Contribute
Register

Lion 10.7.2 RAID-0 with TonyMacX86 tools & Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lion 10.7.2 RAID-0 with TonyMacX86 tools & Chimera 1.6.0

opty said:
neil you are the man, it worked perfect with my pair of ssd crucial M4 and smoking fast RAID 0 setup :thumbup:

the first reboot it crashed on me but it seems to be fine after that.
how reliable is software raid? i do have backups going and most of my data would be on a separate disk anyway.

Thanks

TM it, or CCC/SuperDuper it once in awhile.

Even a RAID/5 or 6 needs to be backed up. Just the redundancy of RAID isn't enough.

I backup my RAID0 boot volume & my RAID5 9TB (4.2 worth of data) to a 2nd 6TB RAID5 array - and check the status of my ARRAYS and individual drive SMART status every day or two.

Plus I "snapshot" my boot drive once a week (depending on how much additional apps & data I add) just to be sure.

Never can be too safe with data.

In the case of a RAID0 stripe, one drive goes - all data goes. Simple enough to take your last TM snapshot or CCC/SuperDuper snapshot, and just re-do the procedure in Post#1. After screwing it up a few times initially, I could probably get the system back up (using a generic base install on an old laptop drive - I always keep a virgin base boot drive so I can get back onto my box & drives in an emergency) in under an hour.

For those of us that depend on our boxes for our livelihoods, never can be TOO SAFE...

Rick

Thank you for the guide. I followed exactly your steps but upon booting I got an error saying that "Can't find mach kernel". Then I booted using Unibeast USB and opened up the terminal and copy over the mach_kernel file into Boot OS X partitions on both drive and it boots.

I'm using 2 x 500GB HDD as my boot drive and this is the screenshot from xbench

ScreenShot2011-11-30at55720AM.jpg

:think: my question is this ..

if i run Multibeast again at a later date and changes are made to the Extra folder and/or the org.chameleon.boot.plist file do i need to make the changes to the files in the hidden boot partition .. :?:

eyeb1 said:
:think: my question is this ..

if i run Multibeast again at a later date and changes are made to the Extra folder and/or the org.chameleon.boot.plist file do i need to make the changes to the files in the hidden boot partition .. :?:

Yes. When booting from the RAID 0 set, the /Extra folder in the helper partition on the member of the RAID set is the one that the system reads.

neil

Thank you for the guide. I followed exactly your steps and my SSD Raid 0 finally bootable but it stucks on the apple logo grey page... with the loading circle.
I used Chimera 1.7. If i boot back to my previous partition which i used to do all the clone and steps than every things will be fine. any ideas?

chongkkmy said:
Thank you for the guide. I followed exactly your steps and my SSD Raid 0 finally bootable but it stucks on the apple logo grey page... with the loading circle.
I used Chimera 1.7. If i boot back to my previous partition which i used to do all the clone and steps than every things will be fine. any ideas?

Please try booting to the RAID set using -v verbose mode and see where the process stops.
This may give you and idea of what is causing the problem.

And you can revert to Chimera 1.6.0 of 1.5.4 both of which I have tested.

neil

Thanks for the reply...
This is what i get from verbose mode
IMG_3950.JPG

there is quite lot of failure... i think the boot loader only load 1 of the HHD instead of the whole raid disk.

Is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist setup correctly?
Screen%20Shot%202011-12-20%20at%2000.21.40.png

this is my raid0 info
Screen%20Shot%202011-12-20%20at%2000.04.25.png

chongkkmy - Okay I am at a loss for a reason for the hang up. I will re-setup my RAID set test bed and try using Chimera 1.7. Give me a day or two to look at this.

neil

Great ! I used this raid-0 setting 1 year ago, on a SL10.6.4 already. Later I will test it on Lion10.7.2.

neilhart said:
chongkkmy - Okay I am at a loss for a reason for the hang up. I will re-setup my RAID set test bed and try using Chimera 1.7. Give me a day or two to look at this.

neil

Okay I found that Chimera 1.7 would boot the RAID 0 set, however I had to go back to 1.6 to retain iCloud functionality. So for now the guide should be used with Chimera 1.5.4 and Chimera 1.6.0.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back