Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

This may not be very helpful but here is what happens with mine.

Select sleep from the Apple menu, screens blank almost instantly, computer itself effectively powers down (lights off / fans off) about 30 seconds later.

Hit a key on the keyboard, computer turns on instantly, but displays could sit for 1 minute to come on by themselves to the login screen. However, if I hit a key a few times they all come on in about 5-6 seconds.

Its not the cleanest. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to point me in the right direction - my suspicion right now is some sort of USB issue.
I remember reading a few months ago something @CaseySJ said about "darkwake=0" being something to try to either be able to wake it with one key press or to avoid it. Can't remember exactly but what something like that. Maybe try it.

Also I'm very interested in your findings regarding the TB3 header. Looks like it's not really used for anything then? Because, if Video, Audio, Mic, etc., works just fine on the LG 5K, what is it for really?. This is also interesting because I can basically pick any motherboard I want without having to constrain myself to the ones that come with the TB3 Header

I remember reading a few months ago something @CaseySJ said about "darkwake=0" being something to try to either be able to wake it with one key press or to avoid it. Can't remember exactly but what something like that. Maybe try it.

Also I'm very interested in your findings regarding the TB3 header. Looks like it's not really used for anything then? Because if Video, Audio, Mic, etc works just fine on the LG 5k what is it for really?. This is also interesting because I can basically pick any motherboard I want without having to constrain myself to the ones that come with the TB3 Header

That may be a jump without getting it confirmed. What I am specifically saying is that on a Gigabyte Thunderbolt supported motherboard I added a Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card, plugged in the Thunderbolt header, configured Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS, plugged in a LG 5K display, connected the Thunderbolt card to USB and got it working at true 5k. After all that I then powered down the machine, unplugged the thunderbolt header alone and when I powered back up the display still operated at 5k.

I think the key here is that what I am able to confirm is that I have DisplayPort passthrough to Thunderbolt successfully working on both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge cards installed at the same time, directly into a Thunderbolt supporting motherboard with apparently no ongoing requirement for a Thunderbolt header connection. Which is great for people in my use case of wanting to use multiple thunderbolt displays alone.

However what this does NOT confirm is whether:

1) Other (non display) Thunderbolt devices would work in this way - I have a drive I can test with
2) Whether the LG5k even uses Thunderbolt for Camera / Mic / USB - I could remove the USB connection to see if that is what it is used for
3) Whether prior installation of either Alpine Ridge / Titan Ridge card WITH the Thunderbolt header played a part in getting it all working.

I have just completed the same procedure a second time, full power off including power supply before rebooting with THB_C unplugged (USB still connected) and its good news. SwitchResX is reporting that my pixel clock is 938.25MHZ, Vertical Scan Rate 59.993 and running at 5120 x 2880 all from a Titan Ridge card that is currently not attached to the thunderbolt header (it is directly plugged into the motherboard) - although it has been connected to the header in the past (no idea if that counts for anything or not).
Thank you for checking this out for me. Much appreciated.

Seems like my plan could indeed work. Just ordered one of those Mac Pro Dune cases so if that thing actually ships in January 2020 I'll have to commit to building this. Maybe we will see some additional hardware support between now and January too...

Anyone having trouble getting a GC-Titan Ridge? They seem out of stock pretty much everywhere.

I found the same thing a couple of months back when I picked mine up. If I waited until they were in stock on Amazon they were gone again in hours. I back ordered on Scan.co.uk and got it a few days later when they came back in stock at normal prices - in fact looking on it today they are in stock and cheap so if ordering from the UK is an option it could be worth taking a look.

That may be a jump without getting it confirmed. What I am specifically saying is that on a Gigabyte Thunderbolt supported motherboard I added a Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card, plugged in the Thunderbolt header, configured Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS, plugged in a LG 5K display, connected the Thunderbolt card to USB and got it working at true 5k. After all that I then powered down the machine, unplugged the thunderbolt header alone and when I powered back up the display still operated at 5k.

I think the key here is that what I am able to confirm is that I have DisplayPort passthrough to Thunderbolt successfully working on both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge cards installed at the same time, directly into a Thunderbolt supporting motherboard with apparently no ongoing requirement for a Thunderbolt header connection. Which is great for people in my use case of wanting to use multiple thunderbolt displays alone.

However what this does NOT confirm is whether:

1) Other (non display) Thunderbolt devices would work in this way - I have a drive I can test with
2) Whether the LG5k even uses Thunderbolt for Camera / Mic / USB - I could remove the USB connection to see if that is what it is used for
3) Whether prior installation of either Alpine Ridge / Titan Ridge card WITH the Thunderbolt header played a part in getting it all working.

Have you figured out if the camera / mic / USB need the USB connector plugged or go through Thunderbolt?

I tried to remove the USB connection, unplugged the USB cable and booted. What I got was the LG refusing to turn on and my triple monitor setup sitting with 2 monitors with a black screen (powered on but displaying a black picture) and the LG sitting looking like it was completely turned off. I had a loop of beachball / pointer / beachball / pointer on one screen that was showing the mouse pointer.

Tried it a couple of times and the same every time, the LG just would not turn on.

I replaced the USB connection to the gigabyte Titan Ridge card and the machine booted fine with the LG turning on as expected first time.

It looks like, at least in my setup, that the USB cable is required.

For what its worth when I go to System Report the LG Ultrafine Display Camera / LG Ultrafine Display Audio / LG Ultrafine Display Controls are all showing under Hardware -> USB -> USB 3.1 Hub with the camera nested on its own USB 3.1 Hub and the Audio and Controls nested on their own USB 2.1 Hub.

Hello,

I'm new in the hackintosh world, and I have some issues with my LG 5K Ultrafine. I chose OpenCore as bootloader because I wanted to learn without copying already existing configuration for Clover and understanding what I did. I have installed macOS Mojave 10.14.6. The system works but I have some problem with my LG 5: sometimes the displays is in 5K and sometimes in 4K. I noticed that when the display is in 4K, if I disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable, the screen switches to 5K. I have the same behavior under macOS and Windows. On Windows, I have to disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable in order to have the sound and camera available.

Here is a summary of my configuration and what i did:
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Pro (with F11 Bios) motherboard with a Gigabyte Titan-Ridge card and a Sapphire RX 580 graphic card. The two DisplayPorts of the graphic card are connected to the two input ports of the Titan-Ridge. The Thunderbolt output one of the Titan-Ridge is connected to the LG display. On the motherboard, the Titan-ridge is connected to the THB_C and F_USB1 connectors and power supply (as described in the guide).

Windows 10 is installed on a dedicated disk. Drivers installation and firmware update have been done for the Titan-Ridge. The Titan card is available in the BIOS and has the following settings:

Code:
Settings
- Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support            Enabled
- TBT Vt-d base security                      Disabled
- Thunderbolt Boot Support                    Disabled
- Wake From Thunderbolt (TM) Devices          Enabled
- Security Level                              No Security
- Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
    - Thunderbolt Usb Support                  Enabled
    - GPIO3 Force Pwr                          Enabled
    - DTBT Controller 0 Configuration
        - DTBT Controller 0                    Enabled
        - TBT Host Router                      Two Port
        - Extra Bus Reserved                   106
        - Reserved Memory                      1184
        - Memory Alignment                     26
        - Reserved PMemory                     737
        - PMemory Alignment                    28
        - Reserved I/O                         0
I use the following boot-args: keepsyms=1 slide=0 shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 agdpmod=pikera
I attached two screenshots taken under windows: the first one is the device manager after booting and the second one after reconnecting the thunderbolt cable.

Why do I need to disconnect / reconnect the thunderbolt cable in order to have the LG5 working properly?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• win_lg5_at_boot.JPG
    win_lg5_at_boot.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 38
  • win_lg5_reconnect.JPG
    win_lg5_reconnect.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 34
I have the same issue. All of the USB devices attached to the display reset as well (forcing my USB DAC to full volume) whenever I disconnect and reconnect the cable, making it really annoying.

I’d just put it down to macOS’s ThunderBolt drivers not being fully loaded, and Apple doing some kind of timed reset on display wake.

What I did find is that the second DisplayPort isn’t connected on wake, which explains the lower resolution.

I do wonder if there’s some command (say for eGPU support) that might be able to trigger this reset via software.

Back