Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Funny note: I actually bought a second Titan Ridge card last week to test that! I feel like this one comes from a different batch, but it still does the same thing.

I do have a Thunderbolt 3 hub that outputs a single HDMI, but that won't be of much use, will it?

I'm not running MacOS on my desktop at the moment, so I can't run AGDCDiagnose from that just yet. Is there a windows equivalent to that?

Some of the things I suspect might be that the Radeon just get that I want two 1.2 outputs, rather than a single 1.4. I'm trying to find someone else's machine with an Nvidia card.
Another thing I thought could be problematic, is that my cpu doesn't have an iGPU, so might not join the signal properly. I haven't found anyone else here or elsewhere that's trying the same thing with an 'F' cpu, though.
Since you have USB and Audio working, there should be no problems. You need dual DisplayPort output from the GPU into the GC-TITAN RIDGE to get 5K. I don't know a method in Windows to check that. Maybe you need updated AMD drivers.

I would definitely try the dual display from single Thunderbolt port test. If a dock is too expensive then you can try a Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort adapter. Actually, to verify that both DisplayPort inputs work, you just need to test two displays - one display per Thunderbolt port - connected at the same time.

Received Alpine Ridge today. Output rx580 two displayports to it and linked it with the monitor through thunderbolt. Does not receive 5K though:
2020-04-02_13-57-56.png

Does Alpine Ridge card also need the jumper thing CaseySJ mentioned? If so can someone show me how to do it?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Received Alpine Ridge today. Output rx580 two displayports to it and linked it with the monitor through thunderbolt. Does not receive 5K though:

Does Alpine Ridge card also need the jumper thing CaseySJ mentioned? If so can someone show me how to do it?
Thanks!
You don't need the jumper if you just want DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion.

Check output from AGDCDiagnose command to make sure there are two HBR2 connections to the display.

Maybe check the Thunderbolt cable - does it support 40 Gbps? You need a real Mac to check that.

You don't need the jumper if you just want DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion.

Check output from AGDCDiagnose command to make sure there are two HBR2 connections to the display.

Maybe check the Thunderbolt cable - does it support 40 Gbps? You need a real Mac to check that.
Thunderbolt cable came with the monitor so it should be fine. I tested it with mac mini and got 5K result:
Attachment.png

I decided to try one cable only and see if I can identify the problem. If I only connected one display port cable to DP IN 1, I was able to see the screen with 4096x2304. However if I connected the cable to DP IN 2, it's black screen. Maybe it's a card issue?
IMG_3536.jpeg

Last edited:
Thunderbolt cable came with the monitor so it should be fine. I tested it with mac mini and got 5K result:

I decided to try one cable only and see if I can identify the problem. If I only connected one display port cable to DP IN 1, I was able to see the screen with 4096x2304. However if I connected the cable to DP IN 2, it's black screen. Maybe it's a card issue?
Did you verify that the RX 580 can drive two DisplayPort displays?

Did you test that both DisplayPort inputs work? Connect the single output to the other input and connect the Thunderbolt cable to the other Thunderbolt port. I think if you use DP IN 1 then you need to use TB 1. If you use DP IN 2 then you need to use TB 2.

A few more things to try:
Plug in the other TB3 output.
Update the thunderbolt firmware on windows.
agdpmod flag

Is anyone have luck with LG 5K working during BIOS initialization? I have two monitors connected (one LG 5K connected to Titan Ridge) and second Planar ix2790 DisplayPort 1.4-connected monitor. During boot, only planar are initialized. After system booted, I need to power-cycle LG 5K in order to power on it. (It just hangs on if i power on it before OS was started up.) Motherboard is Asus X299 Sage WS. And maybe anyone connected Titan's Ridge USB connector to this motherboard? I can't find suitable USB2.0 connector on motherboard PCB, so my display brightness control not working (only with DDC/CI).

I can't find suitable USB2.0 connector on motherboard PCB, so my display brightness control not working (only with DDC/CI).
LG UltraFine 5K connects as Thunderbolt so it doesn't use the USB 2.0 connector of Titan Ridge. You need PCIe tunnelling over Thunderbolt to work to get access to the USB controller in the LG UltraFine 5K that controls brightness.

To connect the USB 2.0 of Titan Ridge - just use any USB connector (USB 3.0 header connector on the motherboard or an external USB Type A connector - there's an adapter cable for any variation).

LG UltraFine 5K connects as Thunderbolt so it doesn't use the USB 2.0 connector of Titan Ridge. You need PCIe tunnelling over Thunderbolt to work to get access to the USB controller in the LG UltraFine 5K that controls brightness.

Is there are any manual how to enable PCIe tunnelling ? I've setup my BIOS as stated in KGP's manual, and inserted titan ridge into a second PCIe slot. But monitor still not powers on with system startup - i need to plug out thunderbolt 3 connector after a system startup and plug it in again.

Back