Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 3a: Kext Edits - AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Part 3a: Lion HDMI Audio Kext Edits - AMD

toleda said:
...Regarding your display, go to System Preferences/Displays and move the Overscan slider until the screen is to your liking.
Hmmm. I don't have a slider. I've never seen a slider on any of my Macs. A slider would be really nice. I went through hell getting my Mac Mini HTPC getting the resolution correct with Overscan checked and using SwitchresX in a trial and error method until I discovered DisplayConfigX. Unfortunately, the latter is written in PPC code and hasn't been or wouldn't be upgraded anytime soon.

I'm using 10.7.1 with your and Tony's modifed AppleHDA and DSDT for my P55M-UD2 and Zotac GT430 based HTPC. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26592

Stork said:
Hmmm. I don't have a slider. I've never seen a slider on any of my Macs.

I'm using 10.7.1 with your and Tony's modifed AppleHDA and DSDT for my P55M-UD2 and Zotac GT430 based HTPC. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26592

You are right. I stuck my gt430 in my hd3000 system and saw only the overscan option. (same on my gt240, sliders on everything else including hd3000!) I select overscan and it works on my HDTV. I've never had to use SwitchresX, etc.

I have a p55m-ud4 with an 870 and a gtx460 in silverstone gd04 enclosure as one of my htpcs. Regarding your latest system, my evga gt430 hdmi audio is working with 10.7.1 and a native AppleHDA, only the dsdt edits are required.

Shortly after I sent the above post about not seeing a slider, I woke my HacHTPC and the GT430 filled the screen with overscan. Dunno what happened, but I did sacrifice a chicken this morning. :lol:

So, I had fun what some of the TV shows in my collection using Plex as my media center app.

Life is good.

WRT to the std AppleHDA and the DSDT. I'll get with Tony, who gave me the modified products which I thought he got from you. Anywho, progress is good, too.

toleda said:
Regarding your display, go to System Preferences/Displays and move the Overscan slider until the screen is to your liking.
I have an Underscan slider in System Preferences/Displays.

The problem, however, is not in Lion - I have full screen edge-to-edge-corner-to-corner screen in Lion. It is in Win7 that the screen leaves the 1/4"-1/2" gap around the edges.
Doesn't do it when connected DVI or DP to DVI connector. Need a panel to test straight Display Port on, but savings to buy a bigger screen just went to repair my car. Now I got to start all over again, but like my relatives down south would say, "C'est la vie, mon cher".

But back to the subject, what do you suggest I try next if everything looks good? Go ahead and try the rest of the DSDT edits even though they shouldn't be necessary?

Going Bald said:
toleda said:
Regarding your display, go to System Preferences/Displays and move the Overscan slider until the screen is to your liking.
I have an Underscan slider in System Preferences/Displays.

The problem, however, is not in Lion - I have full screen edge-to-edge-corner-to-corner screen in Lion. It is in Win7 that the screen leaves the 1/4"-1/2" gap around the edges.
Doesn't do it when connected DVI or DP to DVI connector. Need a panel to test straight Display Port on, but savings to buy a bigger screen just went to repair my car. Now I got to start all over again, but like my relatives down south would say, "C'est la vie, mon cher".

But back to the subject, what do you suggest I try next if everything looks good? Go ahead and try the rest of the DSDT edits even though they shouldn't be necessary?

In Windows, try Catalyst; AMD Radeon Graphics Control Panel.

If I understand, you've done a fresh install of Lion and updated to 10.7.1. AppleHDA is untouched. Plug in your HDMI device and reply with your current IOReg.

toleda said:
In Windows, try Catalyst; AMD Radeon Graphics Control Panel.
Fixed - thanks :thumbup:

toleda said:
If I understand, you've done a fresh install of Lion and updated to 10.7.1. AppleHDA is untouched. Plug in your HDMI device and reply with your current IOReg.
Attached zip contains IOREG of Lion installed over Snowleopard fresh install. Used MultiBeast to install forum DSDT via UserDSDT + ethernet driver only. With the DSDT then edited per your directions.

Also included is IOREG for Lion installed on a blank drive with same edited dsdt and ethernet driver installed MultiBeast UserDSDT.

No other files were installed. Be interesting to compare since the kernel is different.

Attachments

• GB-IOREG.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 90

Woops :oops: that IOREG Lion on blank was 10.7.0. Here is 10.7.1 IOREG on GA-X58A-UD7 rev.1.o F7.

Attachments

• Lion-10.7.1.ioreg.zip
    542.9 KB · Views: 103

Going Bald said:
Woops :oops: that IOREG Lion on blank was 10.7.0. Here is 10.7.1 IOREG on GA-X58A-UD7 rev.1.o F7.

IOReg looks good. What do you use for on board audio?

toleda said:

Currently, for these 2 Lion HDMI audio experimental installs, I have only the Lion AppleHDA.kext for 10.7.1. - therefore, no audio so far.
When I am actually working, I have my ViewSonic connected with DVI and the audio is normally optic digital out to the media center. If I can get HDMI audio working I want to compare and see which sounds best - Digital out or HDMI audio. Then I build the HTPC, making sure the specs on the board include optical out if it sounds better.

BTW, I also have a MSI N460GTX Hawk I can put in and give you dumps for if I can get the 5770 working. (a little extra incentive here, maybe?)

For my working drive (10.6.7) I have ALC8xx.kext and AppleHDA.kext 10.6.2 "Rollback"
For experimental 10.6.8, same. For experimental Lion over 10.6.8, same. For experimental Lion on blank, same.
This combination has worked since ALC8xx.kext was made available.

As you can see, I'm a cautious fellow where the working drive is concerned. I won't update it until I am happy with Lion and sure all apps work with it. I do work some apps and projects with the new Lion installs, but the old drive is there if I get into trouble. Photoshop is not working in Lion too good right now for one example of an app with problems. Found a work around on OS X Daily for actually running it from Lion off the 10.6.8 install, but that's not good enough for a true working main system.

Going Bald said:
toleda said:

Currently, for these 2 Lion HDMI audio experimental installs, I have only the Lion AppleHDA.kext for 10.7.1. - therefore, no audio so far.
When I am actually working, I have my ViewSonic connected with DVI and the audio is normally optic digital out to the media center. If I can get HDMI audio working I want to compare and see which sounds best - Digital out or HDMI audio. Then I build the HTPC, making sure the specs on the board include optical out if it sounds better.

BTW, I also have a MSI N460GTX Hawk I can put in and give you dumps for if I can get the 5770 working. (a little extra incentive here, maybe?)

For my working drive (10.6.7) I have ALC8xx.kext and AppleHDA.kext 10.6.2 "Rollback"
For experimental 10.6.8, same. For experimental Lion over 10.6.8, same. For experimental Lion on blank, same.
This combination has worked since ALC8xx.kext was made available.

As you can see, I'm a cautious fellow where the working drive is concerned. I won't update it until I am happy with Lion and sure all apps work with it. I do work some apps and projects with the new Lion installs, but the old drive is there if I get into trouble. Photoshop is not working in Lion too good right now for one example of an app with problems. Found a work around on OS X Daily for actually running it from Lion off the 10.6.8 install, but that's not good enough for a true working main system.

I believe in cautious as well. I don't know why your 5770 is not making HDMI audio. Please attach a current IOReg with a HDMI device plugged in. I'd like screenshots of 1. Profiler/Graphics and 2. Preferences/Sound/Output. Remind me which motherboard audio codec you have. We can try the HDMI audio on the 460 anytime. Some code is added and applehda is patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back