Contribute
Register

LG Ultrafine 5k setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
Graphics
1080ti FTW3
Mac
  1. iMac
So, Ive come across a LG 5k for quite a good price. Im going to buy it, and while I have no guarantees what I have in mind will work, Im going to try, unless someone here sees some/any obvious hiccup that I've overlooked. Ive already ordered the relevant cables and the GB Alpine Ridge TH3 PCIE card.

I have a:

GA Designaire Z170 (has thunderbolt pass through from GPU)
Have a MSI 760 with 2X mDP (note this output with max res at 4k@60 hz)
Soon to be Evga 1080ti for W10 Gaming.
GA Alpine Ridge TB3 PCIE.

Im envisioning that my 760 will be used on the Mac side of things, using the TWO mDP to the GA ALPINE RIDGE card (which accepts 2x mDP) and from that card, send it to the 5k monitor for 5k output (2x 1440p per cable to the GA Alpine ridge)

I will envision my soon to be 1080ti goes to the built in motherboard re-routing to the thunderbolt 3 using the one cable (and 1080ti is capable of sending it out with one cable) to W10 gaming. I suspect this will be in 5k?

Only downside is the switching of thunderbolt 3 cables from the back of the monitor when I switch between gaming and macOS for work. Maybe in the future, I can use a thunderbolt 3 dock to just plug/unplug from that instead of the back of the monitor, or if a device exists, a switcher of some sort.

Anyone see any shortcoming with my proposal and expectations?

Cheers.

Thunderbolt 3 doesn't support DisplayPort 1.3, so unless your mainboard is able to split a single DP 1.3 stream into two DP 1.2 streams (which I highly doubt), you'll be limited to 4K resolution.

The rest of your setup should work as described, at least in Windows. I guess your (rare) dual DP GTX 760 is a good choice, since dual DP 5K seems to be broken on Maxwell GPUs.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Interesting, I guess worst case scenario I game in W10 in 4k, but most of the time I'm in macOS for work anyway so hopefully that goes to 5k. If the thing docent work at all, Ill just pass the monitor on.

Ive currently got 2x Apple Cinema Displays so going to a 5k (assuming it works), won't necessarily be the best option anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back