Contribute
Register

Lion Server on an HP Mediasmart EX485

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone looking to upgrade their EX485 or EX487 to a faster CPU, I used the hacked BIOS in the following thread with a E8400 and have had no troubles for the last couple years (under WHS v1). http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10342

I installed 10.9.3 this weekend on it, and it seems to be running pretty well so far.

I'm getting the following message written to the system log every 0.1 secs or so (10x per second).
Code:
May 24 15:40:22 mac-server WindowServer[552]: _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice: No matching context for device (0x7fa0015094f0) - disabling OpenGL

I'm guessing the unsupported integrated graphics are the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this so the error goes away? Could this be causing the system to slow down since the system log is being constantly written to (and truncated)?

I have a EX485 on 10.9.3, BTW.
Thanks for your help.

Would love know if anyone has upgraded their server to Yosemite. I'm on Mavericks now and am wondering if there is a way to get to Yosemite without having to do a clean install.

Thanks.

I can vouch for a clean install to Yosemite/Server, but not the upgrade from Mavericks.

On a separate but related note...

I am not sure how well Yosemite will run on my EX490. I have an E8400 and Mushkin 4GB in there. What's the best cpu/ram for an EX49X? Is there a BIOS update that might allow for better hardware?

I have been looking for a new OS to install on my EX490 (Core 2 Due, 4gb). We have an Apple TV2, 3 iphones, 2 MBPs and one MB in the house, plus the PC which we use mostly for movie/tv, and this is something Id like to stop doing.

The idea is to have time machine backing up our MB(P)s, serving the ATV2 with videos, preferrably over home sharing without jailbreak.

After looking at Xpenology and FreeNAS and some other Server software I stumbled over this thread. Am I naive thinking that an EX490 with OSX Server is the ideal option which would grant me my wishes? Because I should be able to use itunes, homesharing and time machine natively connecting all (Apple) devices. And finally it would mean not needing the PC on to watch video, just the EX490 and ATV.

Riiiight?

hoping for a positive answer.

thanks!

Hi Eyewoo

The EX490 does everything you have described / require...

I have 4 GB ram , quad core CPU (Q9550S), 3 x 3 TB HD and one 250 GB SSD in my EX490... In the past I have used a core 2 Duo processor E8500 which worked perfectly as well.

I have also modified it with internal bluetooth as an experiment which works really well but don't really have a use for it...

I run Mavericks OS X 10.9 with OS X Server (Enables you to use the EX490 as a time machine for backing up computers). I run iTunes on it and have over 700 films and 2250 TV episodes all accessible through 2 ATVs in the house. Home sharing works a treat and I don't use any jailbreaks etc.

The whole package works very well. Occasionally you might stumble across a few issues but over all the concept works very well and I am very pleased with the unit. The EX490 running windows was awful but running OS X is priceless.

Good luck with your project.

Steven

Thanks for the encouragement STH744! I was having a lot of trouble even getting my old EX490 to start up and now I am looking at OSX Yosemite through my german VGA cable! It seems to be working. Haven't installed OSX Server yet as I don't really know why I would need to as of yet.

Is there some way to send PMs on this forum? I'd like to pick your brain about how you've got everything setup, if you don't mind..

Hi Eyewoo

I installed OSX Server so I can use my EX490 as a time machine to back up my MacBook Pro... It has loads of features doesn't cost the earth...

Regarding my set up...

Home sharing on iTunes is turned on and i have iTunes automatically start on server boot up. So when the server is running my ATV has my films, music and TV shows all ready for me to select. It works fantastically!

Lucky you having a VGA cable... I could have done with one of those when I set my EX490 originally! I did it all using my MacBook Pro and transferred the SDD to the EX490...Made things a little tricky at first until I got to grips with what I was doing.

Pick my brains however you see fit... If you can PM then go for it but I have never tried so don't know if it can be done.

Good luck with your project and if I can help I will.

Steven

PM function is turned off on the forum for some reason so my only option is the threads..

I installed OSX Server and it made a real difference for the connectivity between my devices.

I noticed though that the EX490 never actually goes into sleep mode. And the graphics are sluggish (maybe I should upgrade to 4 GB RAM, and maybe the cpu too? I would like to hook up a USB cam and use some sort of security monitoring software but while both my webcams show up in devices they are not recognized by any software, even with Macam. Also, I had to reinstall 3d party Realtek network drivers to get the network to function without panics.

I am thinking about reinstalling everything since I actually still used the usb hdd on a macbook pro method to install. Would the system install better if I use the vga cable method?

installed the following:

1) Yosemite on EX495 - As advised by the gurus in this forum
2) OSX Server 4 after that. Directly from app store on the HD server
3)Apple Remote Desktop. Directly from app store on the HD server

Checked and it works awesome. Happy until now with my Plex on it and this is serving well. I have a few Q's though:

-H/W raid recognition doesn't seem to be complete. The OS is not able to recognize the eSATA RAID capability of EX495. Not sure if i have to add drivers from somewhere.
-Ram upgrade is preffered. I think Yosemite itself being a heavy OS the lag can be bettered by addition of RAM. Can i add 8GB of a single memory module? this being now a 64 bit OS will it need some tweak on the BIOS for this?
-Bios Upgrade. Is it preferred at all ?
-LED Lights blinking - All lights are green, but one irritating indicator constantly blinks though i think it is happy ...
-OS X Advantages - Not yet investigated but need to explore.

Any help from the Gurus will be appreciated.

Thanks, RN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back