Contribute
Register

LG Ultrafine 5K Display For Mac OS and Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I have been considering building my first Hackintosh and would really like to incorporate the LG Ultrafine 5K display on both Mac OS and Windows. I am super new at this stuff and am still learning, but everything I seem to find on the web states how it is impossible to make the 5K display work. Are there any guides you can link below to make my life easier?

My goal is to build a Hackintosh with separate hard drives for a Mac OS boot and Windows boot. If possible, I would like both Mac OS and Windows to take advantage of the full 5K resolution. Is this possible at all?

If so, I know I need to get a thunderbolt 3 compatible motherboard. Once I have that, do I get a thunderbolt 3 PCIe card and connect the monitor directly to the PCIe card, or do I need some type of GPU with thunderbolt 3 connectivity to connect the video out to the GPU itself (not sure if that's even a thing)? Also, which GPUs would have enough juice to run the 5K monitor?

Will both Mac OS and Windows be able to the reach 5K resolution?

Thank you in advance!

Me too. Made any progress on this?

This youtuber seems to think so:

Around 08:20 into the video he mentions how you can change his choice of motherboard to a Asus Prime Z370-A II for the LG UltraFine 5K Display to work. I'm basing my first build on this, but would be nice to get a definitive answer from someone who tried it.

I saw that video, hence why I posted originally. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Last edited:
I don't understand his suggestion for the Asus board for 5K. The Gigabyte motherboard he used has a Thunderbolt 3 header on it that is compatible with the Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card. The Asus Thunderbolt 3 card appears to be the older Alpine Ridge. If the Titan Ridge card can be used with iOS, then that's the card you'll want. You see it requires the card placed in the last slot (PCIe x4) and the board has the newest F11 or later bios. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-10#kf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back