Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 3a: Kext Edits - AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
toleda said:
Lion HDMI Audio
Part 3a: Lion HDMI Audio Kext Edits - AMD HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx Graphics Cards

With GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist, no changes are required in the DSDT.

1. Jump to b. Audio Kext Edits

With GraphicsEnabler=No in com.apple.Boot.plist, make the following changes to your dsdt.

Add the following code to Device (GFX0) - Modify for your particular Radeon HD 5xxx or HD 6xxx graphics card.
Hi, I came across this post of urs where i can enable audio via HDMI.. really want to do it. Since i am not a programmer or anything i am stuck...
I am using ATI HD6850. MoBo Z68XP-UD3R F4 Bios
I am using boot flag GE=No to boot... can't boot with GE=Yes. So i have to make changes to DSDT. I downloaded the DSDT from tony DSDT database.
To my surprise i do not have GFX0 reference where i can add the code.

Secondly I was not able to download radeon bios decode... i have signed for the forum but it says you do not have permission.

I also tried to look for PEGP... its also not present in my DSDT

Lastly I do not understand anything in the PDF files.... i have read them but don't know what to do with them.

Please help me to do it.

Thanks

mannvicky said:

Lastly I do not understand anything in the PDF files.... i have read them but don't know what to do with them. Please help me to do it.

Thanks
The reason you don't see PEGP, GFX0 and HDAU is because they are not there. The purpose of the dsdt hdmi audio edits is to add those devices. HDMI audio in Lion is a do it yourself project. If you don't understand the instructions, it may be best not to try.

toleda
think i need a little pointer

i am unable to make ati5000controller edits because the code i am supposed to replace is not there

i don't seem to see what i need in the kext edit case studies

am i correct in thinking that the atiframebuffer kext is untouched and that edit was for lion only and the edit needs to be made in the ati 5000controller kext

i know this is all a self learning experience i feel i am not too far away from success

a little more help would be great

(its probably something really simple)

thanks for help so far

toleda said:
mannvicky said:

Lastly I do not understand anything in the PDF files.... i have read them but don't know what to do with them. Please help me to do it.

Thanks
The reason you don't see PEGP, GFX0 and HDAU is because they are not there. The purpose of the dsdt hdmi audio edits is to add those devices. HDMI audio in Lion is a do it yourself project. If you don't understand the instructions, it may be best not to try.
I do understand a part of it :crazy: but really want to try. Thanks for a prompt reply

If i don't try how will i learn?

nige2000 said:
toleda
think i need a little pointer

i am unable to make ati5000controller edits because the code i am supposed to replace is not there

i don't seem to see what i need in the kext edit case studies

am i correct in thinking that the atiframebuffer kext is untouched and that edit was for lion only and the edit needs to be made in the ati 5000controller kext

thanks for help so far
Sorry I missed you earlier post. This is correct "kext edit from 01 to 05"
Snow Leopard is ATIFrambuffer.kext
For Lion, use ATI5000Controller.kext.
Hopefully, you are using the Lion version of the case studies.
Find:
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 05 01
Replace:
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 05 05

Be careful with the edit. Make sure you are in the Vervet framebuffer before you make any changes. The lines above where you are making the change must be the same as below (except the last value).
Code:
Personality: Vervet
ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 4
Disk offset in decimal 488568
0000000    00  04  00  00  00  04  00  00  00  71  00  00  12  04  04  02
0000010    04  00  00  00  14  00  00  00  00  71  00  00  01  12  01  04
0000020    00  02  00  00  14  00  00  00  00  71  00  00  00  00  06  03
0000030    00  08  00  00  00  02  00  00  00  71  00  00  22  05  05  05
You are close.

good and bad news

good we have hdmi audio

bad osx is using tv screen as a secondary monitor (no dock blank desktop) theres no other monitor connected

when i connect dvi monitor i get main desktop on it and hdmi tv goes dead including sound

what did i miss

also i intend to use two monitors on this build so do i need to use a different frame buffer personality

edit:

swapped in another 5770
sense id =1

got it working but osx still thinks theres two displays
extra non existing display shown as vga display
dvi display shown correctly
tv shows as tv as sole monitor as vga as one of two

hdmi sound stops working when two monitors are plugged in

Attachments

• nige’s Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    596.5 KB · Views: 87
toleda said:
mannvicky said:

Thanks
Hi Toleda, can u suggest what i can read so that i can enable the HDMI audio, I have tried reading about DSDT edits... but nothing tells me how to proceed.

I want to ask you one thing, my graphics card is displayed as 6xxx not 6850, is it Ok? or it means i am not getting the full usage of my card?

Thanks

mannvicky said:
Hi Toleda, can u suggest what i can read so that i can enable the HDMI audio, I have tried reading about DSDT edits... but nothing tells me how to proceed.

I want to ask you one thing, my graphics card is displayed as 6xxx not 6850, is it Ok? or it means i am not getting the full usage of my card?

Thanks
The guides tell you exactly how to proceed; do what is described exactly. Your graphics card is not enabled. Try GraphicsEnabler=Yes at the boot prompt.

toleda said:
mannvicky said:

Thanks
The guides tell you exactly how to proceed; do what is described exactly. Your graphics card is not enabled. Try GraphicsEnabler=Yes at the boot prompt.

Thanks toleda, nw I hv bigger problem... If I use GE=Yes my system boots into a blank/black screen... Can u help me fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back