i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings all,
I have a virtually perfect Hackintosh running Yosemite 10.10.3 everything bar handoff and continuity working, soon to be resolved with a mac airport card which is in the post. I have Windows 7 installed through Clover in a GPT formatted hard disk. I have another disk which I wish to install Debian Linux on. I have researched thoroughly for a decent guide, but most refer to UEFI systems, my ageing Z68AP-D3 motherboard is rev1. so no UEFI. I've attached my boot log. Any help appreciated :thumbup:
View attachment boot.log

*****SOLVED**** Used DVD image instead of USB stick. Not sure why I couldn't get the USB to install:rolleyes:

*****EDIT******* Installed Debian via Clover, it is GPT;

ST31000524AS:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
Model: ST31000524AS
Revision: JC4B
Serial Number: 9VPDQZ8Q
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk3
Rotational Rate: 7200
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
NO NAME: Capacity: 536.9 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
BSD Name: disk3s1
Content: EFI
Volume UUID: DD09C0EE-E00C-3BE3-B8D7-6E60F6910144
disk3s2:
Capacity: 10 GB (10,000,269,312 bytes)
BSD Name: disk3s2
Content: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4
disk3s3:
Capacity: 16.99 GB (16,994,271,232 bytes)
File System: Linux Swap
BSD Name: disk3s3
Content: Linux Swap
disk3s4:
Capacity: 972.67 GB (972,671,680,512 bytes)
BSD Name: disk3s4
Content:0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4/QUOTE]

Added the following lines to config.plist in Clover;

<dict> <key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Theme</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>NO NAME</string>
<key>Hidden</key>
<false/>
<key>Ignore</key>
<false/>
<key>Path</key>
<string>EFI/debian/grubx64.efi</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Linux</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>DD09C0EE-E00C-3BE3-B8D7-6E60F6910144</string>
<key>VolumeType</key>
<string>Internal</string>
</dict>/QUOTE]

But it doesn't show up at Clover boot screen. I can put clover usb stick in USB3 and boot from efi hdd from file as so;

IMG_1790.jpg

This will let me boot into Debian, by choosing grubx64.efi. How can I do this with Clover. Debian is bootable obviously. Any help appreciated :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I have never tried to boot Debian with Clover, and this is just idea that occurred to me off top of my head, but in EFI partition dual booting with Windows you have a Windows folder with the Windows boot file in it that is used to boot Windows from Clover. Have you tried creating a Debian in the same place in the EFI folder and putting the Grub boot file in it? Don't know if that will work or not but worth trying it.

I would give it a shot but I do not currently have a Debian drive to work with and no time to make one right now.

Yes. I have tried that and edited it into config.plist, but it just doesn't show up in Clover. Like I say, when I boot from my Clover USB stick it boots fine. Like so :banghead:

IMG_1792.jpg

When I put the Debian folder with grubx64.efi in esp I got a grub error when I try and boot of the stick :eek: Incidentally, this the output I get when I press space bar, it might help;

IMG_1793.jpg

Why does your Linux partition UUID not match the Linux boot volume UUID?
Perhaps this is the problem?

Why does your Linux partition UUID not match the Linux boot volume UUID?
Perhaps this is the problem?

Good question, boosting from the hard disk, it is not present. I have attached boot logs from booting with USB installer and from hard disk.
View attachment bootlog.log View attachment usbbootlog.log
The usb installer is legacy, whereas the hard disk boots from ESP. I thought Clover could boot legacy partitions, maybe not Debian. It's got me scratching my head though :D

Good question, boosting from the hard disk, it is not present. I have attached boot logs from booting with USB installer and from hard disk.
View attachment 136892 View attachment 136893
The usb installer is legacy, whereas the hard disk boots from ESP. I thought Clover could boot legacy partitions, maybe not Debian. It's got me scratching my head though :D

In the boot section of Clover there is a Legacy Boot key with a string PBR IIRC. This is where you would put the UUID of a legacy installed Windows drive to boot it. Try putting the Debian UUID there and instaling Grub in the Debian root or in /boot

In the boot section of Clover there is a Legacy Boot key with a string PBR IIRC. This is where you would put the UUID of a legacy installed Windows drive to boot it. Try putting the Debian UUID there and instaling Grub in the Debian root or in /boot

Do you mean adding a custom entry in Clover Configurator? I'm not sure where the PBR IIRC string is. Debian has it's own EFI folder in a FAT32 partition, similar to Clover (installed to ESP) I've tried adding that as a path and adding the Debian disk uuid. When it boots from the USB you'll notice it goes to the /boot folder in /. My Debian system is in it's own partition, as is the Home folder.

Weirdly, I can only boot Debian with the USB installer when it's in the USB3 port :eek: in a USB2 and it doesn't show up???

Thanks for the help by the way :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back