Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Mine often doesn't wake from sleep. I end up pulling the power cable and reconnecting it from my 5K Ultrafine multiple times each day. That fixes it until the machine goes to sleep again, but gosh I'd love to find a fix… or a "true" 5K display equivalent that doesn't require ThunderBolt 3 to work.
I believe that might be because of your motherboard. I've seen some users with Z370 having sleep working correctly including screen wake up and TB3 hot and plug support.

Possibly. I do have TB3 hot plug working, and it has always been pretty stable on X299 setups.

It's probably just because we still don't have proper, full TB3 working on any Hackintosh (and probably never will).

Just completed the upgrade to Catalina with a 2019 LG 5k 27MD5KL a few differences from Mojave.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
Intel core i9
Vega 64 8GB
SMB iMac19,1

Display 1 LG 5K (Summer 2019) - Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - 2 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) out going to the LG 5k. The GC-Titan Ridge connects to the thunderbolt header ion my motherboard and the display audio and webcam work out the box.

Display 2 Apple Thunderbolt 27” - Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge - 1 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) going to a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter going to a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display. The GC-Alpine Ridge in plugged directly into my motherboard using a spare slot but is NOT connected to the thunderbolt header. I do not have audio or webcam working on this 27” Thunderbolt Display - I have never been able to get this to work.

Display 3 iMac 2009 TDM - Vega 64 HDMI out going to a HDMI to DP converter going to a Late 2009 iMac running in target display mode. I have audio working on this display.

When first booting into Catalina after the upgrade I noticed that the LG 5k was back to 4k and my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display stopped working once the OS finished booting.

Installing Whatevergreen brought back the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display but left the LG 5K still at 4k

Adding agdpmod=pikera to my Clover boot arguments brought back the LG 5K to full 5k again - thanks sssteve!

I no longer appear to need the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patches (Black Screen Patch) so I have those disabled.

I have also removed my Intel UHD 630 config from Clover -> Devices -> Properties and replaced it with setting the Intel GFX parameter (0x3E928086) on that page and using the Inject Intel checkbox with ig-platform-id (0x3E920003) on the Clover -> Graphics Page.

All 3 displays working again perfectly, all being fed from the Vega 64 with full hardware acceleration (including Quick Look Previews) coming from the onboard Intel UHD 630.

I'm on Catalina with an older LG 5K and GC-Alpine Ridge (2 DP and Thunderbolt header) - no issues at all, webcam/speaker/microphone/usb working. Full 5k without WhateverGreen and using a board-id patch. iMac 18,3

But have to enable WhateverGreen for macOS updates or recovery mode

Adding agdpmod=pikera to my Clover boot arguments brought back the LG 5K to full 5k again - thanks sssteve!
I wonder why it made it work. It changes board-id to board-ix to fix black screen (AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy check for Apple supported hardware). Maybe by default vit9696,pikera value is used when there is an external GPU and 5K works only when there is only Piker's patch used.

Hey guys, I'm very interested on building a 5K hackintosh (as I said many times haha). I'm very picky when it comes to amount of time that it takes the Hackintosh to show image on the display coming from sleep (when I say sleep I mean the Hackintosh, not the display).

Would you mind telling how many seconds does it takes your hack to wake from sleep and show image on the LG 5K?

As an example, my iMac takes around 1-2 seconds to show screen both in the internal display and in the Cinema display connected to it. This is nice and very quick. However I do also have an LG 4K (model 27UK850) that if I connect it to my MacBook Pro it takes around 5 seconds to show display (using Thunderbolt connection on the display).

Thanks!

Just completed the upgrade to Catalina with a 2019 LG 5k 27MD5KL a few differences from Mojave.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
Intel core i9
Vega 64 8GB
SMB iMac19,1

Display 1 LG 5K (Summer 2019) - Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - 2 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) out going to the LG 5k. The GC-Titan Ridge connects to the thunderbolt header ion my motherboard and the display audio and webcam work out the box.

Display 2 Apple Thunderbolt 27” - Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge - 1 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) going to a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter going to a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display. The GC-Alpine Ridge in plugged directly into my motherboard using a spare slot but is NOT connected to the thunderbolt header. I do not have audio or webcam working on this 27” Thunderbolt Display - I have never been able to get this to work.

Display 3 iMac 2009 TDM - Vega 64 HDMI out going to a HDMI to DP converter going to a Late 2009 iMac running in target display mode. I have audio working on this display.

When first booting into Catalina after the upgrade I noticed that the LG 5k was back to 4k and my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display stopped working once the OS finished booting.

Installing Whatevergreen brought back the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display but left the LG 5K still at 4k

I no longer appear to need the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patches (Black Screen Patch) so I have those disabled.

I have also removed my Intel UHD 630 config from Clover -> Devices -> Properties and replaced it with setting the Intel GFX parameter (0x3E928086) on that page and using the Inject Intel checkbox with ig-platform-id (0x3E920003) on the Clover -> Graphics Page.

All 3 displays working again perfectly, all being fed from the Vega 64 with full hardware acceleration (including Quick Look Previews) coming from the onboard Intel UHD 630.
Do you know what happens when you unplug the Titan Ridge's THB_C cable from the motherboard? Will the Ultrafine 5K still work at 5K (just without camera and sound, like the Thunderbolt Display)?

I'm looking for options to run my two Ultrafine 5Ks which should technically be possible with two Titan Ridge cards - there's just one THB_C connector on the mainboard so I think I'm SOL for now.

Another issue is the lack of DisplayPorts of the graphics card. The only one I found so far to have 4 DisplayPorts (to connect two Titan Ridge cards) is the ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Taichi X but there are no MacOS drivers yet (but maybe in the future). RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 also have 4 DisplayPorts but may never have drivers.

Do you know what happens when you unplug the Titan Ridge's THB_C cable from the motherboard? Will the Ultrafine 5K still work at 5K (just without camera and sound, like the Thunderbolt Display)?

I'm looking for options to run my two Ultrafine 5Ks which should technically be possible with two Titan Ridge cards - there's just one THB_C connector on the mainboard so I think I'm SOL for now.

Another issue is the lack of DisplayPorts of the graphics card. The only one I found so far to have 4 DisplayPorts (to connect two Titan Ridge cards) is the ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Taichi X but there are no MacOS drivers yet (but maybe in the future). RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 also have 4 DisplayPorts but may never have drivers.

The AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 or WX 9100 both have 4 display ports, and both cards are supported.

WX 7100 or WX 8200 have 4. WX 9100 has 6. I think the 8200 is the newest. 7100 is an older generation.
Whoa, they're quite expensive. Looked at the WX 7100 on Amazon Spain and they're up for ~900€

Back