Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Nice, that's the same one I have.
Could you tell me whether you can see the BIOS post with you 5k?
Hmm, good question. When I start it I only see the Gigabyte Boot Screen followed by the one with options to go into boot menu, bios etc. No BIOS Post before that Gigabyte Boot Screen.

Hmm, good question. When I start it I only see the Gigabyte Boot Screen followed by the one with options to go into boot menu, bios etc. No BIOS Post before that Gigabyte Boot Screen.
Which is fine, as you can enter Gigabyte's boot menu to change settings and such. I was afraid that the old 5k (and Thunderbolt displays in general) would turn on only once macOS had been loaded.

Which is fine, as you can enter Gigabyte's boot menu to change settings and such. I was afraid that the old 5k (and Thunderbolt displays in general) would turn on only once macOS had been loaded.
From what I read about the old Thunderbolt displays is they only show stuff after warm boot. So for example you want to get into the BIOS you need to boot once and then reboot. You can probably do this without actually booting into macOS.

From what I read about the old Thunderbolt displays is they only show stuff after warm boot. So for example you want to get into the BIOS you need to boot once and then reboot. You can probably do this without actually booting into macOS.
I don't have this issue actually. For me the monitor switches on immediately on cold boot.

But it sometimes happens that I can not boot into macOS (an error message appears after selecting the macOS disk in the OpenCore Boot Menu) from cold boot which requires me to reboot the system.

I don't have this issue actually. For me the monitor switches on immediately on cold boot.

But it sometimes happens that I can not boot into macOS (an error message appears after selecting the macOS disk in the OpenCore Boot Menu) from cold boot which requires me to reboot the system.
You have an old Mac Thunderbolt Display that works from Cold boot?

Yes, I have the first generation (27MD5KA), but I bought it second hand, so it might have been refurbished or such.

I've tried 27MD5KA and 27MD5KL (this is the latest revision) - and both works only from warm boot (with Titan Ridge card, currently I've waiting for Alpine Ridge to try).

Yes, I have the first generation (27MD5KA), but I bought it second hand, so it might have been refurbished or such.
Wonder if that is because you have a Vision D Motherboard. Did you flash put a modded firmware on your Vision D?
I've tried 27MD5KA and 27MD5KL (this is the latest revision) - and both works only from warm boot (with Titan Ridge card, currently i've waiting for Alpine Ridge to try).
This is what I have read about from most people that is why I was surprised by @Sthlm conformation that theirs works from cold boot.

I have the Titan Ridge card and the new 5k display. These are my observations:

With unmodified firmware:
* Display works in BIOS on cold and warm boot
* Attached Thunderbolt devices (including the integrated ones) only work on cold boot

With modified firmware (so that Thunderbolt bus is activated):
* Display is off until macOS is booted and stays functional through warm re-boots (so basically a deal breaker for a primary display)
* Thunderbolt devices work in macOS on both cold and warm boot

I have the Titan Ridge card and the new 5k display. These are my observations:

With unmodified firmware:
* Display works in BIOS on cold and warm boot
* Attached Thunderbolt devices (including the integrated ones) only work on cold boot

With modified firmware (so that Thunderbolt bus is activated):
* Display is off until macOS is booted and stays functional through warm re-boots (so basically a deal breaker for a primary display)
* Thunderbolt devices work in macOS on both cold and warm boot

what is full model number of your monitor ? and what motherboard chipset you have?

Back