Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 1: Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
toleda said:
Walgus said:
Hi Toleda,

I just checked your DSDT for your Asus system and i noticed that you don't have ALC892 HDEF in your DSDT and i'm wondering if you ever managed to get onboard (alc892) plus hdmi (gtx570 or hd3000) audio working at the same time. If so, would you be able to upload an updated DSDT for the asus system?

I've got my gtx570 hd working fine with the hdmi audio however when i add the alc892 definition to my DSDT (device HDEF...) and reboot, the applehda would throw some assertion errors and the hdmi audio from the gtx570 doesn't show up again in the sound pane.

Thanks!
There are three versions of the P8H67-I-Deluxe posted: 1) 892 on board/HD3000 HDMI audio with a layout-id=188 (392 dec), 2) 892 on board/AMD graphics cards with a layout-id=37C (892 dec) and 3) 892 on board/Nvidia graphics cards with a layout-id=37C (892 dec). The 892 layout disables all audio when HD3000 HDMI audio is enabled. The 392 layout provides 892 on board and HD3000 HDMI audio.

The P8H67-I-Deluxe/Nvidia dsdt is attachment 4 http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31947.
DisplayPort audio on my GTX 570 HD is working as well http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=32041. The dsdt you saw has both HD3000 HDMI audio and AMD/Nvidia with the audio id:392. At this point you can have either/or, not both, at the same time.

In a week or so, I will post a new thread for a 10.7.2 892 edited AppleHDA.kext with both layouts enabling 892 on board audio, HDMI audio and DisplayPort audio for any motherboard with an ALC892 (assuming the dsdt HDMI audio edits are correct).

Hi toleda, thanks for shedding me so much light.

I used the binpatches posted on this link (perl commands) on my already working GTX570 hdmi AppleHDA.kext and i get assertion errors at verbose boot plus a black screen when it is about to go into desktop mode (no kp message, just black screen) and i have to issue a restart in -s mode to restore applehda.kext to latest working version. Are those the binpatching commands/hex numbers and platforms.xml/layout892.xml are you using to make your alc892 work along with the gtx570 hdmi audio on your asus system? Note though that i've already a working applehda.kext for gtx570 hdmi, it's the alc892 bin patching on top of the hdmi patches that's causing me a lot of hair pulling :crazy:

My motherboard is an ASRock (Asus subsidiary) z68 pro gen3, the alc892 binpatching alone with the HDEF dsdt works great on it, its the mix of the two binpatches that's causing my system to freeze on black screen when it's about to go into desktop mode, in other words, i cant get both onboard+gtx570 audio to work along, it must be either of the two :(

Also, what smbios (imac 11,3; macpro 3,1; etc) definition are you using?

Thanks again!

Walgus said:
[

Hi toleda, thanks a lot for shredding me so much light.

I used the binpatches posted on this link (perl commands) on my already working GTX570 hdmi AppleHDA.kext and i get assertion errors at verbose boot plus a black screen when it is about to go into desktop mode (no kp message, just black screen) and i have to issue a restart in -s mode to restore applehda.kext to latest working version. Are those the binpatching commands/hex numbers and platforms.xml/layout892.xml are you using to make your alc892 work along with the gtx570 hdmi audio on your asus system? Note though that i've already a working applehda.kext for gtx570 hdmi, it's the alc892 bin patching on top of the hdmi patches that's causing me a lot of hair pulling :crazy:

My motherboard is an ASRock (Asus subsidiary) z68 pro gen3, the alc892 binpatching alone with the HDEF dsdt works great on it, its the mix of the two binpatches that's causing my system to freeze on black screen when it's about to go into desktop mode, in other words, i cant get both onboard+gtx570 audio to work along, it must be either of the two :(

Thanks again!
Regarding the bin patch link, It is very disappointing when something takes another's work and claims as their own. Here is the original post by .:ErmaC:. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266531&st=60&p=1752351&#entry1752351. Yes, I use that bin patch with the appropriate credit. The black screen is actually caused by a problem in the pathmaps (Platforms.xml).

If you are interested, attached is the 10.7.2 892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA. It is patched for the 892. Please test the kext "as is" for 892 on board audio. Then test with the GTX 570 patch (I patch de 10 ea 0b and 14 00 de 10 to the 570 values). I am running this with the P8H67-I-Deluxe/GTX 570 HD on iMac12,2. Note, I get the black screen on my ASRock Vision 3D (HM55/GT 425M) with the same AppleHDA.kext. Let me know your results.

Attachments

• 892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
toleda said:
Walgus said:
[

Hi toleda, thanks a lot for shredding me so much light.

Thanks again!
Regarding the bin patch link, It is very disappointing when something takes another's work and claims as their own. Here is the original post by .:ErmaC:. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266531&st=60&p=1752351&#entry1752351. Yes, I use that bin patch with the appropriate credit. The black screen is actually caused by a problem in the pathmaps (Platforms.xml).

If you are interested, attached is the 10.7.2 892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA. It is patched for the 892. Please test the kext "as is" for 892 on board audio. Then test with the GTX 570 patch (I patch de 10 ea 0b and 14 00 de 10 to the 570 values). I am running this with the P8H67-I-Deluxe/GTX 570 HD on iMac12,2. Note, I get the black screen on my ASRock Vision 3D (HM55/GT 425M) with the same AppleHDA.kext. Let me know your results.
Sorry if i sounded as if they were my work, was never intending to do so, neither the content in that link i posted is mine. I'm in fact thankful for the excellent guides you've brought to us and all the progress i've managed to get so far on my new system were thanks to you, tony, ErmaC and the community input in general :)

I tried your ALC892 AppleHDA.kext and it worked great for the onboard audio alone, however when mixing with the GTX570 hdmi binpatches it complains about some sort of pathmaps assertion errors in lines 2037 and 997 or so and then it goes into black screen the moment it tries to go into desktop (have to restore back to working applehda.kext). Seems like both binpatches can't go along together for now, it must be either alc892 patch or nvidia hdmi patch.

TL;DR
ALC892 patch alone --> OK
GTX570 patch alone --> OK
ALC892 patch + GTX570 HDMI patch ---> pathMaps assertion errors with black screen freeze

Walgus said:
I tried your ALC892 AppleHDA.kext and it worked great for the onboard audio alone, however when mixing with the GTX570 hdmi binpatches it complains about some sort of pathmaps assertion errors in lines 2037 and 997 or so and then it goes into black screen the moment it tries to go into desktop (have to restore back to working applehda.kext). Seems like both binpatches can't go along together for now, it must be either alc892 patch or nvidia hdmi patch.

TL;DR
ALC892 patch + GTX570 HDMI patch ---> pathMaps assertion errors with black screen freeze
Thanks for the feedback. What AppleHDA.kext did you use for the "GTX 570 patch alone" test? My Asus P8 is out of service on RMA so I can't verify my claim at this time. Did you have similar results with the 10.7.1 AppleHDA? As I mentioned I have the same problem on my ASRock Vision 3D and 10.7.2. If you solve this, please let me know and I the same.

toleda said:
Walgus said:

TL;DR
Thanks for the feedback. What AppleHDA.kext did you use for the "GTX 570 patch alone" test? My Asus P8 is out of service on RMA so I can't verify my claim at this time. Did you have similar results with the 10.7.1 AppleHDA? As I mentioned I have the same problem on my ASRock Vision 3D and 10.7.2. If you solve this, please let me know and I the same.

Same result on 10.7.1 AppleHDA.kext (2.1.1f12), black screen on alc892+nvidia patch.

For the GTX570 nvidia patch alone i used AppleHDA.kext 10.7.2 (2.1.3f7)

I'm out of ideas for now, i guess it's something related to the pathMaps or so (platforms.xml), as you said.

The assertion errors goes along these lines:
Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in AppleHDA sourcecache...

I'm new to dsdt edits. I have 2 computers that I need dsdts for. One is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a Q6600 and an 9800gt. The other is an Asus IPIBL-LB with an e6400 and a Nvidia 560. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:D

tim2lman said:
I'm new to dsdt edits. I have 2 computers that I need dsdts for. One is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a Q6600 and an 9800gt. The other is an Asus IPIBL-LB with an e6400 and a Nvidia 560. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:D
HDMI audio is a DIY project. The guides tell you how to do it. Good luck.

Thanks for this great tutorial!

I thought I had completed it, but nothing has changed so I did something wrong. I am going to try to undo what I have done and start over. Before I go for it again I wanted to find out if my card is compatible. I have an EVGA GTX280, everything displays properly regarding Lion compatibility. It is a DVI card, so I use a DVI to HDMI cable to run audio and video from it. It works on other OSes, so my problem is in OSX. My motherboard is the GA-Z68XP-UD3 that was recommended in the most recent tonymacx86 builds.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with HDMI audio?

dlbass93 said:
Thanks for this great tutorial!

I thought I had completed it, but nothing has changed so I did something wrong. I am going to try to undo what I have done and start over. Before I go for it again I wanted to find out if my card is compatible. I have an EVGA GTX280, everything displays properly regarding Lion compatibility. It is a DVI card, so I use a DVI to HDMI cable to run audio and video from it. It works on other OSes, so my problem is in OSX. My motherboard is the GA-Z68XP-UD3 that was recommended in the most recent tonymacx86 builds.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with HDMI audio?
OSX HDMI audio requires a graphics card audio codec. Two ways to check for audio codec: 1. If the card has a HDMI connector, it may have an audio codec or 2. bdmsg or lspci will list vga graphics at 1.00 (example) and the vga audio codec at 1.00.1.

If your GTX280 doesn't have an audio codec, then HDMI audio in OSX is not an option.

Thanks Toleda,

I do not think my card has an onboard codec. I have been wanting to upgrade anyway. I see that you have the GTX 570, my friend just got an EVGA one with a full HDMI port. Do you recommend one like that? Will it be easy(ish) to get working with HDMI audio?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130622

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back