Contribute
Register

Lion Installation Tutorial for Asus Mobo for the Simpleton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-4960X
Graphics
GTX 970 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm doing this cos I had to scour everywhere finding bits of info here and there to cobble together a successful installation method. It also involved tons of re-installation, so I hop this tutorial will help avoid that for you!

This is aimed at slightly older equipment, as most tutorial about Lion are based on newer chipsets and CPUs. This method has got everything on my system recognised and fully working, including all drives, USB, audio, ethernet, sleep etc. My specs are:

* Asus P5Q SE2 P45 ICH10R Motherboard
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz CPU
* XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB GPU
* 6GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
* 640GB SATA Hard Drive
* 500GB SATA Hard Drive
* 120GB SATA Hard Drive
* Samsung DVDRW DL SATA Optical Drive
* Pioneer DVDRW SATA Optical Drive
* Built in Broadcom 440x Ethernet (Realtek RT8111C)
* Card Reader built into case connecting via internal USB header
* 1920x1080 23" LG Flatron Monitor
* Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0
* Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000

Ok, here goes, follow this to the word and you'll have an equally stable system and a very vanilla/retail system with barely any add in mods. If you have slightly different equipment, it should still work but I won't be able to help on specific, though others might. And if you don't follow it to the word and it fails, then try again and follow it exactly!

I have included all links to documents and software that is needed to make this a whole lot easier for you than it was for me!

PS - I accept no liability for any hardware faults that may occur on your system. This is purely a guide to help you. Just covering my own back :D

Here we go......

1. First thing you need to do is to open your case up to move the USB jumpers. Do this with power cord disconnected! Move the jumpers on the USBPW1-4, USBPW7-10 and USBPW11-12 headers to the +5VSB position. This is with the jumper on the 2 and 3 pin of each header. The attached Asus P5Q SE2 manual has a diagram of the location of each header and the jumper positioning on Page 18. Once that's done, you can close your case back up.

2. Now, I only had my monitor, wireless USB keyboard and mouse, ethernet cable and audio cable connected during the whole installation process, so make sure you have the same.

3. Power on your system and enter the BIOS by pressing 'DELETE' key at boot. (Ensure you have the version 0801 official Asus BIOS. If you don't, download it and use the Asus easy instaler software or burn the ROM onto a CD and flash the BIOS using EZ Flash within the BIOS).

4. Once you are into the BIOS, change ONLY these settings:

* SATA as: AHCI
* MAX CPUID VALUE LIMIT: Disabled
* ACPI2: enabled
* Suspend Mode: S3 only
* Change the boot priority to have your intended OSX hard drive as first to boot

Now save and exit the BIOS.

5. Download the latest iBoot iso file from here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125 and then boot into your system using it. Simply press F8 during the boot up for the pop up menu and choose the disc drive with the iBoot disc in it.

6. Once you are at the iBoot Chimera screen, eject the iBoot CD and replace with the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail DVD. Wait until your drive light has stopped flickering and press F5 twice to refresh the screen and re-initialise your disc drive.

7. Once your 10.6.3 Install DVD pops up, move over to it and type PCIRootUID=1, then press Enter to boot the disc enter the installer.

8. Once your are into the installer, choose your language. Then go to the Utilities tab on the top Finder Bar and choose Disk Utility.

9. Now, a windows will pop up with all your systems drives. Select the drive you want to install OSX onto and choose the Partition tab. Here, you need to name the drive, choose Mac Extended (Journaled) and then hit the Options button, ensuring GUID is selected. Then hit Apply.

10. Once your partitioning is complete, exit Disk Utility. You can now hit Continue on the installer. On the next screen, you can hit Customize and select/de-select whatever you want. I de-selected everything to make the install process quicker. Now hit Continue again and then agree to the terms. Then, choose the drive you just partitioned and click Continue to start the installation process. This process usually takes 20-30 minutes. You may need to wiggle your mouse every few minutes and randomly click on space just to stop it from trying to sleep (this caught me out first couple of attempts causing install to fail). It will finally show you the green success tick and prompt you to Restart.

11. On restart, press F8 (as you did earlier) to enter the boot pop-up menu. Once it comes up, take out the 10.6.3 retail DVD and replace with iBoot again. Now boot from your disc drive again. Once the iBoot Chimera screen shows up, move over to the install you just did, type PCIRootUID=1 and hit Enter to boot your installed 10.6.3 Snow Leopard.

12. Once you are into your Snow Leopard installation, visit http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62 and download the DSDT Editor. You may need to register for free to enter the site. I just used Google Chrome to get it all translated to English automatically.

13. Now, visit http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=385&sid=06950c719e9e53ff4f865cf2f7f04da3. Scroll down til you find Asus P5Q SE2, right click on it and save the link target to your desktop. This will save a .txt file to your desktop.

14. Once your have DSDT Editor and .txt patch downloaded, follow the instructions at http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559 to create your own DSDT.aml and save it to the desktop. Follow this tutorial to the letter and you'll have an error and warning free DSDT.aml.

15. Now you are armed with your fully patched DSDT.aml, visit http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125 and download the latest MultiBeast for Snow Leopard, currently 3.9.1.

16. Now you need to download the 10.6.8 Combo Update. This can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399. Once downloaded, run the installer, installing it to your Snow Leopard drive. When it finishes it will prompt you to restart, DO NOT restart.

17. Now, ensure that your patched DSDT.aml is saved to the desktop. Now, open the MultiBeast you downloaded earlier. It may shut down when you first try, and make the 10.6.8 Combo Update windows disappear too. Ignore this and just re-open MultiBeast if it happens. In MultiBeast, choose ONLY the UserDSDT option and Kext Utility from the Tools section. Continue to install these.

18. Once MultiBeast finishes, you may close it. Now, look in your Application and open Kext Utility. It will ask you for your password. Then simply let it do it's thing. It is actually repairing your permissions and caches. This step needs to be done as for some reason this option in MultiBeast always causes a failure, so ONLY use Kext Utility to do this step.

19. Now restart the system. Let it boot as per usual. It should now boot into your (almost) fully operational Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

20. Once in, run MultiBeast again. Now, ONLY select to install VoodooHDA 2.72 from the audio section within the kexts section.

21. Once MultiBeast is done, close it. Run Kext Utility as you did earlier to repair the permissions and caches. Once Kext Utility is done, reboot your system.

22. You now have a fully operational and stable Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system with all USB, graphics, audio, sleep etc working. Stop here if you only want a Snow Leopard installation.

UPGRADING FROM SNOW LEOPARD TO LION 10.7.2
(This is based on using the 10.7 version of the app which I bought and downloaded at initial release. I believe they are selling progressive version as updates are released, so the version you'd buy now is 10.7.2. This is only guaranteed to work if using 10.7 version of the Lion app)

23. Buy and download the OSX Lion app from the App Store. Latest version, 10.7.2, available at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-lion/id444303913?mt=12&ls=1, though I used,, and this tutorial is based on, the original 10.7 version.

24. Once it is downloaded it will run automatically. If it doesn't simply run it yourself. In the installer, choose to install to your current 10.6.8 drive. This will simply install the files needed to install Lion rather than the actual installation of the OS. Once it has run, it will prompt you to restart. Do so.

25. Now, visit http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125 and download the latest MultiBeast for Lion, currently 4.0.3. This has to be done now as ethernet will not work initially once Lion is installed.

26. Once your have rebooted and back into your 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, run Disk Utility. On your current Snow Leopard drive, create a partition of at least 8GB and title it Installer. You can create a partition in Disk Utility by simply clicking on the root of the drive in the left column, then clicking the partition tab, then clicking on the drive space and then clicking on the + below the box. Once you have created the new partition, you can close Disk Utility.

27. Now, download xMove from http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125. It will open automatically and run through it. Make sure you change the install destination to Installer and DO NOT install it to your current Snow Leopard drive. It should install successfully. If it dones't, it's more than likely because you did not install Lion to the correct drive at step 24. Once it is succesfully installed, reboot.

28. Upon restart, press a key repeatedly to catch the Chimera boot loader. Once it pops up, select to boot into the drive titled Installer.

29. This will now open the normal OSX installer for Lion 10.7. Run through the installer. You do not need to erase/partition anything using Disk Utility on this install (unless you are install to a new empty drive separate from your Snow Leopard drive). For this tutorial, select it to install it over your current Snow Leopard install without erasing/partitioning anything. This will ensure earlier tweaks in Snow Leopard will carry over.

30. Once install is complete, the system will reboot into Lion 10.7. Everything will be working as it was in 10.6.8 except for the ethernet. Now, run the MultiBeast for Lion you downloaded in step 25. ONLY choose to install Lnx2Mac Realtek RTL81xx from the Network option under the kext option. Once it is installed, close MultiBeast.

31. Re-open MultiBeast and now ONLY install the System Utilities option. This will repair your permissions and caches. This option work in MultiBeast under Lion, whereas it doesn't under Snow Leopard. Therefore no need for Kext Utility here as there was previously. Once it has installed, reboot your system.

32. You will now boot into a fully operation Lion 10.7.

33. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459 and download the 10.7.2 Combo Update. DO NOT do this via Software Update. Install the update once downloaded. Reboot once prompted once installation has finished.

34. CONGRATULATIONS. You now have a fully operational and fully stable CustoMac running the latest OSX Lion 10.7.2. You may now use freely, install your software and use Software Update to install add-ons like iTunes updates etc.

I have gone on to a triple boot system, running OSX 10.7.2, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Linux Ubuntu 32 bit. The way I did it was to allocate one physical hard drive (not partition) to each OS. Every time I was installing a new hard drive, I simply made sure only the target hard drive for that OS was connected. Now, I simply press F8 on boot to enter the pop-up boot menu and then choose one of the 3 hard drives, depending which OS I want to boot into.

Attachments

• e4200_p5q se2_contents_web.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 3,760
Will this also work on P5Q SE?
I notice that your chipset is the P45 ICH10R - mine is the P45 ICH10 !

tonnybukdahl said:
Will this also work on P5Q SE?
I notice that your chipset is the P45 ICH10R - mine is the P45 ICH10 !

As it's almost identical motherboard, I'd imagine this method should work yes. If you try it, grateful if you could report your results here.

Will report back as soon as I've tried it ;)

Now I just need to find somewhere to buy the retail 10.6.3 DVD - mine accidently
got a fat scratch from my nephew playing in my office :banghead:
Well, what can you do - 3 year old boys just don't think that much, I guess :crazy:

You can still buy them from Apple or you can get them for cheap from eBay/Amazon. Alternatively, try taking your disc to a local Apple store and see if they replace it for you for free. Mine did at their discretion at no cost to me!

Bunford said:
I have gone on to a triple boot system, running OSX 10.7.2, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Linux Ubuntu 32 bit. The way I did it was to allocate one physical hard drive (not partition) to each OS. Every time I was installing a new hard drive, I simply made sure only the target hard drive for that OS was connected. Now, I simply press F8 on boot to enter the pop-up boot menu and then choose one of the 3 hard drives, depending which OS I want to boot into.

Why not just let Chimera be the bootloader? Thats *sorta* what I'm doing. I set my OSX drive as the primary, it boots and I can load either win7 or OSX from it, and I have win7 to be the default. For some reason though it won't list my Ubu, but I'm working on that as we speak...

Bunford said:
You can still buy them from Apple or you can get them for cheap from eBay/Amazon. Alternatively, try taking your disc to a local Apple store and see if they replace it for you for free. Mine did at their discretion at no cost to me!

Well, the danish Humac apparantly don't do that - I already asked them about this. But I ordered one from the Danish apple store. Please tell me this is the one that's retail ;

http://store.apple.com/dk/product/MC573DK/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for this to arrive in a couple of days - then I'm good to go try installing. Now I just need the patch for Snow Leopard for Radeon 4890 gfx.

Apparently Netkas has removed those from his site so any help is appreciated.

HoochShepherd said:
Bunford said:

Why not just let Chimera be the bootloader? .........For some reason though it won't list my Ubu, but I'm working on that as we speak...

This is why. Using boot pop-up is easier and more reliable!

little problem with P5B modo: at the installation menu, OSX Lion Installer xMove partition, i can only see the higher part of the screen because it's shifted lower to the half...
In verbose mode, i can see that it starts writing from the half part of the screen after the "[PCI Configuration begin]" message...
Any idea to go on? I can't follow the installing instruction by now D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back