Contribute
Register

Lion 10.7.2 RAID-0 with TonyMacX86 tools & Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
stradivari said:
UH OH!!

Something is not right with this... can't repair permissions from Disk Utility (have to go to terminal, sudo diskutil repair permissions /), and when I try to benchmark the boot disk using Speedtools, I am told I don't have permission to write to this volume. :-\

Whuh?!

After applying the guide I have the same problem with repairing permissions from within Disk Utility. It's no biggie, but I will dig around a bit and try to find a solution.

@Benchmarking: In the info window of your boot disk/RAID, just set "everyone"'s permissions to "read & write". For safety purposes you might want to disable your internet connection first. After the test is done, remember to set the permissions back to "read only".

@iCloud functionality: I used 10.7.4 and Chimera 1.10. As far as I can tell, iCloud works. At least it pushes edited contacts to my other devices.

App Store works, too.

Three cheers for neilhart for putting together this guide! :clap:

P.S.: I used MBA 2010/2011 SSDs. I posted about that in the Customization sub-forum.

I finished investigating the Disk Utility issue:

It's just that Lion's Disk Utility.app won't check/verify etc. RAID volumes. It's as simple as that. This has been known to Apple for at least a year now... (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193537?start=0&tstart=0) :rolleyes:

But who cares? We can still use the command line. ;)

Yes, I found that, too. Kind of a pain. I also found a way to run the benchmark app (not that I want to run it more than once... SSD degradation and all...) Just in the terminal, type sudo, and drag the executable from inside the .app package into the terminal window; run with super user permission.

It's worth the inconvenience to have a 1GB/sec read and write boot drive. :)

Also, the Multibeast Trim enabler works even in RAID. Both drives are listed as Trim supported in SP. A week later, I booted back into my old clone on the 7200 RPM drive. PAINFUL.

It works great after following this guide. Now, how do I upgrade to Mountain Lion? Will these step work?

- purchase Mountain Lion thru App Store
- run install app
- reboot

Thanks,

Mountain Lion Install

Hi Neil.

I have just completed my installation of Mountain Lion using the Unibeast, Multibeast, Chimera 1.11 install with Mountain Lion and following up with your method for RAID. Waited over 18 hours for the download from the app store.It worked like a charm. I have 2 Corsair 60GB force 3 drives. HD4000 Graphics works with full Qi/CE. iCloud works and messages. Don't know about FaceTime though.

My system specs are similar to yours with MSI Z77A-G45 mainboard.
The SSD's seem to be running slower in RAID 0 than by themselves. Alone they run at almost manufacturer specs, but in Raid 0 they seem to be much slower. I think it must be a bios setting or something. Only getting 300MB/s read. not sure what's up with that. Just happy that everything is running smooth right now.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks again for the guide.

Running Dell 530, issue is with iCloud in RAID. I have followed the instructions several times now but each time I can not get icloud to work in RAID whether it be lion or mountain lion. My setup works with icloud off of a single drive but not off of a Raid. I have tried deleting network preferences, editing SMBIOS.plist, lots of messing with mounting and unmounting raid drives, I think I am going insane! I feel if it is sound enough to work with one drive in theory it should be fine for the RAID. Any help would be much appreciated.

koushka

ps this guide is wonderful, no way I would be able to do something like this without the great help of it.

I was thinking is it necessary to have install osx in one then clone it to raid ? If i make the raid from disk utility in osx installation time and try to install osx in the raid ? will it work ?

Hi Neil.

I have just completed my installation of Mountain Lion using the Unibeast, Multibeast, Chimera 1.11 install with Mountain Lion and following up with your method for RAID. Waited over 18 hours for the download from the app store.It worked like a charm. I have 2 Corsair 60GB force 3 drives. HD4000 Graphics works with full Qi/CE. iCloud works and messages. Don't know about FaceTime though.

My system specs are similar to yours with MSI Z77A-G45 mainboard.
The SSD's seem to be running slower in RAID 0 than by themselves. Alone they run at almost manufacturer specs, but in Raid 0 they seem to be much slower. I think it must be a bios setting or something. Only getting 300MB/s read. not sure what's up with that. Just happy that everything is running smooth right now.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks again for the guide.

check out the fix for icloud facetime and messages over here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ng-tonymacx86-tools-chimera-9.html#post497780

sorry noob here.
im getting an error. it cant find the boot0 file?
im using mountain lion 10.8.3
ScreenShot2013-05-02at25918PM_zpsa721999f.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back