Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 3a: Kext Edits - AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Draft - Part 3a: Lion HDMI Audio Kext Edits - AMD - Draft

Going Bald said:
So far as I can tell, I do not have HD5770.bin unless it is in the gfx card itself. I have never messed with extracting anything from a gfx card (the ./radeon_bios_decode < HD5770 command was supposed to extract it, yes?). The gfx card is original from the factory and I have no idea how to go about changing it. Should be some way to update it similar to updating a main board bios, yes? Here is pic of terminal ls command:
terminal - ls.pngGPU-Z-Profiler- HD5770.zip

ViewSonic VX2433WM - see Profiler pic in zip file

DVD player works, although watching a movie without audio seems strange. Can't test GeekBench, never bought the 64-bit version.

The best way to get your vbios is GPU-Z, However, the easiest way is to use techpowerup.com. The link is Item 6 in the "What you will need:" in the first post above. Select Sapphire/HD 5770 and download a vbios with the same freqs as yours. I have not found any problems using the download .bin file with radeon_bios_decode.

With Geekbench, the free 32 bit version works fine on all systems (except, when the graphics card is not enabled properly).

I didn't find the Profiler .png for your Viewsonic.

Hopefully, it won't be much longer for you to get audio with your DVDs.

profiler pic is in the GPU-Z zip file below the terminal ls pic in previous post

Here is the Geekbench

Attachments

• Going Bald.gb2.zip
    2 KB · Views: 164

Going Bald said:
profiler pic is in the GPU-Z zip file below the terminal ls pic in previous post

Here is the Geekbench

Did you extract your vbios with GPU-Z? Have you run radeon_bios_decode? We have to confirm the framebuffer in Vervet with your vbios.

there is a zip file attached 2 post back with the GPU-Z and the profiler output on the gfx card, but here is the GPU-Z againVaporX HD5770.gif

Attachments

• VaporX HD5770.gif
    VaporX HD5770.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 669

Going Bald said:
there is a zip file attached 2 post back with the GPU-Z and the profiler output on the gfx card, but here is the GPU-Z again

You are so close.
Run GPU-Z.
Select the integrated circuit icon shown in the attachment.
This will result in the .bin file you are looking for.
Copy the .bin file to Lion
Move the .bin file to the same directory as radeon_bios_decode
run radeon_bios_decode in terminal.

gpu_z_vbios.png

Attachments

• gpu_z_vbios.png
    gpu_z_vbios.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 568
Re: Part 3a: Lion HDMI Audio Kext Edits - AMD

Wouldn't you know it. Not HD57xx anything.bin. It was Juniper.bin (attached in a zip file).
I have never had so much trouble trying to execute a single line of code (e.g. the

./radeon_bios_decode < Juniper.bin and hit enter gets me this:
Screen Shot 2011-09-20 at 5.07.12 PM.pngWhat am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-20 at 5.07.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-20 at 5.07.12 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 529
  • Juniper.bin.zip
    47.6 KB · Views: 162

Going Bald said:
What am I doing wrong?
Not sure. It did work for me. I had to ls and then copy and paste Juniper.bin in the command to make it work. I also renamed Juniper to HD5770 and that worked the first time.

Attachments

• hd5770_bios_decode-terminal.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 630

OK, so does the card bios have any pointers as to why no audio? Should I try to find an updated bios on Sapphire's support site and flash the gfx card?

Sound over HDMI does work in Win7.

Not too happy about the approximately .25" of black space along all of the edges where the screen doesn't take up the whole monitor in Win7 like it does in OS X. Know what's causing that and any way to fix it?

Going Bald said:
OK, so does the card bios have any pointers as to why no audio? Should I try to find an updated bios on Sapphire's support site and flash the gfx card?

Sound over HDMI does work in Win7.

Not too happy about the approximately .25" of black space along all of the edges where the screen doesn't take up the whole monitor in Win7 like it does in OS X. Know what's causing that and any way to fix it?

The bios is fine. Is your on board codec an ALC889? Have you had on board audio working? If yes, how? What version is AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E?

Regarding your display, go to System Preferences/Displays and move the Overscan slider until the screen is to your liking.

toleda said:
The bios is fine. Is your on board codec an ALC889? Have you had on board audio working? If yes, how? What version is AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E?

Regarding your display, go to System Preferences/Displays and move the Overscan slider until the screen is to your liking.
Onboard codec is ALC889.
In SL, I used the DSDT edited for audio (and other things) from the forum database + ALC8xx + AppleHDA rollback to 10.6.2 and it worked for 2.1 sound from the green port and the optical digital out to the media center sound system works.

For this fresh install of Lion, I did a new install of 10.6.0, updated to 10.6.8 with combo update, then installed Lion over the 10.6.8 with app store download and xMove and updated to 10.7.1 via the combo download, so the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E is pure vanilla.
(version 10.7.1, I think, but don't hold me to it - I'm at work and can't check it atm.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back