Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Hey guys, I'm very interested on building a 5K hackintosh (as I said many times haha). I'm very picky when it comes to amount of time that it takes the Hackintosh to show image on the display coming from sleep (when I say sleep I mean the Hackintosh, not the display).

Would you mind telling how many seconds does it takes your hack to wake from sleep and show image on the LG 5K?

As an example, my iMac takes around 1-2 seconds to show screen both in the internal display and in the Cinema display connected to it. This is nice and very quick. However I do also have an LG 4K (model 27UK850) that if I connect it to my MacBook Pro it takes around 5 seconds to show display (using Thunderbolt connection on the display).

Thanks!

Try disabling encryption on your Thunderbolt settings in your BIOS, that made the display to connect much faster...

WX 7100 or WX 8200 have 4. WX 9100 has 6. I think the 8200 is the newest. 7100 is an older generation.

Yes I know it has 6 but dude only need 4 and if it has 6 it has 4. The 9100 is based on Vega tech, the 7100 is basically a workstation 580. The 8200 may not be supported and wasn't a few months back however, based on the 8200 specs it looks like a workstation Vega 56.

Try disabling encryption on your Thunderbolt settings in your BIOS, that made the display to connect much faster...
Oh really? never heard of that! Mind sharing your Mobo and how many seconds it takes for you? Thanks!

Yes I know it has 6 but dude only need 4 and if it has 6 it has 4. The 9100 is based on Vega tech, the 7100 is basically a workstation 580. The 8200 may not be supported and wasn't a few months back however, based on the 8200 specs it looks like a workstation Vega 56.
True, the 8200 isn't mentioned in the Apple Support page about eGPUs https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208544 .
Sonnet mentions it in their Radeon Pro page: http://www.sonnettech.com/radeonpro/
The WX 8200 might not have full identification in macOS but seems to work https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/radeon-pro-wx8200/
Less powerful cards are the 4100 and 5100. The 4100 is low profile though (don't know if it can fit in a full height PCIe slot). https://www.anandtech.com/show/1052...wx-4100-wx-5100-wx-7100-bring-polaris-to-pros

Do you know what happens when you unplug the Titan Ridge's THB_C cable from the motherboard? Will the Ultrafine 5K still work at 5K (just without camera and sound, like the Thunderbolt Display)?

I'm looking for options to run my two Ultrafine 5Ks which should technically be possible with two Titan Ridge cards - there's just one THB_C connector on the mainboard so I think I'm SOL for now.

Another issue is the lack of DisplayPorts of the graphics card. The only one I found so far to have 4 DisplayPorts (to connect two Titan Ridge cards) is the ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Taichi X but there are no MacOS drivers yet (but maybe in the future). RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 also have 4 DisplayPorts but may never have drivers.

Ok, I admit this surprised me. I am running 2 Thunderbolt cards plugged directly into my motherboard. The Titan Ridge is connected to the THB_C, and it drives the LG 5K by taking in two DisplayPort and sending out 1 USB C. It is also connected to the motherboard via a USB connector.

I powered down my machine, turned off the PSU, unplugged the THB_C connector from the Titan Ridge card (I left the USB connected) and booted straight into Catalina. Much to my surprise Display Audio and Display Webcam are both working perfectly with no THB_C connection.

Ok, I admit this surprised me. I am running 2 Thunderbolt cards plugged directly into my motherboard. The Titan Ridge is connected to the THB_C and it drives the LG 5K by taking in two DisplayPort and sending out 1 USB C. It is also connected to the motherboard via a USB connector.

I powered down my machine, turned off the PSU, unplugged the THB_C connector from the Titan Ridge card (I left the USB connected) and booted straight into Catalina. Much to my surprise Display Audio and Display Webcam are both working perfectly with no THB_C connection.
Excellent news. Thank you so much for taking the time to try. Seems like there's a very realistic chance that I could run two Titan Ridge cards on one board then. Was the 5K really running at true 5K and 60Hz? Sounds too good to be true, I'm definitely very surprised as well.

Now, we also have brand new drivers for the RX 5700 XT. I was looking at with 4 DisplayPorts. https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-s...m-for-egpu-radeon-rx-5700-rx-5700-xt/paged/6/

Now all I want is one of those Mac Pro Dune cases...

Excellent news. Thank you so much for taking the time to try. Seems like there's a very realistic chance that I could run two Titan Ridge cards on one board then. Was the 5K really running at true 5K and 60Hz? Sounds too good to be true, I'm definitely very surprised as well.

Now we also have brand new drivers for the RX 5700 XT I was looking at with 4 DisplayPorts. https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-s...m-for-egpu-radeon-rx-5700-rx-5700-xt/paged/6/

Now all I want is one of those Mac Pro Dune cases...

I have just completed the same procedure a second time, full power off including power supply before rebooting with THB_C unplugged (USB still connected) and its good news. SwitchResX is reporting that my pixel clock is 938.25MHZ, Vertical Scan Rate 59.993 and running at 5120 x 2880 all from a Titan Ridge card that is currently not attached to the thunderbolt header (it is directly plugged into the motherboard) - although it has been connected to the header in the past (no idea if that counts for anything or not).

Hey guys, I'm very interested on building a 5K hackintosh (as I said many times haha). I'm very picky when it comes to amount of time that it takes the Hackintosh to show image on the display coming from sleep (when I say sleep I mean the Hackintosh, not the display).

Would you mind telling how many seconds does it takes your hack to wake from sleep and show image on the LG 5K?

As an example, my iMac takes around 1-2 seconds to show screen both in the internal display and in the Cinema display connected to it. This is nice and very quick. However I do also have an LG 4K (model 27UK850) that if I connect it to my MacBook Pro it takes around 5 seconds to show display (using Thunderbolt connection on the display).

Thanks!
This may not be very helpful but here is what happens with mine.

Select sleep from the Apple menu, screens blank almost instantly, computer itself effectively powers down (lights off / fans off) about 30 seconds later.

Hit a key on the keyboard, computer turns on instantly, but displays could sit for 1 minute to come on by themselves to the login screen. However, if I hit a key a few times they all come on in about 5-6 seconds.

Its not the cleanest. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to point me in the right direction - my suspicion right now is some sort of USB issue.

Last edited:
Back