Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Can you please take picts of how your setup is? Also whats the exact cable you are using? Thank you so much, I will be so happy to get this monitor to work!
There are other options, including use of a HDMI or DP ghost plug. Simply search this site for “ghost plug”.

Another option requires flashing the GC-Titan Ridge firmware to NVM33. @nottooshabby posted a very good summary below. He also states that it’s not necessary to connect two PSU power cables unless you need to power high-wattage devices through the Thunderbolt ports.

There are other options, including use of a HDMI or DP ghost plug. Simply search this site for “ghost plug”.

Another option requires flashing the GC-Titan Ridge firmware to NVM33. @nottooshabby posted a very good summary below. He also states that it’s not necessary to connect two PSU power cables unless you need to power high-wattage devices through the Thunderbolt ports.
I've flashed Titan Ridge with NVM33. However, this doesn't helped at all with replugging problem.

I have _working_ LG 5k monitor configuration, without connecting any headers/pins/USB at all (and without flashing card with apple-compatible firmware). Just connected two 6-pin power cables from PSU.
Model number of your 5k? Year of purchase?
I guess we don't have the same meaning of working. For me, working means that the monitor powers on at each and every (re)boot without any cables to be connected nor PCIE riser to be used. Also:

Connect only two 6-pin power cables from your PSU, and connect _two_ displayport cables to your GPU. After booting of mac os unplug and then replug again your thunderbolt connection. Monitor will power on. You will need to do this after each reboot. I've found a solution to avoid replugging - described it in this thread early.
As CaseySJ mentioned, it is NOT necessary to connect those cables as they need only for hi power output through Type-C connections.
Also, when connection TB header+USB 2.0 cables, monitor powers on just fine after each reboot; there is no need to replug anything.

Last edited:
Please check above, I edited my original post

27MD5KL
april 2020

That's a Titan Ridge; on Alpine Ridge, it does not work without USB 2.0 header connected. Yours would work even with a simple Type-C connection.

Model number of your 5k? Year of purchase?
I guess we don't have the same meaning of working. For me, working means that the monitor powers on at each and every (re)boot without any cables to be connected nor PCIE riser to be used. Also:
as CaseySJ mentioned, it is NOT necessary to connect those cables as they need only for hi power output through Type-C connections.
Also, when connection TB header+USB 2.0 cables, monitor powers on just fine after each reboot; there is no need to replug anything.

My monitor powers on with computer, and I see POST messages on screen.
This not works for me without power cables connected (as I can remember).
TB header+USB 2.0 cables doesn't make my monitor wake up after powering on my computer.
Flashing NVM33 also doesn't solves problem. However, after flashing I correctly see monitor and webcam into thunderbolt devices.

TB header+USB 2.0 cables doesn't make my monitor wake up after powering on my computer
What do you mean by TB header? Did you try to bridge pin 3 & 5?

What do you mean by TB header? Did you try to bridge pin 3 & 5?

Yes, no effect.
Currently my Titan Ridge connected to M.2 port, to 2x 6-pin PSU cables and to 2x DP cables. Works like a charm.

Yes, no effect.
Currently my Titan Ridge connected to M.2 port, to 2x 6-pin PSU cables and to 2x DP cables. Works like a charm.
Please send a link to the exact cable you are using. I think that might be why you have luck. Thank you!

Back