Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 3b: Kext Edits - Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went old school and did the DSDT edits manually instead of using the Mountain Lion automatic method (I didn't know this could be applied to Lion also until I read your post and read the fine print) which would have required updating to 10.7.4 first.
The dsdt edits are the same from 10.6.5 to present, excepting the layout-id change in ML. The 10.7.4 issue is AppleHDA.kext, previously discussed and resolved. If you used the new method, you would not have wrestled with the DSDTSE issues described

The dsdt edits are the same from 10.6.5 to present, excepting the layout-id change in ML. The 10.7.4 issue is AppleHDA.kext, previously discussed and resolved. If you used the new method, you would not have wrestled with the DSDTSE issues described

I wasn't complaining. Maybe it sounded that way. I was making an informational post in case others experience the same issue. I've retracted my previous post.

Hello toleda,

Edited AppleHDA with your suggested edits 4 instances in AppleHDA binary and 4 instances in AppleHDAController binary. Installed with KextBeast- double checked edits in S/L/E AppleHDA.kext and confirmed they matched your suggestion before rebooting. On reboot Lion got to grey apple screen for several seconds, closed out saying I must reboot the computer. I rebooted twice, same message. Rebooted to second drive in computer identical to first except for AppleHDA.kext. Installed original AppleHDA.kext from second drive to first drive with KextBeast, rebooted into first drive and I'm back to where I was before I installed AppleHDA.kext with your suggested edits... both drives working with 2 screens, no HDMI audio- suggestions? I'm certain I made the edits correctly as you told me, I double checked them twice, there were 4 and only 4 instances of each device-id in AppleHDA & AppleHDAController binaries

Thank you,

jwk

Hello toleda,

Edited AppleHDA with your suggested edits 4 instances in AppleHDA binary and 4 instances in AppleHDAController binary. Installed with KextBeast- double checked edits in S/L/E AppleHDA.kext and confirmed they matched your suggestion before rebooting. On reboot Lion got to grey apple screen for several seconds, closed out saying I must reboot the computer.
For a KP, boot in verbose mode to see the problem. If you installed the backup AppleHDA.kext to solve the problem, it is likely the edited AppleHDA.kext has a serios problem. Normally, an edit problem results in no HDMI audio. A KP is very unusual. Try the edits one at a time, the AppleHDAController edit first.

I re-edited the panicking kext back to normal and re-installed it using KextBeast. The drive re-booted normally. Next, I re-applied the same kext edits you gave me for AppleHDAController binary only. Installed with KextBeast and rebooted. Panic before it completed booting to desktop. Rebooted -v:

panic (cpu 4 caller ...

Kernel Extensions in backtrace

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (2.1.3f7)
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (2.1.3f7)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IODRVSupport (2.3.2)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.6fc6)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (2.1.3f7)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (2.3.2)
dependency: com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib (2.1.3f7)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

those are the highlights ...what else do you need?

IOReg file:

Attachments

• MacPro-2.zip
    381.3 KB · Views: 94
I re-edited the panicking kext back to normal and re-installed it using KextBeast. The drive re-booted normally. Next, I re-applied the same kext edits you gave me for AppleHDAController binary only. Installed with KextBeast and rebooted. Panic before it completed booting to desktop. Rebooted -v:

panic (cpu 4 caller ...
Your kext edit technique appears to have a problem. Download HDMI_Audio_Kext_Verification.pdf from the end of Post #1 of Snow Leopard HDMI Audio - Part 3b: Kext Edits for NVIDIA 4xx. Try again.

I've been sick for the past week with norovirus, and only working on and off on the Quadro 4000 HDMI audio when I feel well enough. Thanks for directing me to the kext editing document. My kext was edited with the same tool & procedures with only minor differences from what was in the doc (I used kextbeast and installed from the desktop instead of dragging to S/L/E, I didn't color the kexts, and I used copy-and-past to move the kext to the desktop prior to editing instead of drag-and-drop- the only other thing I did was when the edits were made the original binaries were re-named with a "~" prefixing the name, and on one of the edits, never removed that from inside the kext, which I didn't think would make any difference). I know that it only takes one small mistake to render the edited kext a failure so I will follow the guide to the letter next time I feel well enough to work on it. Still, I am surprised that my technique was incorrect- the first thing I did before I rebooted after editing and installing the kext was to go into S/L/E and make certain the edited kext was installed there and that the edits were correct, and the first time I did after I the kernal panic was to install the kext that had been working before the edits so I could boot into that drive, and then re-edit the edited kext that was still on my desktop to undo the edits that were return it to it's original state and installed it with kextbeast- on reboot, the twice edited kext worked again like it had before I did any edits. I'll let you know what happens after I use the guide you recommended to do the edits.

Hi Toleda,

I've edited multiple DSDT's with succes with your guide but i'm stuck with my new MSI GTX 650 TI. The card is functioning perfectly running 3 screens with GraphicsEnabler=no. But i'm stuck at this part. Every time i edit my DSDT i get a black screen after the apple boot screen. I think my system is running but without picture. When i use my backup dsdt of "Lion HDMI Audio - Part 2a: DSDT Edits/Discrete - AMD/Nvidia" everything works (except for hdmi audio ofcourse lol).

If you could put me in the right direction that would be great!

My copy of IOReg: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11109447/Vince’s Mac Pro.ioreg
My functional part 2a DSDT: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11109447/dsdt.aml
My part 3b DSDT without video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11109447/dsdt-blackscreen.aml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back