great! Thanks for the response. Definitely going to give this a try.

Got into a problem:

Did everything as per instruction/guide. But now when I boot, boot manager (Chimera) does not show any "System Reserved" option in my boot options.

Do I need to manually fdisk mbr within Lion OS X? Don't dare to do it yet before I hear others. Thanks for helping out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back