Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

what is full model number of your monitor ? and what motherboard chipset you have?
You can see my motherboard below my avatar. Where do I look up the full model number?

You can see my motherboard below my avatar. Where do I look up the full model number?

it specified on monitor's package box
or (i think) it placed under vesa mounting plate at back (you need to unscrew this plate)

For those who cannot get the webcam and mic/audio to work.

I got it to work by unplugging and pluging in the thunderbolt display cord when doing cold startup.

It was discussed previously.

Now the question is: Can you have two 5K monitors hook up to the Vision D motherboard.

Do I need to get two thunderbolt card? Is there even enough space for that?

Just got my new UltraFine 5K (27MD5KL-B) and I would say it just works, on cold boot, warm boot, camera, USB, microphone, just everything in Windows and macOS too. I remember my problems with old Apple Thunderbolt Display, but LG works flawlessly.

My current setup:
Z490-E Strix
ThunderboltEX 3-TR AIC card (original firmware)
LG UltraFine 5K 27MD5KL-B
RTX 2080 Ti FE for Windows 10
GTX 690 for Catalina

For Windows I connected two DisplayPort cables and got full 5K resolution out of the box. I tried single cable and it expectably dropped to 4K max.

For Catalina I use an old GTX 690 video card and it has only one mini DisplayPort, so I didn't get 5K and I'm not sure that it's 4K too. Something between 4K and 5K as someone said here. It's not looking sharp and crisp as it should be, but at least I can work with it.

It's really hard to find a Radeon card for Catalina nowadays, but I'm looking around for a used one for acceptable price. Don't want to pay for RX 580 (after mining of course) or similiar two-three times more than it costs.

Just got RX 580 for testing. No 5K (4K or something like that) resolution under Catalina. Camera, mic, USB, etc., work well. Under Windows 10 (build 2004) all is fine, including resolution.

So it seems I need to flash Thunderbolt controller to work in Catalina? Or it just impossible to get full 5K with LG UltraFine under macOS?

I have GC Titan Ridge card, but it's not compatible with ASUS motherboard. It actually works on it, but no onboard monitor devices recognized. I even tried to short pin 1 and pin 3 in the header connector, but it didn't help.

Last edited:
Just got RX 580 for testing. No 5K (4K or something like that) resolution under Catalina. Camera, mic, USB, etc., work well. Under Windows 10 (build 2004) all is fine, including resolution.

So it seems I need to flash Thunderbolt controller to work in Catalina? Or it just impossible to get full 5K with LG UltraFine under macOS?

I have GC Titan Ridge card, but it's not compatible with ASUS motherboard. It actually works on it, but no onboard monitor devices recognized. I even tried to short pin 1 and pin 3 in the header connector, but it didn't help.

It is possible to get 5K with LG Ultrafine under macOS or at least it was. People were doing it with an SSDT before modifying the TB3 controller firmware was a thing. Though I can not say if anyone has 5K on GC Titan using an Asus motherboard.

If you use a mod'ed firmware on your card, it may not function correctly or at all in Windows.

You do not short Pin 1-3 you short pin 3-5. Pin 5 is the one farthest from the PCI-E blade. Basically, this just forces the card to power on.

It is possible to get 5K with LG Ultrafine under macOS or at least it was. People were doing it with an SSDT before modifying the TB3 controller firmware was a thing. Though I can not say if anyone has 5K on GC Titan using an Asus motherboard.

If you use a mod'ed firmware on your card, it may not function correctly or at all in Windows.

You do not short Pin 1-3 you short pin 3-5. Pin 5 is the one farthest from the PCI-E blade. Basically, this just forces the card to power on.
Thanks for the reply! I just forgot to make things clear: I have two TB3 cards: ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR and GC-Titan Ridge v2.0. The first one is compatible with my ASUS motherboard and everything works with it except 5K in macOS. There is no modified firmware for it, so I would try to use SSDT.

With Titan Ridge card I need to re-plug a monitor to make internal devices working under Windows. Under macOS re-plugging does not work. You are right about pins 3-5, I just don't know the right number of it, but I connected them correctly no doubts. I don't think that I get any success with that card though.

Thanks for the reply! I just forgot to make things clear: I have two TB3 cards: ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR and GC-Titan Ridge v2.0. The first one is compatible with my ASUS motherboard and everything works with it except 5K in macOS. There is no modified firmware for it, so I would try to use SSDT.

With Titan Ridge card I need to re-plug a monitor to make internal devices working under Windows. Under macOS re-plugging does not work. You are right about pins 3-5, I just don't know the right number of it, but I connected them correctly no doubts. I don't think that I get any success with that card, though.
Try making a post here:

Maybe they can help you since they are working with a EX card.

Reactions: etc
Well, I tried to use GC Titan Ridge with HackinDROM SSDT. With pins connected macOS didn't see Titan Ridge at all ("No hardware was found" in System Information). Without connected pins and thanks to SSDT (though ThunderboltEX 3-TR works without SSDT) it started to recognise internal devices. But still no real 5K =(

Seems the last thing I can try is flashing Titan Ridge with a modified firmware. BTW I could not find any successful posts. Maybe I just need to read all 68 pages in this thread first :mrgreen:

Well, I tried to use GC Titan Ridge with HackinDROM SSDT. With pins connected macOS didn't see Titan Ridge at all ("No hardware was found" in System Information). Without connected pins and thanks to SSDT (though ThunderboltEX 3-TR works without SSDT) it started to recognise internal devices. But still no real 5K =(

Seems the last thing I can try is flashing Titan Ridge with a modified firmware. BTW I could not find any successful posts. Maybe I just need to read all 68 pages in this thread first :mrgreen:
You will not see the Thunderbolt area populated in MacOS unless you flash the card to enable the TB bus. That does not mean it will not work or that HotPlug is not working. Try starting reading around page 19 I did some skimming and that is around when it seems like people started to get stuff to work a bit.

Back