Contribute
Register

Lion Server on an HP Mediasmart EX485

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bit the bullet and upgraded my EX495 yesterday to Yosemite by simply following the instruction from this thread. Still testing but it seems to perform suprisingly well. The hard drive lights do not work and the led on the front panel blinks but both are minor annoyances. Loaded Plex server but have not configured it yet. Next steps are to reformat 2 hard drives (2TB each) and add them to the system.

I always hated the clunky HP MediaSmart software that never really worked and still will not buy anything from HP because of their lack of support for the MediaSmart Server. Anyway, new life for old hardware and finally our household is Windows free!:D

Anyone successfully upgraded to El Cap?

Similar question. Has anyone with an old EX495 (or other Mediasmart server) upgraded to El Capitan yet?

Well, someone has to do it. I'll be tyring el Capitan on my EX495 this weekend. Keep you posted (started out with a Snow Leopard installation a couple of years ago, these things little machines have turned out to be a great deal :) )

Well, someone has to do it. I'll be tyring el Capitan on my EX495 this weekend. Keep you posted (started out with a Snow Leopard installation a couple of years ago, these things little machines have turned out to be a great deal :) )
Hi how did it go, did you manage to upgrade to El Capitan successfully and are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

My EX 485 system drive died a while back.
And I haven't revived it since.
Would also like to know if anyone has successfully installed El Capitan on this one.
Looking forward for some guides too.
Trying to get rid off MS OS from my machines as well. :)

Hi how did it go, did you manage to upgrade to El Capitan successfully and are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
Did not get it working and gave up after trying for a day. Now running Yosemite again with no issues.

In case anybody still interested: I had no problem installing El Captain on the EX490/495 business variant - the X510. And since upgrading to a Core2 Duo E8600 yesterday, (most powerful options would be a Xeon L3360 or a Core2 Quad Q9550S) I'm running full fledged macOS Mojave on this 8TB machine, for use as a backup and home server.

Both systems are up and running using Clover. Only issue I have is, that it sleep does not work (either cannot be waked via Bonjour, or does not even enter sleep).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back