Contribute
Register

Lion Server on an HP Mediasmart EX485

Status
Not open for further replies.
I modified the chameleon boot info plus file for a silent boot and to change the display resolution to 1280 x 1024 so thing would look better when doing remote desktop and the computer would reboot faster.

Great guide! I followed basically what you've done above. I installed lion onto the first hard drive of the EX485 using my desktop pc, then popped the hard drive into the server and it booted without a hitch!

So how do you go about changing the resolution? I've got OSX Lion up and running, plan on installing lion server soon. Its still got 2gb ram (planning on upgrading soon), a 750Gb, 1Tb, and 2TB hard drives. I've upgraded the processor to Core2Duo E7500 2.93Ghz. Lion runs great, but the resolution using screen share is a bit small. The only option I see is 1024x768.

thanks!

topdowndoorsoff said:
I modified the chameleon boot info plus file for a silent boot and to change the display resolution to 1280 x 1024 so thing would look better when doing remote desktop and the computer would reboot faster.

Great guide! I followed basically what you've done above. I installed lion onto the first hard drive of the EX485 using my desktop pc, then popped the hard drive into the server and it booted without a hitch!

So how do you go about changing the resolution? I've got OSX Lion up and running, plan on installing lion server soon. Its still got 2gb ram (planning on upgrading soon), a 750Gb, 1Tb, and 2TB hard drives. I've upgraded the processor to Core2Duo E7500 2.93Ghz. Lion runs great, but the resolution using screen share is a bit small. The only option I see is 1024x768.

thanks!

Can be specific what you did? e.g.
1) Using mac mini (or whatever PC) installed lion onto hard disk via USB (not lion server??)
2) Rebooted into hard disk and set screen sharing, updated system
3) installed multibeast using easybeast and ethernet (which one???)
4) Rebooted and verified it was working
5) Shut down and pulled disk out and put it in EX485 and booted up

I am wondering if you had success with an EX485 - I have an EX490 and I did the above and nothing happened when I put the disk into an EX490. Does the EX490 require a different driver?

whodiini said:
1) Using mac mini (or whatever PC) installed lion onto hard disk via USB (not lion server??)

I am wondering if you had success with an EX485 - I have an EX490 and I did the above and nothing happened when I put the disk into an EX490. Does the EX490 require a different driver?

I've got a windows 7 PC that I built (see profile).

I also have the EX485. I've upgraded the processor to a Core2Duo E7500. I followed the guide on mediasmarthome.com. I modified the BIOS without the KVM adapter. I plan on upgrading to 4gb ram soon. I've got an additional 1TB and 2TB drive plugged in now. (http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/1 ... d-Mirrors/)

So I disconnected all other HDD from my PC and took the first from the bottom hard drive out of the EX485, and connected it to my PC. Adjusted the BIOS according to the iBoot+Multibeast guide and followed the rest to the T. Then I used the install.dmg from my lion install (macbook), put it on a flash drive and moved it to the desktop of SL. Followed xMove+Multibeast then. Rebooted a few times and it was working flawless! I used Easybeast and installed the Realtek network drivers.

I then set up remote login, remote management, and file sharing. remote management let me use screen sharing without having to allow some one to take over the screen. (when i tried it with screen sharing, you had to click accept. I would be able to do this when the hard drive was back in the EX485) After this was working, I took the HDD out of the PC and put it back in the EX485. Booted it up, waited a few minutes. Then opened finder on my MacBook, saw the server pop up in Shared. clicked screen share and it worked! I was able then to adjust any additional settings (like sleep settings, etc).

Now my plan is to set up iTunes for airplay, ssh for remote access to files. I don't think i'm gonna put Lion Server on just because so far I'm able to do everything i need with the built in features of Lion.

Hope that helps!

topdowndoorsoff said:
whodiini said:

I've got a windows 7 PC that I built (see profile).

I also have the EX485. I've upgraded the processor to a Core2Duo E7500. I followed the guide on mediasmarthome.com. I modified the BIOS without the KVM adapter. I plan on upgrading to 4gb ram soon. I've got an additional 1TB and 2TB drive plugged in now. (http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/1 ... d-Mirrors/)

So I disconnected all other HDD from my PC and took the first from the bottom hard drive out of the EX485, and connected it to my PC. Adjusted the BIOS according to the iBoot+Multibeast guide and followed the rest to the T. Then I used the install.dmg from my lion install (macbook), put it on a flash drive and moved it to the desktop of SL. Followed xMove+Multibeast then. Rebooted a few times and it was working flawless! I used Easybeast and installed the Realtek network drivers.

I then set up remote login, remote management, and file sharing. remote management let me use screen sharing without having to allow some one to take over the screen. (when i tried it with screen sharing, you had to click accept. I would be able to do this when the hard drive was back in the EX485) After this was working, I took the HDD out of the PC and put it back in the EX485. Booted it up, waited a few minutes. Then opened finder on my MacBook, saw the server pop up in Shared. clicked screen share and it worked! I was able then to adjust any additional settings (like sleep settings, etc).

Now my plan is to set up iTunes for airplay, ssh for remote access to files. I don't think i'm gonna put Lion Server on just because so far I'm able to do everything i need with the built in features of Lion.

Hope that helps!

Thanks that helps. How did you modify the bios without a KVM? And what did you modify in the bios? I searched the forum and couldnt find what bios settings need to be changed. I think that is my problem as I didnt change the bios settings.

whodiini said:
Thanks that helps. How did you modify the bios without a KVM? And what did you modify in the bios? I searched the forum and couldnt find what bios settings need to be changed. I think that is my problem as I didnt change the bios settings.

I followed the guide on http://www.mediasmarthome.com. Here's the link: http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/1 ... d-Mirrors/

they walk you through it. i didnt disable speed step. for whatever reason, it wouldnt boot when I did. I upgraded the processor while WHS was still installed (before attempting to install OSX)

Anyone know how to do the resolution change mentioned earlier? And are there any drivers to get the LEDs to function correctly? Right now none of the HDD LEDs are on. And the health LED (furthest to the right along the bottom near the front panel USB) is blinking.

ok finally got a KVM and looked at the boot screen
boot0:GPT
boot0: test
boot0:GPT
boot0: error

Any idea what is happening? It doesnt seem to be able to boot.

The drive was set up with easy beast and lion.

Does anyone know if Lion will boot on the EX485 headless (i.e.: no VGA at all) with the standard Celeron processor?

A friend who's got an EX485 is having problems.

They initiated a clean Lion retail install (with Server installed and Ethernet set to a fixed address) from his Mac Mini, installed EasyBeast with Realtek Ethernet drivers and the System Utilities checked (and nothing else).

They then performed a clean shutdown moved the drive over to the EX485 and booted, and waited and waited - nothing.

Short of getting a VGA cable hooked up, anyone have any hints?

fance said:
Does anyone know if Lion will boot on the EX485 headless (i.e.: no VGA at all) with the standard Celeron processor?

They initiated a clean Lion retail install (with Server installed and Ethernet set to a fixed address) from his Mac Mini, installed EasyBeast with Realtek Ethernet drivers and the System Utilities checked (and nothing else).

They then performed a clean shutdown moved the drive over to the EX485 and booted, and waited and waited - nothing.

I do not have my media smart server but I can tell you that troubleshooting the boot process w/o the KVM cable is very hard.
There are links to the modded bios files in the previous posts that conventionally are used for CPU upgrades but you may be able to disable speed stepping with those changes. (PLEASE BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THAT PROCEDURE SINCE IF YOU MESS UP, YOU WILL BRICK THE SERVER AND THAT IS NOT AN EASILY REVERSIBLE PROCESS).
I do not think the celeron CPU is natively supported, therefore you may need to upgrade the CPU before you can achieve this.
I finally gave up on the home server because I could not get a quad core working on this machine and I decided to move to a home built server with an X3550 and 4TB running on RAID 0 +1 in which I can do video transcoding w/o a glitch.

Let us know if we can be of any help.

Good luck.

fance said:

I know this is an older post (now) but I too was trying to get my EX490 (celeron) to boot using the method outlined above. Each time it would simply stall and without the VGA cable, troubleshooting was impossible. I went ahead and threw an extra E7500 processor in place of the Celeron, reinstalled the same hard drive that would not boot with the Celeron, and it booted immediately. Uptime going on 9 days, I have had zero issues since changing the processor.

If one follows the instructions in this thread to install Lion on an HP Mediasmart server, will the esata ports on the Mediasmart server be enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back