Contribute
Register

Lion 10.7.2 RAID-0 with TonyMacX86 tools & Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
armisoft said:
As you guys recommend me, I purchased a Crucial M4 128Gb SSD and I set the other 2 WD in RAID0 mode. I made a little video showing the speeds by copying a ~8Gb file and strating up Lion 10.7.3
I think I saw it faster a few days later than this video...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YK9CbDbmqs[/VIDEO]​

For some reason I think you're boot time should've been even faster on the ssd. Did you have any external drives plugged in when you did the boot?

If I have my backup firewire drives plugged in at boot it takes a good 10 seconds of the spinning circle before the login screen. But when I don't have those drives plugged in I don't even get one full spin of the circle and I'm at the login screen.

genzai said:
Hey,
Do you folks using 1.9.2 on raid0 boot drive have working facetime and messages beta?
Mine stopped working and i wonder if the "facetime fix" is broken in latest chimera? Can anyone confirm?

raid0 128gb ocz agility SSD
SSDT fix

Thanks,
g\

Not sure about FaceTime, but the Messages beta isn't working for me. iCloud works fine however. If you find anything out, please update us. Thx

Can anyone else running latest 1.9.2 chimera test these apps out? i would love to confirm and then make an official bug report.
thanks,
g\

solidst8 said:
Not sure about FaceTime, but the Messages beta isn't working for me. iCloud works fine however. If you find anything out, please update us. Thx

Hello together,
i have some problems with the Raid0 configuration. I followed the guide and everything works fine so far. But after i unpluged the parent OSX drive from where i started i get "can't find" at the bootscreen, directly after i select "Boot OS X" <enter>.

When i start in verbose mode, i see
Read HFS+ file ... /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist 479 bytes
Loading Darwin 10.7
Loading kernel com.apple.P
Can't find

and thats it. Has anyone an idea what went wrong ?

bertig said:
Hello together,
i have some problems with the Raid0 configuration. I followed the guide and everything works fine so far. But after i unpluged the parent OSX drive from where i started i get "can't find" at the bootscreen, directly after i select "Boot OS X" <enter>.

When i start in verbose mode, i see
Read HFS+ file ... /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist 479 bytes
Loading Darwin 10.7
Loading kernel com.apple.P
Can't find

and thats it. Has anyone an idea what went wrong ?

Did you make the RAID with more than 1TB?? I had the same problem. I had to buy a SSD to put the Lion on it, and after use my RAID to work with my data.

ffk said:
armisoft said:
As you guys recommend me, I purchased a Crucial M4 128Gb SSD and I set the other 2 WD in RAID0 mode. I made a little video showing the speeds by copying a ~8Gb file and strating up Lion 10.7.3
I think I saw it faster a few days later than this video...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YK9CbDbmqs[/VIDEO]​

For some reason I think you're boot time should've been even faster on the ssd. Did you have any external drives plugged in when you did the boot?

If I have my backup firewire drives plugged in at boot it takes a good 10 seconds of the spinning circle before the login screen. But when I don't have those drives plugged in I don't even get one full spin of the circle and I'm at the login screen.

Yes.. I think it should be faster, but I don't have any firewire nor usb or external hdd's. I have a i7 2600k with 16 Gb DD3 1600Mhz... I really think it should be faster, but I don't know what could be causing that.

no, definitely not. I use 2 x Intel X25-E with 32 GB
But i found, that i leave the parent HDD online i can start Lion with Raid0. There must be a link or something to the original drive...

NOW 10.7.3 Raid0 SSD, yes, finally I got it!

First Off, This Forum Rocks! After an evening of tinkering I now have Lion 10.7.3 running in Raid0 on two corsair SSD's.

I installed a little differently and I think I should share....however this is a very quick down & dirty run thru....not for the faint hearted.

Step 1. Prepare working copy of 10.7.3 on separate HD from raid hd's
-In my case I had Chimera setup with options to boot Win7/linux on the same HD(in diff partitions). Chimera boot loader w/options will still work in raid0 array after this install.
-Finalize any additional tweaks, kext edits, etc. for Lion 10.7.3 partition.

Step 2. Prepare SSD's in Raid0 from within existing lion partition.
-write down/copy/screen-capture UUID of raid array

Step 3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to Clone 10.7.3 onto newly created raid array.

Step 4. Follow Neilhart's steps on pg 1. section 2 (THANK YOU neilhart!)
-Copy /Extra's folder to Desktop, modify boot.plist for kernel cache/RAID UUID strings
-Use Fdisk, DD, CP commands to prepare/move boot0 & extra's on disk(s) partitions

Step 5. modify "com.apple.Boot.plist" by adding key/string for UUID of raid array.
-This is very similar to Coupz post located bottom pg 4 (Thank you Coupz!)
-I had to unmount then mount raid0 array not individual partitions...
-find: com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file
-Copy to desktop and add UUID string same as Coupz post.
-enable Super User Do in separate command line: sudo su
-Go to that same directory/folder and replace the com.apple.Boot.plist file with the one you just modified. I simply busted out some nasty command line kung-Fu but you could also simply drag and drop these locations/files into the command line....WA POW!
-Lion will prompt you to over-ride this file/admin password, do it!

Step 6. Ensure that your raid0 array is first in mb boot priority.

Step 7. Test to ensure you can use Chimera "F10" to load either win7, linux, or newly created Lion 10.7.3(Raid). If you have all that... If all goes well you can now delete the previous 10.7.3 non-Raid partition.

Hope this helps anyone who had issues w/10.7.3 Raid0.

-Enjoy!

Thank you for this. I set up a 2x120GB Vertex 3 boot RAID (benched at 1GB+/sec) this afternoon. Didn't work the first time I tried, because when you copy and paste the RAID uuid, it inserts a space after AND before, which bungs things up. I deleted the space in front of the identifier, and it booted right up (insanely quickly). :)

One question though... this means that when you boot from the RAID drive, it is using the extra folder on the helper partition, right? Does the boot loader then ignore the /Extra folder on the RAID volume? Isn't this going to be a pain when tinkering with stuff? I mean, you'll have to mount those two partitions every time and rewrite the extra folder, right?

UH OH!!

Something is not right with this... can't repair permissions from Disk Utility (have to go to terminal, sudo diskutil repair permissions /), and when I try to benchmark the boot disk using Speedtools, I am told I don't have permission to write to this volume. :-\

Whuh?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back