Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Yes, the Ultrafine works on BIOS for me.
You might need to install the Thunderbolt drivers on Windows 10 so it the options shows on your BIOS.

Anyone here give the Planar IX2790 5k display a try instead (or in addition)?

If so - anyone get one with no stuck pixels or other issues?

Anyone here give the Planar IX2790 5k display a try instead (or in addition)?

If so - anyone get one with no stuck pixels or other issues?

I have two IX2790, both have issues: dead pixels, always-on-pixels, and image retention along the edges of the screen.
Also I've tried Liyama 5K monitor - it's have fully same panel and hardware as used in planar (and same issues).
Dell UP2715K I've used over a year have inconsistent white color temperature along display area....
Many LG 5K displays also have this problems.

@wladdych Thx for the report

I grabbed another IX2790 also - it already went back.
It's all more of the same.

I'm not sure what is next, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for the amount of issues and flaws I kept staring at.

The jury is in and Planar & liyama both seem to be building their monitors from sub "Apple quality expectations" panels (rejects that Apple didn't want). It's really too bad.

@wladdych Thx for the report

I grabbed another IX2790 also - it already went back.
It's all more of the same.

I'm not sure what is next, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for the amount of issues and flaws I kept staring at.

The jury is in and Planar & liyama both seem to be building their monitors from sub "Apple quality expectations" panels (rejects that Apple didn't want). It's really too bad.

Currently I'm stopped on LG 5K B-version (seconds LG 5K I've bought) - it works with X299-based hackintosh without a problems (except I need to unplug and plug Thunderbolt connector in order to make macOS detect monitor).
The first LG 5K I've bought was A-version, and it has image retention problem along whole display area.

Currently i'm stopped on LG 5K B-version (seconds LG 5k i've bought) - it works with x299-based hackintosh without a problems (except i need to unplug and plug thunderbolt connector in order to make mac os detect monitor).
The first LG 5K i've bought was A-version and it have image retention problem along whole display area.

Are you doing the whole Alpine or Titan Ridge add-on card route, then I take it?

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 - I think not as neither are thunderbolt supported but I’m wondering if either the Alpine Ridge or the Titan Ridge will work on my machine, can anyone advise what hardware or recommended motherboard I need to replace to get it set-up with LG Ultrafine 5K display, already bootable and working version of clover.

Or any optimal 2020 set-ups would be good but ideally any success with as little modifications to my current hardware would be great :)

Last edited:
I have a problem with LG 5K: after booting monitor is recognized in os x and it thinks that it is powered on. I have two monitors - second monitor (connected with DisplayPort) is turned on, and I see that macOS draws first desktop on first monitor (LG 5k). BUT, LG 5k in fact isn't turned on - I see only black display (backlight is not enabled). After I plug out and then plug in thunderbolt 3 cable - it turns on and working well. How to make it correctly turn on after booting?

I’ve had some success but not quite there yet with booting into macOS. Windows appears to work fine and I think it’s scaled to 4K.

When booting into macOS using Clover I have no luck after the bootloader screen (just a black screen) even when removing DP no.2 from the Alpine ridge card.

Not sure if its related to a memory issue, I’m not using any EFI fixes or iGPU modifications so that could be a route to go down. Any thoughts or feedback on this welcome.

Here are my specs:

Z390 Designare
i7-8086K
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
Alpine Ridge (2 DP connected to the RX 580 and USB-C connected to LG Ultrafine 5K)
LG Ultrafine 5K

SMBIOS iMac 18,3
macOS Catalina 10.15.5 – Clover r5118

Back