Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6xxx (1 GB)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is it possible to install OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion together with windows XP onto a single hard drive?
I couldn't mange to do it. For me the hidden GPT Partition of OS X Lion with ID EE is the source of trouble because windows xp isn't able to handle this partition. When installing windows, the installer sees a unknown partition and installs into partition 2. After copying the install files and reboot, windows installer doesn't see the hidden partition and thus looks for windows xp on the wrong partition. All tricks I used to circumvent this by altering the partition tables doesn't work.

I managed to install windows xp by altering the MBR partition table before install. But when I have a first MBR partition of type EE, windows XP won't start. If I remove that partition, or change type to something else, windows xp will start but OS X lion can't be seen by the boot loader.

Would be nice if someone could give me a hint.

rale

Hi GB
And thanks for the reply.
Are you referring to the section that starts "This is a step by step guide to installing WinXP on AHCI with Lion on separate hard drive." ?

If so, is it possible to install XP to the same drive? - my ssd?
Thamks.

Hi GB
And thanks for the reply.
Are you referring to the section that starts "This is a step by step guide to installing WinXP on AHCI with Lion on separate hard drive." ?

If so, is it possible to install XP to the same drive? - my ssd?
Thamks.

Yes, for what you want you need the last section - External drive method to get OS X on MBR drive with Win7. Change Win7 to XP.
This will work with XP, but there are several disadvantages which I listed. And you will have to enable AHCI in WinXP first, which is a PITA to do after it is installed, or slipstream the AHCI drivers into the XP install process, which can only be done with a 3.5" floppy drive - another problem, as who uses floppy drives anymore?

Better to use Win7 and run the XP programs in XP mode or use a VM to run XP.

Better yet to use separate HDDs and one of these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990016 and only put the drive for the OS you are booting in the build.
I only single boot since they came out with this hotswap tray and I bought one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back