1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am unable to perform updates via direct download or software updater. I often get this message when attempting updates:

The update could not be expanded, and may have been corrupted during downloading. The update will be downloaded and checked again the next time that Software Update runs.

Occasionally I am able to update smaller files, but things like iTunes or OS updates always fail. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

It has happened to me in the past. Nothing to worry about, it has to do either with your internet connection, or busy Apple servers, or even yourself using internet while downloading. Try again. And try downloading one update at a time. You can also download updates directly from Apple website, without having to use Software update feature.

Thanks for the response, but as I mentioned in the first post, updates do not work via updater or direct download from the Apple website. It has happened many times, and I do not think it has anything to do with connections, servers, or me using the internet.

Sounds like possible Hard Drive issue. Have you tried to run the Disk Utility from your original boot usb drive, or better run a utility like Tech Tool Pro or Drive Genius to check for bad blocks? Back up first of course. If it's a directory corruption, Disk Warrior works good barring any HD issues. You want to run from a non-booted disk so you may need to remove drive or boot from external and run the block check. A Linux Live CD would work too, but it will be command line utilities. Check to make sure drive is good before you continue to other steps!

Thanks, I'll try some of those steps next. I recently purchased another SSD on a good deal, and might just create a whole new system with Mountain Lion clean install, and use the Lion setup periodically, since I don't love Lion anyway. If I set up the new drive with Mountain Lion via Multibeast, can I just plug it into my existing system and have it recognized as another boot option on startup? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back