Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Thanks bluepr0.

There seems to be good feedback from HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 which is an Alpine ridge in an external enclosure. I assume I could get a 5K video signal on Thunderbolt with that device. But, there is no way to get the GPU audio devices passed-through to the monitor using this setup?
If this dock has 2 Display port in then maybe you could get out a 5K@60hz 10 bits signal. If it only has one Display port in then it will run at 4K

I’m not entirely sure about the audio to be honest. @joevt is the master on this :D

There seems to be good feedback from HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 which is an Alpine ridge in an external enclosure. I assume I could get a 5K video signal on Thunderbolt with that device. But, there is no way to get the GPU audio devices passed-through to the monitor using this setup?
If this dock has 2 Display port in then maybe you could get out a 5K@60hz 10 bits signal. If it only has one Display port in then it will run at 4K
No, the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 cannot convert DisplayPort to Thunderbolt. It has only one input which can be USB-C DisplayPort alt mode (two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 + USB 3.1 gen 2) or Thunderbolt 3 (two 4 lane DisplayPort 1.4 connections + PCIe 3.0 x4 to a USB 3.1 gen 2 controller).

If you use USB-C instead of Thunderbolt then the Thunderbolt port of the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 will only output USB 2.0. In other words, the DisplayPort signals that go into the Thunderbolt Dock G2 must have already been converted to Thunderbolt in order for them to be output as Thunderbolt.

To convert two DisplayPort outputs to Thunderbolt (to obtain 5K60Hz 10bpc RGB on an LG UltraFine 5K display), you need a GC-TITAN RIDGE or a GC-ALPINE RIDGE.

I’m not entirely sure about the audio to be honest.
If the display supports audio over DisplayPort then it will work if you can get an image no matter how it's connected. But I think audio in the LG UltraFine 5K is done using USB instead of DisplayPort. Therefore it will not work with a GC-TITAN RIDGE or a GC-ALPINE RIDGE that is not connected to a PCIe slot of your computer or is not properly enabled for PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt.

Decided to upgrade to 10.15 – Catalina, and I can't get the 5k resolution to work again.
Some things I tested:
  • AGDPfix.app
  • Lilu + WhatEvergreen .kexts + boot arg: agdpmod=ignore
  • KextToPatch: AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy: 626F6172 642D6964 -> 626F6172 642D6978
Any thoughts ?

Ok, what was once exactly like my Mojave build didn't work for Catalina.

agdpmod=pikera did the trick.

Ok, what was once exactly like my Mojave build didn't work for Catalina.

agdpmod=pikera did the trick.

Nice one! Which profile are you using? I started using iMac 19,1 recently, which weird works with everything sleep & wake included (got TB3 PNP on my Z390 working, too). Good to know Catalina works fine on 5k builds.

This build is also a z170x-ud5 (for the thunderbolt header) since my z170x-gaming 7 dont have one, but works anyway.

I'm using the iMac 17,1

Just to chime in to confirm another LG 5k 27MD5KL success.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
Intel core i9
Vega 64 8GB
Mojave
SMB iMac19,1

Display 1 LG 5K (Summer 2019) - Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - 2 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) out going to the LG 5k. The GC-Titan Ridge connects to the thunderbolt header ion my motherboard and the display audio and webcam work out the box.

Display 2 Apple Thunderbolt 27” - Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge - 1 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) going to a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter going to a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display. The GC-Alpine Ridge in plugged directly into my motherboard using a spare slot but is NOT connected to the thunderbolt header. I do not have audio or webcam working on this 27” Thunderbolt Display - I have never been able to get this to work.

Display 3 iMac 2009 TDM - Vega 64 HDMI out going to a HDMI to DP converter going to a Late 2009 iMac running in target display mode. I have audio working on this display.

I needed to remove WhateverGreen and use 2 DP connections from the Vega 64 to the GC Titan Ridge in order to get the LG 5K to utilise full 5k mode rather than the OS scaling down to 4k.

Under Clover - Kernel and Kext Patches I also have the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch selected (Black Screen patch)

Just to chime in to confirm another LG 5k 27MD5KL success.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
Intel core i9
Vega 64 8GB
Mojave
SMB iMac19,1

Display 1 LG 5K (Summer 2019) - Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - 2 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) out going to the LG 5k. The GC-Titan Ridge connects to the thunderbolt header ion my motherboard and the display audio and webcam work out the box.

Display 2 Apple Thunderbolt 27” - Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge - 1 DP in from the Vega 64 with 1 Thunderbolt (Type C) going to a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter going to a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display. The GC-Alpine Ridge in plugged directly into my motherboard using a spare slot but is NOT connected to the thunderbolt header. I do not have audio or webcam working on this 27” Thunderbolt Display - I have never been able to get this to work.

Display 3 iMac 2009 TDM - Vega 64 HDMI out going to a HDMI to DP converter going to a Late 2009 iMac running in target display mode. I have audio working on this display.

I needed to remove WhateverGreen and use 2 DP connections from the Vega 64 to the GC Titan Ridge in order to get the LG 5K to utilise full 5k mode rather than the OS scaling down to 4k.

Under Clover - Kernel and Kext Patches I also have the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch selected (Black Screen patch)
Great! How long does it takes to wake from sleep on the Hack? From the moment you press a key in the keyboard to the moment the display shows the screen and you can see it

Great! How long does it takes to wake from sleep on the Hack? From the moment you press a key in the keyboard to the moment the display shows the screen and you can see it

Unfortunately I never bothered to get full sleep to work as I only ever use display sleep - right now my Hackintosh just starts to sleep and then reboots. However wake from display sleep is instant as you would expect.

Mine often doesn't wake from sleep. I end up pulling the power cable and reconnecting it from my 5K Ultrafine multiple times each day. That fixes it until the machine goes to sleep again, but gosh I'd love to find a fix… or a "true" 5K display equivalent that doesn't require ThunderBolt 3 to work.

Back