Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

I might have misunderstood things, but would I be able to use the LG Ultrafine 5K directly using the TB3 port on the motherboard at only 4K? But this requires me to first run a DP cable from one of the Radeon VII DP out ports to the Motherboard's DP in port?
Yes, 4K from the Motherboard's Thunderbolt port using a DP connection from the Radeon to the DP In port.
You need two DP In ports to get 5K.

This is the specs for the TB3 ports on the MB:
Yes, 5K 24 bpp means a single HBR3 connection. 5K 30 bpp requires dual HBR2 connection (like the LG UltraFine 5K) or single HBR2 with DSC (like the XDR?).

If I want to scale the resolution up to 5K I would need to purchase the Gigabyte GC-TITAN RIDGE? Would the Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE work as well?
Yes, you need any Thunderbolt 3 add-in card that has two DisplayPort inputs to get 5K 60Hz 10bpc from the LG UltraFine 5K.

How is the functionality of the speakers, the webcam with mic and the additional type C ports on the monitor using the above-mentioned solutions?
It depends if you can get PCIe tunnelling over Thunderbolt to work. Read about Thunderbolt in the following threads:

Last edited:
Yes, 4K from the Motherboard's Thunderbolt port using a DP connection from the Radeon to the DP in port.
You need to DP in to get 5K.
I've tried this now, but unfortunately the monitor stays black.

I was able to turn it on one time, but it could only display in the Gigabyte Boot screen, in BIOS and in OpenCore Boot Menu, and only after I have done the following in BIOS:

Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Ports >
= "IGFX" (was earlier "PCIe 1 Slot", where I have my Radeon VII)
+
Settings > IO Ports > Internal Graphics = Enabled (was earlier "Disabled")

When I go into the boot menu and select my OSX boot drive to start OSX, the apple loading screen starts and halfway thru the monitor shuts off again.

Strangely though is that the OSX system recognize the speakers which are fully functional and the 1080p web camera as well as the microphone next to it. So I can use these, but the panel is completely off.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Gigabyte only write how I should plug the cables, which I have done and which apparently have been done correctly (otherwise I would never be able to see anything on the monitor?). But they don't write anywhere if I need to change anything i BIOS or do anything else to get it to work.

I have written to Gigabyte's support about this, but as people may know it takes about a week to get a reply, which doesn't make it very helpful.

I have ordered a GC-Titan Ridge AIC to get full 5K, but unfortunately I will have that card in 2 weeks from now, so finding a solution with the on-board Thunderbolt ports waiting for it, would be very pleasant.

I've tried this now, but unfortunately the monitor stays black.
You have connected DisplayPort output of Radeon to DisplayPort input of motherboard?

I was able to turn it on one time, but it could only display in the Gigabyte Boot screen, in BIOS and in OpenCore Boot Menu, and only after I have done the following in BIOS:

Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Ports >
= "IGFX" (was earlier "PCIe 1 Slot", where I have my Radeon VII)
+
Settings > IO Ports > Internal Graphics = Enabled (was earlier "Disabled")
For Hackintosh, it maybe better to disable iGPU.

When I go into the boot menu and select my OSX boot drive to start OSX, the apple loading screen starts and halfway thru the monitor shuts off again.

Strangely though is that the OSX system recognize the speakers which are fully functional and the 1080p web camera as well as the microphone next to it. So I can use these, but the panel is completely off.
The speakers of the display are connected to a USB audio device that is connected to a USB controller in the display that is connected to the computer's PCIe bus using Thunderbolt. USB is separate from DisplayPort in the USB-C or Thunderbolt connection.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Gigabyte only write how I should plug the cables, which I have done and which apparently have been done correctly (otherwise I would never be able to see anything on the monitor?). But they don't write anywhere if I need to change anything i BIOS or do anything else to get it to work.

I have written to Gigabyte's support about this, but as people may know it takes about a week to get a reply, which doesn't make it very helpful.

I have ordered a GC-Titan Ridge AIC to get full 5K, but unfortunately I will have that card in 2 weeks from now, so finding a solution with the on-board Thunderbolt ports waiting for it, would be very pleasant.
I don't know what could be going wrong. You should be able to set the initial GPU to the PCIe slot containing the Radeon. The Thunderbolt port should be able to get DisplayPort from the Radeon if the DisplayPort input is connected correctly to the Radeon and the iGPU is sufficiently disabled/disconnected.

Hi, I got my display working but for some reason, my webcam and speakers won't work on macOS nor windows. I've tested them on a real mac, and I'm getting full 5K so I know my thunderbolt cable to my add-in card is working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi, I got my display working but for some reason, my webcam and speakers won't work on macOS nor windows. I've tested them on a real mac, and I'm getting full 5K so I know my thunderbolt cable to my add-in card is working. Does anyone have any ideas?

For me they only work after a cold boot. So if you are re-booting into one of those operating systems It could be that this is the issue. Another possibility are your BIOS settings. Make sure to disable any security feature.

if you want full functionality (including webcam and speakers) - you need to flash your thunderbolt controller with apple-compatible firmware. you can find instructions on this forum.

I don't know what could be going wrong. You should be able to set the initial GPU to the PCIe slot containing the Radeon. The Thunderbolt port should be able to get DisplayPort from the Radeon if the DisplayPort input is connected correctly to the Radeon and the iGPU is sufficiently disabled/disconnected.
I finally got it to work. Seems like the 2 m Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (40 Gbps) that I've purchased did not work with the monitor when running a cable from the GPU to the DP(in) on the motherboard and the Belkin TB3 Cable from the TB3 port on the motherboard to the monitor. But I got it to work with the short 0.5 m TB3 Cable that was included with the LG Monitor strangely.

But now I have received the Titan Ridge card and I am able to run the resolution in full 5K which looks great. I had to run a single pin jumper cable on the Thunderbolt header(5 pin) on the Titan Ridge card between the highest pin and the middle pin (seen when the PCIe connectors are facing the floor) to get it to work as my Z490 Vision D motherboard does not have a Thunderbolt header on it. To my surprise, it actually worked immediately and I didn't have to install any new firmware or make any changes in BIOS, etc.

But the next problem is that I (as you hinted) can not get the speakers and the camera (with mic) to work on the monitor. These worked when I used the monitor without the Titan Ridge card, but not anymore. I'm really struggling to find an explanation on how to get them to work. Any direction any of you could point me in?

Last edited:
I finally got it to work.[..]

Hi

Please could you tell me whether it's the old 5k or the new one?
And does the monitor work during boot? ...meaning, can you enter boot and see it on your 5k.
I am guessing, also, you are able to change its brightness using the keyboard.

Sorry if I am not helpful, I am double checking everything before committing to an hackintosh.

Hi

Please could you tell me whether it's the old 5k or the new one?
And does the monitor work during boot? ...meaning, can you enter boot and see it on your 5k.
I am guessing, also, you are able to change its brightness using the keyboard.

Sorry if I am not helpful, I am double checking everything before committing to an hackintosh.
Hi, no worries!

I actually have the first issue (27MD5KA) I just realised. But I bought it second hand and there's a sticker on the backside as if some third party has worked on it (possibly to solve the interference issue?) so it might be refurbished? I'm not certain as I don't know its history, but I haven't had any interference issue so far.

Below is some info I found online of the different versions if it might be helpful:
27MD5KL
  • current (as of 2020) revision updated in 2019
  • added: usb-c compatibility
  • changed: contrast - 1100:1
  • changed: charging - 94w
  • changed: thunderbolt controller: Titan Ridge (EDID id: 5b74)
27MD5KB

• previous
  • contrast - 1200:1
  • charging - 85w
  • thunderbolt controller: Alpine Ridge (EDID id: 5b11)
27MD5KA

• original version
  • WARNING: this model caused interference issues
  • sold for a short time only at Apple stores before being removed from shelves

Hi, no worries!

I actually have the first issue [..]

Nice, that's the same one I have.
Could you tell me whether you can see the BIOS post with you 5k?

Back