Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
As a follow-up on previous guide on how to install Snow Leopard Server on an HP Mediasmart Machine, I decided to upgrade to lion server and the update went pretty well.
I did not use the utility provided in this website but rather created a bootable installation media (there are plenty of guides out there on how to do this - I used my app store bought Lion app to do this). I am not sure you can do this w/o a debug cable since I disabled speed stepping so the CPU information was showed correctly. I am not using a DSDT any more. I decided to go with the easybeast pathway because is easier and relatively hassle free.
Here's what you will need.
1. An HP Mediasmart server (intel CPU therefore EX48x or EX49x - the EX47x have AMD CPU therefore you would need a special kernel that I do not think is available yet)
2. An installation computer, any will do as long as they can boot your installation media. If you have a MAC on a Hackintosh working, you could boot the installation USB/Hard Drive/DVD etc.
3. Download Multibeast and put it on a USB key - better yet, add it to your installation media.
4. A USB or firewire to SATA adapter - this is optional, you could connect the Hard drive directly to the computer you are using for the installation.
4. Lots of patience.
Optional:
- Debug cable to disable speed step on the HP bios and disable/change the boot order for the built in USB recovery disk.

Procedure:
1. Boot your installation computer with the installation media you created.
2. Partition and format the HP Mediasmart hard drive (the first one from bottom to top) in the usual manner (GUI-HFS Journaled).
3. Install OS X 10.7 client on the hard drive you just formatted in the usual manner.
4. Reboot and boot into the newly installed OS on the installation computer - go through the usual new computer stuff.
5. Install Multibeast and the Realtek drivers - remember to run the system utilities also.
6. Reboot to make sure everything is OK and the system is bootable.
7. Install the Server app, enable remote access/management and automatic login in Settings (REMEMBER TO ENABLE SCREEN SHARING AND/OR VNC ACCESS otherwise you will not be able to access. You may also update your software before moving your HD to the server.
8. Insert the hard drive back into the HP server and turn it on. If you enabled automatic login it should go though to the start screen. Access it using screen share, a VNC client or Apple Remote Desktop.
You should have a fully working "Hack Mini" Server.
I modified the chameleon boot info plus file for a silent boot and to change the display resolution to 1280 x 1024 so thing would look better when doing remote desktop and the computer would reboot faster.
This installation even recognized my snow leopard server soft RAID drives.
I hope this helps some people. Please let me know if you need help and good luck.

Neuroman,

Thanks for the guide. I followed to boot OSX Lion Server on my EX490. I simply used Super Duper to clone a Macbook Air to a drive via USB, then booted up via USB to configure the rest. Slapped it into the EX490 and everything seems to be in working order so far.

Only piece I didn't get was the Chameleon boot to change resolution. Could you elaborate on that? Or point me in the right direction?

I tried on an CPU upgraded ex490 (E6500 CPU) and failed. Installed Lion, then easybeast w/ Realtek 2.06 drivers using a macmini with lion installed (hard disk thru USB) . After reboot, the mac mini doesnt restart after installing easybeast, just hangs. restart, set screen and file sharing, auto login and moved it to the EX490. Cant see it on the network. tried it after i installed server and it stll doesnt show on the network.

any suggestions?

pixeldrops said:
Neuroman,

Thanks for the guide. I followed to boot OSX Lion Server on my EX490. I simply used Super Duper to clone a Macbook Air to a drive via USB, then booted up via USB to configure the rest. Slapped it into the EX490 and everything seems to be in working order so far.

Only piece I didn't get was the Chameleon boot to change resolution. Could you elaborate on that? Or point me in the right direction?

Have you upgrade your CPU? Did you do something in the BIOS expect change boot priority?
Thx!

The CPU was upgraded to E5200 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo (SLAY7), but RAM was not.

Whodiini, that happened to me as well, and I ended up starting fresh with a different hard drive. The one I tried on first had some previous hard drive problems. I don't recall the exact options I chose in the Multibeast setup. I may run through it again with a different drive and let you know.

My only issue now is the screen resolution for screen sharing. Only option I have is 1024 x 768.

Thx for answer! I wondering if E7500 would work with Lion. And one more thing, when you have Lion server, can your other Mac like MBA use Time Machine to EX490?

Not sure about that CPU. As long at its an Intel CPU with 2 cores, it should be fine for Lion. I'd just be sure that the board for the server can take it.

Yes, I have both Macbook Air and iMac backing up to Lion Server on EX490. I was perfectly happy with the EX490 running WHS. The incompatibility with Lion, with little to no hope for future HP support, I felt it best to convert it.

I actually bought a 3TB Time Capsule, but did not yet open. Figured I would go ahead and use the storage and resources I already had. Plus I'll need to run Plex and Air Video Server, which I haven't set back up yet.

So far, so good. The Time Capsule is getting returned.

skeptisk said:
Thx for answer! I wondering if E7500 would work with Lion. And one more thing, when you have Lion server, can your other Mac like MBA use Time Machine to EX490?

pixeldrops said:
The CPU was upgraded to E5200 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo (SLAY7), but RAM was not.

Whodiini, that happened to me as well, and I ended up starting fresh with a different hard drive. The one I tried on first had some previous hard drive problems. I don't recall the exact options I chose in the Multibeast setup. I may run through it again with a different drive and let you know.

My only issue now is the screen resolution for screen sharing. Only option I have is 1024 x 768.

Hmm. I started with a new hard drive. Did you use use a cable to change bios settings or did you do it "blind" with a standard EX490?

THX

I have purchased a VGA connector to the EX490(just connect it on the motherboard). Is it posible to install Lion via USB-stick on the EX490? Or do I have to use a second computer to install Lion on a HDD and then put it in the EX490?
Thx! :)

Hi, following the HP debacle, I believe the best option for my now useless HP EX495 is to have it run Snow Leopard. I probably won't need the server stuff since I only want it to run iTunes, MagicJack and be the back up disk for Time Machine.

Unfortunately I am completely new to this and the description above only got me to the "You need to restart your machine" screen.

Can anyone post some more specific steps as to how to achieve this?

Would you think I should rather run Lion? I am concerned that without any modifications the HP will not have enough horsepower.

Many thanks for any advice you can share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back