Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

See the right res here:

View attachment 531646

If it shows scale resolution base as 3840x2160, that means you don't get 5K actually.

i've installed gigabyte titan ridge card, connected it to GPU with two displayport cables
and tried to plug lg 5k into it
i still see scale resolution as 3840x2160...

i've installed gigabyte titan ridge card, connected it to GPU with two displayport cables
and tried to plug lg 5k into it
i still see scale resolution as 3840x2160...
What GPU you use? Try to set agdpmod=pikera boot flag

What GPU you use? Try to set agdpmod=pikera boot flag
Radeon PRO WX7100
pikera flag helped - now i see 5120 x 2880
but there are one drawback compared to using motherboard's built-in thunderbolt controller - LG monitor didn't turn on on cold boot - i need to replug connector in order to turn it on.
with built-in controller it turns on automatically...

PS: now my second 5k monitor shows 3840x2160 in scaled resolutions base :(

Last edited:
Radeon PRO WX7100
pikera flag helped - now i see 5120 x 2880
but there are one drawback compared to using motherboard's built-in thunderbolt controller - LG monitor didn't turn on on cold boot - i need to replug connector in order to turn it on.
with built-in controller it turns on automatically...
It's not related to TB controller itself. Your integrated controller doesn't have second DP input, that's why you see boot screen. You can unplug the second dp from titan ridge before boot and then you'll see boot screen, same as with integrated controller. After login you can connect the second DP again and get full 5K res. I do the same every time I boot my computer

It's not related to TB controller itself. Your integrated controller doesn't have second DP input, that's why you see boot screen. You can unplug the second dp from titan ridge before boot and then you'll see boot screen, same as with integrated controller. After login you can connect the second DP again and get full 5K res. I do the same every time I boot my computer
you are right
it's strange why my videocard didn't fully support even two 5K monitors
i can only connect one 5k monitor and second monitor will use 4k resolution (i've tried to connect third 4k monitor - but it even not detected).

you are right
it's strange why my videocard didn't fully support even two 5K monitors
i can only connect one 5k monitor and second monitor will use 4k resolution (i've tried to connect third 4k monitor - but it even not detected).
Again, it's not related to videocard or tb controller.

It's an implementation of LG 5K. It uses DP 1.2 spec, where max res. is 4K@60 Hz, so to get 5K it uses two DP 1.2 connections simultaneously. That's why you need two DP inputs on your TB controller.

Your other monitor work with DP 1.4 spec, where a single stream can deliver full 5K picture @ 60 Hz using a single connection.

Seems that I've found a way to use LG 5K without replugging Thunderbolt cable after each reboot.
I've used this riser in order to connect Gigabyte Titan Ridge to motherboard's M.2 port:

Now the monitor works fine without replugging - even BIOS interface.
Motherboard is Gigabyte Z590 Vision D.

Last edited:
After updating from Big Sur to Monterey 12.1 sleep/wake started to work incorrectly. Internal USB devices of LG UltraFine disappear and replugging doesn't help.

Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 17.44.47.png

The only way to get everything work is reboot, but then I have to unplug one DP cable to get boot screen. Otherwise it won't boot at all, producing VGA Error beep. So sleep was very convenient feature to me :(

After updating from Big Sur to Monterey 12.1 sleep/wake started to work incorrectly. Internal USB devices of LG UltraFine disappear and replugging doesn't help.

[..]

The only way to get everything work is reboot, but then I have to unplug one DP cable to get boot screen. Otherwise it won't boot at all, producing VGA Error beep. So sleep was very convenient feature to me :(
Bummer. Do you have the Alpine Ridge 5k or the Titan Ridge 5k?

Bummer. Do you have the Alpine Ridge 5k or the Titan Ridge 5k?
Yeah :(
Mine is 27MD5KL-B, so I suppose it's Titan Ridge.

Maybe I'll try to install Big Sur to another drive to check how it works.

Back