Graphics
EVGA GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a Cooler Master Hyper 412 PWM and I intend to do a light overclocking. My idea is to just set higher multipliers for the Turbo Boost, from what I've read something between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz seems very stable under this set up of the GA-Z77-DS3H + 3570K.

Now I'm stuck because my Turbo Boost is not working properly. If I set EIST to Auto or Enabled, it won't go past 3.4GHz, if I disable it, it will throttle from 1.6GHz directly to 3.8GHz, so even if I try to set a higher multiplier, it won't work as I want.

I want it to go from 1.6GHz > 3.4GHz > 3.8GHz. Once the Turbo Boost is working, I intend to set a higher multiplier for Turbo Boost nad I hope it all works. The default setting for Turbo Boost multipliers are 38x, 38x, 37x and 36x for each core so is it better, for instance, if I set it to 44x, 44x, 43x and 42x or I can set all 4 cores to 44x?

As I'm understanding, this MoBo has some limitations when it comes to OC, but from what I've read, if I don't push it too high, I don't have to change voltage settings, let it all to Auto, right?

I wonder if this has anything to do with some needed tweak to CPU Power Management, I know that there are some kexts that deals with this area, but from what I read in the description, that's for preventing Kernel Panic and not so much for OC. I saw an user installing the SandyBridge Core i5/ i7 Overclocked kext and he had the same IvyBridge processor as mine, does it do any good?

I hope someone can help me solve this Turbo Boost issue and help me with some directions to this light OC.

Thanks!

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 412 PWM and I intend to do a light overclocking. My idea is to just set higher multipliers for the Turbo Boost, from what I've read something between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz seems very stable under this set up of the GA-Z77-DS3H + 3570K.

Now I'm stuck because my Turbo Boost is not working properly. If I set EIST to Auto or Enabled, it won't go past 3.4GHz, if I disable it, it will throttle from 1.6GHz directly to 3.8GHz, so even if I try to set a higher multiplier, it won't work as I want.

I want it to go from 1.6GHz > 3.4GHz > 3.8GHz. Once the Turbo Boost is working, I intend to set a higher multiplier for Turbo Boost nad I hope it all works. The default setting for Turbo Boost multipliers are 38x, 38x, 37x and 36x for each core so is it better, for instance, if I set it to 44x, 44x, 43x and 42x or I can set all 4 cores to 44x?

As I'm understanding, this MoBo has some limitations when it comes to OC, but from what I've read, if I don't push it too high, I don't have to change voltage settings, let it all to Auto, right?

I wonder if this has anything to do with some needed tweak to CPU Power Management, I know that there are some kexts that deals with this area, but from what I read in the description, that's for preventing Kernel Panic and not so much for OC. I saw an user installing the SandyBridge Core i5/ i7 Overclocked kext and he had the same IvyBridge processor as mine, does it do any good?

I hope someone can help me solve this Turbo Boost issue and help me with some directions to this light OC.

Thanks!
You will not get all those multipliers without having to change how OSX throttles the cpu. The way I overclocked that same motherboard was set each turboboost core to 4.2ghz and you should be fine. You will get x16,x17,18,x19,x20, and x42 multipliers with a mac pro 3,1. Leave all voltage settings on Auto, since none of them you can change matter.

You will not get all those multipliers without having to change how OSX throttles the cpu. The way I overclocked that same motherboard was set each turboboost core to 4.2ghz and you should be fine. You will get x16,x17,18,x19,x20, and x42 multipliers with a mac pro 3,1. Leave all voltage settings on Auto, since none of them you can change matter.

But how should I change how the OS X throttles the CPU?

You mean that there is no way that it will stop at 3.4Ghz before going to Turbo Boost?

Does it make a difference if it's Mac Pro 3,1 or not? I've been using iMac 13,1.

But how should I change how the OS X throttles the CPU?

You mean that there is no way that it will stop at 3.4Ghz before going to Turbo Boost?

Does it make a difference if it's Mac Pro 3,1 or not? I've been using iMac 13,1.
Yeah, changing your system definition will add new multipliers, but usually brings a bunch of problems. It does not matter that it goes to turbo boost, this is a desktop not a laptop and the tiny bit of extra power needed will not mean anything. If you really are set on getting more sppedsteps then your going to have to screw around generating SSDT's for your cpu. Not worth it in my book.

Yeah, changing your system definition will add new multipliers, but usually brings a bunch of problems. It does not matter that it goes to turbo boost, this is a desktop not a laptop and the tiny bit of extra power needed will not mean anything. If you really are set on getting more sppedsteps then your going to have to screw around generating SSDT's for your cpu. Not worth it in my book.

I already tried the Mac Pro 3,1 and it added the other multipliers you mentioned, at 4.2GHz it seems pretty stable, I ran short CPU stress tests and everything went fine. When I tried to fool around a little bit and get higher frequencies, it started to bahave badly and when I tried to go to the BIOS to set everything as it was, even the BIOS was freezing so I'll let it be at 4.2GHz.

Yeah, I don't intend to play with KEXTs because it will probably get messy, even more with new updates to Mac OS X and the less headache, the better.

I know that it wouldn't be a problem for a Desktop, I just wanted it to work that way, but it doesn't seem to worth it, so I'll keep ip this way. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back