Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Hi, glad it works. But it works in 4k, be aware of it. Also, it works because luckily you got the Titan Ridge Ultrafine.
incomplete,

LG UltraFine Display Audio
LG UltraFine Display Audio Camera

Not available?

incomplete,

LG UltraFine Display Audio
LG UltraFine Display Audio Camera

Not available?
No, I don't think so because I used the GPU port instead. I have two ports free though on my Titan Ridge now one for audio interface and one free for hard drives etc. WORTH IT!

No, I don't think so because I used the GPU port instead. I have two ports free though on my Titan Ridge now one for audio interface and one free for hard drives etc. WORTH IT!
My motherboard does not support Titan Ridge, I specifically chose a motherboard with Thunderbolt+2dpin.

The disadvantage is to start the black apple, and sometimes the screen will be black after -v, and you have to unplug one the dp and reinsert it.

After updating from Big Sur to Monterey 12.1 sleep/wake started to work incorrectly. Internal USB devices of LG UltraFine disappear and replugging doesn't help.

View attachment 539083

The only way to get everything work is reboot, but then I have to unplug one DP cable to get boot screen. Otherwise it won't boot at all, producing VGA Error beep. So sleep was very convenient feature to me :(
but then I have to unplug one DP cable to get boot screen.

Have you solved this problem. The ASUS PROART Z490 I use also has this problem. System Monterey 12.6.1

Hi, glad it works. But it works in 4k, be aware of it. Also, it works because luckily you got the Titan Ridge Ultrafine.

I dont think so, look at my system. Its running in 5K
@giftmusic

Not to dampen the spirit, but I have to point out the following:
  • If your UltraFine has a 2021 build date, it most likely has a Titan Ridge peripheral controller that supports USB-C Alt Mode
  • This allows DisplayPort signals to be processed over a DP-to-USB C cable
  • The on-board devices of the monitor (camera and USB downstream ports) will not connect
  • Video from the Mac will be output at 4K and it will be upscaled by the monitor to 5K
  • For true 5K we need to connect two DP outs from GPU to two DP ins on Thunderbolt card, then a single Thunderbolt cable from the card to the monitor
  • To determine whether the Mac is really sending 4K or 5K video, we run the command agdcdiagnose with the -c option if I recall correctly. Simply search this site for this keyword and you’ll find a lot of very detailed information, particularly from @joevt. The pixel clock value relates to the output resolution.

Last edited:
For all the reasons — and problems — described throughout this thread, you can see why I advise users to stay away from Thunderbolt monitors on a Hackintosh.

For all the reasons — and problems — described throughout this thread, you can see why I advise users to stay away from Thunderbolt monitors on a Hackintosh.
Can I use the Typec interface above 6900XT to directly link LG UltraFine 5k?

Can I use the Typec interface above 6900XT to directly link LG UltraFine 5k?
If your UltraFine has a Titan Ridge controller then yes you may connect a USB-C cable between the GPU and monitor (if GPU has Type C port).

I dont think so, look at my system. Its running in 5K

This utility doesn't display real resolution.
When I've connected my LG 5K with only one DisplayPort cable connected to onboard Thunderbolt controller, it worked in 4K mode but this utility was reported 5K resolution. (BTW, in 4K resolution monitor correctly powers on with POST without any problems.)

UltraFine with Titan Ridge inside supports only 4K via USB-C. Period. That's the only thing you have to know about it.

Yes, macOS can upscale it to 5K, but you definitely should see by your eyes without any fancy tools. If you don't, why did you bought 5K?

Back