Contribute
Register

LGA1155 Motherboard failed. What do I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
Intel i7 2600k
Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys. Let me start by stating the issue first.
So my beloved Bella (yes I named her) even though she seems to boot, I get "no signal" on her monitors.
This is something that would happen once every blue moon, I'd wait for 10 minutes and then everything was ok.
In the past few days though this happens all the time. Occasionally it runs normally but it's really rare.
I took it to a store, they tried everything and told me the problem seems to be the motherboard.
note: it's a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 . They didn't have any LGA1155 socket mobos there though to test if it works with a different one.
I also called about 15 stores in my city. NOBODY has 1155 mobos and it will take them forever to bring one.
bottom line: the problem seems to be the motherboard but we can't be 100% sure.

Now the problem is that finding a 1155 mobo is really hard (I don't want to upgrade to a more modern mobo because I have an i7 2600k. It will be really costly to upgrade).

I'll probably buy one from the internet and install it and hope that the problem is trully the mobo.

I found some affordable options that I think will work with my build.

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-...123426?hash=item3f6e849962:g:KxwAAOSwcUBYG6v0

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE-...445373?hash=item41b705327d:g:WYIAAOSwB09YG7A7

3) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE-...366210?hash=item3d2649a742:g:GlIAAOSwCGVX4f3b

My build:
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (seems like it's failing)
Intel i7 2600k
Corsair 750HX power supply
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 SDRAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB GPU

So basically:
1) What would you advice me to do as a solution?
2) If buying a new mobo is your suggestion,which option of the ones I found is best? Or do you have any other recommendations ?

Any help would be appreciated.
thank you guys

Have you eliminated the graphics card could be the problem?

Yes. I tried the onboard graphics. They also tried a different gpu at the store.
RAM tested as well as the PSU. Basically we tried everything besides working it with a different mobo...

anyone ??? :beachball::(
will these motherboards work with my build ?

anyone ??? :beachball::(
will these motherboards work with my build ?
i hope someone helps you soon. The info would be of great benefit to me as well. I have the same mobo and processor but just upgraded my GPU.

Im trying to absorb all i can first in case i also need to change mobo in the future.

Did you try another CPU? Did you check the PSU voltages with a PSU tester? Does the CPU fan "twitch" when you depress the power-on button?

If you disconnect the keyboard, mouse, disk drives, all fans but the one going to the CPU, all power connectors to the peripherals, disconnect any USB header cables to the mobo, remove any PCI/PCI-E boards, does it boot into the BIOS splash screen after you have re-connected the AC power cord?

Just inserting the AC power cord should allow the +5V motherboard LED to light up. The CPU uses +12V (as does a corded mouse - and a shorted mouse will crow bar the +12V rail and thereby not allow the CPU to power up), memory uses +3.3V, but if you have a bad RAM you should hear error beeps almost immediately.

My guess is that it's a bad CPU. What is the cheapest CPU you can find that works in your mobo? Call around the PC shops in your area and see if one has an LGA1155 CPU available for testing because an Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G640 2.8GHz 5.0GT/s 3MB LGA1155 CPU will cost over $50 U.S. Obviously the shoppe may not be keen on installing their CPU into your mobo, but you may be able to convince them to install your CPU into their Mobo.

Last edited:
Long story short the problem was with the PSU.
When I took it to a technician he told me he tried a different PSU and didn't work. I guess he lied to me? who knows.

Oh well Bella is up and running again :)

thanks guys

It may have been a bad PSU that he tried, or it was under powered, or the connections weren't tight. At the very least, if the PSU has the ATX connectors he could have put a PSU tester on it.

Glad it's all fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back