Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

You will not see the Thunderbolt area populated in MacOS unless you flash the card to enable the TB bus. That does not mean it will not work or that HotPlug is not working. Try starting reading around page 19 I did some skimming and that is around when it seems like people started to get stuff to work a bit.
Yeah, I understand that flashing enables the TB bus.

I meant that in my case I got "No hardware was found" and in the Thunderbolt area and I didn't see internal devices when pins on the Titan Ridge were connected to wake it up. When they are not connected I get "No drivers are loaded" as it supposed to be without flashing and I see all internal devices.

I want to understand if enabling TB bus helps to get full 5K resolution or not. If so, I'd investigate further and buy a programmer for it.

Yeah, I understand that flashing enables the TB bus.

I meant that in my case I got "No hardware was found" and in the Thunderbolt area and I didn't see internal devices when pins on the Titan Ridge were connected to wake it up. When they are not connected I get "No drivers are loaded" as it supposed to be without flashing and I see all internal devices.

I want to understand if enabling TB bus helps to get full 5K resolution or not. If so, I'd investigate further and buy a programmer for it.

The only place the TB will show up is under PCI devices and will say driver loaded yes or no. Under the Thunderbolt heading, you will see nothing even with devices connected. If you mod the bios of the card it will show up in the Thunderbolt and in PCI. I can not tell you for sure if it will give you 5k or not, you do not need to buy a programmer if you have a Raspberry Pi you can use it with a soci 8 clip and some jumper wires.

The only place the TB will show up is under PCI devices and will say driver loaded yes or no. Under the Thunderbolt heading, you will see nothing even with devices connected. If you mod the bios of the card it will show up in the Thunderbolt and in PCI. I can not tell you for sure if it will give you 5k or not, you do not need to buy a programmer if you have a Raspberry Pi you can use it with a soci 8 clip and some jumper wires.
Unfortunately I don't have Raspberry. But I have Arduino DUE and soc 8 clip. And programmers: XPROG 5.55, R270, ULINK 2 and J-LINK. I am not sure that they support TB BIOS chip =/

I only followed directions so I can not say for sure, Look here:

Maybe while reading this guide you will realize what you have is ok.

Please keep in mind I have no clue if you will get 5k after modding the card only you should have TB Bus after modification.

Reactions: etc
Well, my first experience with modified firmware was unsuccessful. I couldn't get TITAN RIDGE to work with modified firmware, it just didn't work. I've checked everything again and have chosen the right firmware too.

Well, my first experience with modified firmware was unsuccessful. I couldn't get TITAN RIDGE to work with modified firmware, it just didn't work. I've checked everything again and have chosen the right firmware too.
Right is a matter of opinion I use the Designare Firmware NVM33 but I use the Titan Ridge SSDT. Also, I use the 3/5 jumper to force power on the card.

The Titan card is kind of finicky in that it likes to be in the bottom 16x slot that runs at 4x normally. But I have no idea how it will behave on an Asus board. However, I have an Alpine ridge that is running on a Gigabyte board that does not support Thunderbolt.

Does it even show up in the IO registry?

Right is a matter of opinion I use the Designare Firmware NVM33 but I use the Titan Ridge SSDT. Also, I use the 3/5 jumper to force power on the card.

The Titan card is kind of finicky in that it likes to be in the bottom 16x slot that runs at 4x normally. But I have no idea how it will behave on an Asus board. However, I have an Alpine ridge that is running on a Gigabyte board that does not support Thunderbolt.

Does it even show up in the IO registry?
Setup:
GC-TITAN RIDGE v2.0 (NVM50)
ASUS Z490-E MB

Modified firmware: GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin

SSDT is disabled temporary for the test, but:

- Thunderbolt: No hardware was found. (Instead of "No drivers are loaded" when GC on original FW)
- No PCI cards (also checked in Hackintool)
- No TB in IO registry
- 3-5 pin didn't help, no difference.

It revives when I flash an original firmware.

What else I noticed: after flashing back original firmware I updated TB drivers in Windows 10. And then read that original firmware again. It has changed! But only one byte:

(updated one is on the left) Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 16.52.46.png

Not sure that it's related to CH341a flasher I use, maybe it's just normal.

Setup:
GC-TITAN RIDGE v2.0 (NVM50)
ASUS Z490-E MB

Modified firmware: GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin

SSDT is disabled temporary for the test, but:

- Thunderbolt: No hardware was found. (Instead of "No drivers are loaded" when GC on original FW)
- No PCI cards (also checked in Hackintool)
- No TB in IO registry
- 3-5 pin didn't help, no difference.

It revives when I flash an original firmware.

What else I noticed: after flashing back original firmware I updated TB drivers in Windows 10. And then read that original firmware again. It has changed! But only one byte:

(updated one is on the left)View attachment 509659

Not sure that it's related to CH341a flasher I use, maybe it's just normal.
I did not like NVM50 that was the first modified firmware. The V2.0 just comes from the factory with NVM50 it is not really a different card as far as I know.

As I said I have no idea how GC Titan Ridge is going to react with an Asus board, so all your work can be for not.

I do not know why it has a changed byte or if it has to do with the CH341a flasher.

Once again did it show up in the IO registry? Does it ever show up in the IO registry? Honestly, I am not sure if your going to make this work or not. I have told you everything I know and offered only my experience. I didn't create or contribute to the creation of this only offered myself up as a genie pig.

You might want to talk to Casey about this however, I think they have stopped helping with TB displays.

Reactions: etc
TB3 Bus was activated on ThunderboltEX 3-TR, thanks to @CaseySJ

Anyone interested can read details here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...derbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/page-511

Currently I don't have RX580, so when I get it, I'll post update about 5K res with the bus activated.
The modified firmware for Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR (Titan Ridge) has been added to the Repository located here:

Back