Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Yes! Sorry I should have mentioned it before, completely forgot the thread was for the Ultrafine 5k. I'm working with the Pro Display XDR, Titan Ridge, and X299 board (Sage 10G) which has a thunderbolt header.

The 5700 XT works great with this display, although it seems I only need a single port connected to make it work. I've also tried with a Radeon VII, which I haven't been able to make it work with the 6K display, even with two displayport 1.4 attached.
Single port works because the 5700XT supports DSC. In fact, you can use a Moshi DisplayPort to USB-C cable to connect the display without the Titan Ridge.
Code:
  Reg: 000060: 01 : DSC Support: 1
  Reg: 000061: 21 : DSC Algorithm revision: 33
  Reg: 000062: 00 : DSC RC Buffer Block size: 0
  Reg: 000063: 0f : DSC RC Buffer size: 15
  Reg: 000064: 0b : DSC slice Capabilities 1 : 11
  Reg: 000065: 04 : DSC Line buffer bit depth: 4
  Reg: 000066: 00 : DSC Block prediction support: 0
  Reg: 000067: 00 : DSC Maximum bit per pixel: 0
  Reg: 000068: 00 : DSC Maximum bit per pixel: 0
  Reg: 000069: 01 : DSC Decoder color format capabilities: 1
  Reg: 00006a: 0e : DSC decoder color depth capabilities: 14
  Reg: 00006b: 02 : DSC Peak Throughput: 2
  Reg: 00006c: 0c : DSC Maximum Slice width: 12
  Reg: 00006d: 00 : DSC Slice capabilities 2: 0
  Reg: 00006e: 00 : Reserved: 0
  Reg: 00006f: 00 : DSC Bits per pixel increment: 0
  Reg: 000090: 0f : FEC Capability: 0xf

Reg: 000160: 01 : DSC Enable: 0x1

Reg: 00020f: 07 : DSC Status: 7

The Radeon VII gets two displayport 1.4 attached at HBR2, but the text is all blurry.
The Radeon VII probably doesn't support DSC so it should use dual link mode. You see both connections but they are only running at HBR2? HBR3 is required for 6K. Post AGDCDiagnose for Radeon VII connection, and SwitchResX timing info for the blurry resolution.

You're sure that you are using the GC-TITAN RIDGE and not a GC-ALPINE RIDGE?

There was a problem with the Blackmagic eGPU where it would only connect at HBR2 speed instead of HBR3 speed. A firmware patch for the Blackmagic eGPU was released to fix that. I hope this isn't the same problem with the GC-TITAN RIDGE... Maybe the firmware patch should have been made for the XDR display...

Have you tried it in Windows?

Do you have a different DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 display to test?

Try a single cable connection between the Radeon VII and GC-TITAN RIDGE.

Try a single cable connection between the Radeon VII and the XDR (using bi directional USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 cable).

For each test, post AGDCDiagnose output.

Single port works because the 5700XT supports DSC. In fact, you can use a Moshi DisplayPort to USB-C cable to connect the display without the Titan Ridge.
Code:
  Reg: 000060: 01 : DSC Support: 1
  Reg: 000061: 21 : DSC Algorithm revision: 33
  Reg: 000062: 00 : DSC RC Buffer Block size: 0
  Reg: 000063: 0f : DSC RC Buffer size: 15
  Reg: 000064: 0b : DSC slice Capabilities 1 : 11
  Reg: 000065: 04 : DSC Line buffer bit depth: 4
  Reg: 000066: 00 : DSC Block prediction support: 0
  Reg: 000067: 00 : DSC Maximum bit per pixel: 0
  Reg: 000068: 00 : DSC Maximum bit per pixel: 0
  Reg: 000069: 01 : DSC Decoder color format capabilities: 1
  Reg: 00006a: 0e : DSC decoder color depth capabilities: 14
  Reg: 00006b: 02 : DSC Peak Throughput: 2
  Reg: 00006c: 0c : DSC Maximum Slice width: 12
  Reg: 00006d: 00 : DSC Slice capabilities 2: 0
  Reg: 00006e: 00 : Reserved: 0
  Reg: 00006f: 00 : DSC Bits per pixel increment: 0
  Reg: 000090: 0f : FEC Capability: 0xf

Reg: 000160: 01 : DSC Enable: 0x1

Reg: 00020f: 07 : DSC Status: 7

The Radeon VII probably doesn't support DSC so it should use dual link mode. You see both connections but they are only running at HBR2? HBR3 is required for 6K. Post AGDCDiagnose for Radeon VII connection, and SwitchResX timing info for the blurry resolution.

You're sure that you are using the GC-TITAN RIDGE and not a GC-ALPINE RIDGE?

There was a problem with the Blackmagic eGPU where it would only connect at HBR2 speed instead of HBR3 speed. A firmware patch for the Blackmagic eGPU was released to fix that. I hope this isn't the same problem with the GC-TITAN RIDGE... Maybe the firmware patch should have been made for the XDR display...

Have you tried it in Windows?

Do you have a different DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 display to test?

Try a single cable connection between the Radeon VII and GC-TITAN RIDGE.

Try a single cable connection between the Radeon VII and the XDR (using bi directional USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 cable).

For each test, post AGDCDiagnose output.

Yes, it's a GC-TITAN RIDGE, or so the box says :)

I think it has the same issue of the blackmagic eGPU I think, but I don't have any other hardware to test this with. Windows has the same issue, I can only run the display at 5K with two DisplayPort 1.4, and 4K with one DisplayPort 1.4.

I don't have a single cable DP 1.4 -> USB-C right now. The Radeon Pro W5700 looks interesting, although I'm not sure if it'll work at all. I do need the USB2 hub functioning over Thunderbolt/USB-C.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a GC-TITAN RIDGE, or so the box says :)

I think it has the same issue of the blackmagic eGPU I think, but I don't have any other hardware to test this with. Windows has the same issue, I can only run the display at 5K with two DisplayPort 1.4, and 4K with one DisplayPort 1.4.

I don't have a single cable DP 1.4 -> USB-C right now. The Radeon Pro W5700 looks interesting, although I'm not sure if it'll work at all. I do need the USB2 hub functioning over Thunderbolt/USB-C.
Try the tests you have the equipment for and post results.

Do you have a Thunderbolt 3 device that you can put between the GC-TITAN RIDGE and the XDR?

I tried with my Acer XV273K and GC-TITAN RIDGE with Catalina 10.15.2. The Acer has two DisplayPort 1.4 connectors. If I try to get both DisplayPort signals from a single Thunderbolt port, then one connects at HBR3 speed and the other connects at only HBR speed.

If I try two different Thunderbolt ports then both can connect at HBR3 speed.

I think we need some special logic to make it allow two HBR3 connections on a single Thunderbolt port.

You might need to contact Gigabyte to say that their GC-TITAN RIDGE add-in card won't connect properly to an Apple Pro Display XDR (dual HBR3 DisplayPort 1.4 connections from an AMD graphics card that doesn't support DSC).

They have a firmware update tool from October. Have you updated to that firmware? (I have not since mine is currently connected to a Mac Pro 2008 and I've heard that the update disables the warm boot from Windows enable trick for macOS on the Mac Pro)

I tried with my Acer XV273K and GC-TITAN RIDGE with Catalina 10.15.2. The Acer has two DisplayPort 1.4 connectors. If I try to get both DisplayPort signals from a single Thunderbolt port, then one connects at HBR3 speed and the other connects at only HBR speed.

If I try two different Thunderbolt ports then both can connect at HBR3 speed.

I think we need some special logic to make it allow two HBR3 connections on a single Thunderbolt port.

You might need to contact Gigabyte to say that their GC-TITAN RIDGE add-in card won't connect properly to an Apple Pro Display XDR (dual HBR3 DisplayPort 1.4 connections from an AMD graphics card that doesn't support DSC).

They have a firmware update tool from October. Have you updated to that firmware? (I have not since mine is currently connected to a Mac Pro 2008 and I've heard that the update disables the warm boot from Windows enable trick for macOS on the Mac Pro)

Thanks for the testing! I ordered some new cables to test various scenarios. The card has alredy been updated to the latest firmware.

Thanks for the testing! I ordered some new cables to test various scenarios. The card has alredy been updated to the latest firmware.
I would try connecting only one cable between the Radeon VII and the GC-TITAN RIDGE to prove that it can do HBR3 with a single cable at least. Get the AGDCDiagnose output for that, then connect the second cable, and get another AGDCDiagnose output to compare.

Hello, I opened a ticket to the Gigabyte support regarding my issue (black screen when CSM is disabled in BIOS and display not getting the highest resolution) with the Titan Ridge and they answered :

"We have not mentioned any support for 5K on our Titan Ridge's website.
Not supported."

Hello, I opened a ticket to the Gigabyte support regarding my issue (black screen when CSM is disabled in BIOS and display not getting the highest resolution) with the Titan Ridge and they answered :

"We have not mentioned any support for 5K on our Titan Ridge's website.
Not supported."
Tell him he's an idiot, and that GC-ALPINE RIDGE mentions 5K, and that both GC-ALPINE RIDGE and GC-TITAN RIDGE mentions two 4K, and that 5K is actually two displays that are less than 4K so of course it is supported, and that the GC-TITAN RIDGE mentions support for 8K (where 8 is a number that comes after 5 on the number line).

Anyway, I don't think they can help you with the crappiness of the LG UltraFine 5K. It has no buttons, and therefore depends on stuff working properly like they do on a Mac.

You have two things going for you: you have a GC-TITAN RIDGE which mentions support for your Z390 AORUS PRO which has a Thunderbolt header for the GC-TITAN RIDGE. So it should work perfectly in Windows. Do you have problems with the display in Windows switching to 4K?

Maybe this is a problem with WhateverGreen or one if it's boot-args, or maybe WhateverGreen can fix it somehow but I don't know.

One thing I would try is switching the DisplayPort inputs on the GC-TITAN RIDGE. Maybe changing the order of the connections will help.

Tell him he's an idiot, and that GC-ALPINE RIDGE mentions 5K, and that both GC-ALPINE RIDGE and GC-TITAN RIDGE mentions two 4K, and that 5K is actually two displays that are less than 4K so of course it is supported, and that the GC-TITAN RIDGE mentions support for 8K (where 8 is a number that comes after 5 on the number line).

Well, I didn't tell him that he's an idiot :), but I answered them that the manual guide (and not the website) mentions the support for 8K. I'm waiting for their feedback.

My problem is the following: when I enable CSM support in BIOS settings, I do not have more access to the "BIOS" screen (the one which says press DEL to enter BIOS, F12 to choose boot device or to enter in the BIOS. I have to flash it again in order to have CSM enabled and be able to enter into BIOS again). So during the boot sequence, i have a black screen for both Windows and macOS. The screen only works again when Windows or macOS displays the log in screen (only when CSM is disabled).

On Windows and macOS, the display is always in 4K, I have to unplug the TB3 cable in order to have 5K. Since you advised me to select "enable Thunderbolt boot support ", Windows always find now the camera and sound.
I attached a picture of my cables' connection between the Titan Ridge and the graphic card. I tried to switch the cable (Ouput 1 -> Input 1 and Output 2 -> Input 2 to Output1 -> Input 2 and Output 2 -> Input 1) but i have the same result... The thunderbolt cable is connected to the output 1 of the Titan Ridge.

Attachments

• RX580-TR.jpg
    RX580-TR.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 81
Well, i didn't tell him that he's an idiot :) but i answered them that the manual guide (and not the website) mentions the support for 8K... i'm waiting for their feedbacks.

My problem is the following: when i enable CSM support in BIOS settings, i do not have more access to the "BIOS" screen (the one which says press DEL to enter BIOS, F12 to choose boot device or to enter in the BIOS. I have to flash it again in order to have CSM enabled and be able to enter into BIOS again). So during the boot sequence, i have a black screen for both Windows and macOS. The screen only works again when Windows or macOS displays the log in screen (only when CSM is disabled).

On Windows and macOS, the display is always in 4K, i have to unplug the TB3 cable in order to have 5K. Since you advised me to select "enable Thunderbolt boot support ", Windows always find now the camera and sound.
I attached a picture of my cables' connection between the Titan Ridge and the graphic card. I tried to switch the cable (Ouput 1 -> Input 1 and Output 2 -> Input 2 to Output1 -> Input 2 and Output 2 -> Input 1) but i have the same result... The thunderbolt cable is connected to the output 1 of the Titan Ridge.
Do you know if you have the older or newer LG UltraFine 5K? I think the newer one has Titan Ridge controller inside. You should be able to see the Titan Ridge controller in the output of ioreg in macOS or in Device Manager in Windows.

Please run the following commands in macOS when the display is running at 5K and when it is reset to 4K.
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1
system_profiler SPUSBDataType SPThunderboltDataType SPPCIDataType > system_profiler.txt
Change the file names for each output file and post the results. The commands will show how the display is connected to the GPU.

Back