Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Got RX580 to test 5K resolution, but no luck.

I've removed nvidia nvidia card and put RX580 to the top PCI-E slot and now cannot boot macOS. OpenCore shows an error right after the boot volume is selected:

[EB|`B:WFDW] Err(0xE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49

That's a common error, needs to be investigated first. It could be related to graphics card, but I don't understand the problem here especially when you have the only card. At the same time it works with two cards :banghead:.

Also I've seen ACPI table errors, so maybe I don't get 5K because of these errors. I'll try to fix them first. Then maybe flash back to original FW.

Walls of text ahead =))

I've got 5K res finally and all internal devices working both in Catalina and Windows. The best setup for UltraFine 5K (B-version) is the following:

- ASUS Z490-E Strix
- GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 with original firmware and bridged pins (does not matter)
- RX580 with two display ports connected to GC-TITAN RIDGE
- "adgpmod=pikera slide=1" boot args
- SSDT-DTPG.aml + SSDT for ASUS 3-TR (yes, for ASUS, not GC) from this post.

No need to activate (i. e. flashing custom firmware) TB Bus.

You can have a black screen until it boots to Catalina, so I use iGPU and a TV connected to it to see boot screens. The problem has to be investigated further and I will post an update about it.

The results for ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR will be posted later.

Last edited:
I've got 5K res finally and all internal devices working both in Catalina and Windows. The best setup for UltraFine 5K (B-version) is the following:

- ASUS Z490-E Strix
- GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 with original firmware and bridged pins
- RX580 with two display ports connected to GC-TITAN RIDGE
- "adgpmod=pikera slide=1" boot args
- SSDT-DTPG.aml + SSDT for ASUS 3-TR (yes, for ASUS, not GC) from this post.

No need to activate (i. e. flashing custom firmware) TB Bus.

You can have a black screen until it boots to Catalina, so I use iGPU and a TV connected to it to see boot screens. The problem have to be investigated further and I will post an update about it.

The results for ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR will be posted later.
Glad you got it working I knew it was possible.

Reactions: etc
I'm using Asus X299 motherboard + Gigabyte Titan Ridge and have a problem with cold boot monitor turning on. (I need to re-plug Thunderbolt connector each time system boots in order to turn on monitor.) I've tried Gigabyte Titan Ridge 1.0 and 2.0 - but results are the same .(I've flashed them with Apple-compatible firmware but this have not helped.)

Today I've tried Asus ThunderboltEX 3 (old card without 5K support) - and it worked fine - monitor turned on without replugging (but do not buy old ThunderboltEX 3 - it doesn't support 5K resolution). Seems that ASUS BIOS not fully compatible with Gigabyte's Thunderbolt cards - it does some things during initialization that makes my LG 5K hang/freeze.

Using ch341a programmer

I've found only one Winbond chip on 3-TR PCB. I've connected my ch341a programmer (which I've successfully used to program Gigabyte's Titan Ridge card), but it didn't see this chip. :(

I've found only one Winbond chip on 3-TR PCB. I've connected my ch341a programmer (which I've successfully used to program Gigabyte's Titan Ridge card), but it didn't see this chip.
:(
I have both Titan Ridge and 3-TR. and the programmer reads them both. But, at first I modified it to use 3.3v intead of 5. Check the wiring and connections, also check that your programmer works at 3.3v.

I have both Titan Ridge and 3-TR and the programmer reads them both, but at first I modified it to use 3.3v intead of 5. Check the wiring and connections, also check that your programmer works at 3.3v.
My programmer works at 3.3v.
But at Gigabyte's PCB, I see two Winbond chips.
On Asus only one which is strange.

Your 3-tr have two Winbond chips as in Gigabyte's Titan Ridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back