Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

@tholstro that setup won't be running your LG 5K display at full resolution, as there is only one input DisplayPort on that motherboard. It'll look close (and report that it is), but if you compare it to a device that's actually running retina resolution, you'll see the text isn't crisp.

I am waiting patiently for Apple's new Cinema Display to replace my 5K Ultrafine, assuming it is DisplayPort 1.4 compatible.

@tholstro that setup won't be running your LG 5K display at full resolution, as there is only one input DisplayPort on that motherboard. It'll look close (and report that it is), but if you compare it to a device that's actually running retina resolution, you'll see the text isn't crisp.

I am waiting patiently for Apple's new Cinema Display to replace my 5K Ultrafine, assuming it is DisplayPort 1.4 compatible.
Sure is... Native 5K resolution for sure. Compared it to my 2018 MBP plugged into it. Same!

Motherboard supports 8K over TB...

I was wrong... Just want to ensure I'm not disseminating incorrect information...

Last edited:
It can't be over one DisplayPort stream (even if it is v1.4). The LG Ultrafine series aren't compatible with DP 1.4 - they require 2 x DP 1.2.

If I unplug one of my DisplayPort inputs into my Titan Ridge controller, macOS still reports that it's running at 5K resolution, but the output is blurry compared to having both DisplayPort inputs connected.

It can't be over one DisplayPort stream (even if it is v1.4). The LG Ultrafine series aren't compatible with DP 1.4 - they require 2 x DP 1.2.

If I unplug one of my DisplayPort inputs into my Titan Ridge controller, macOS still reports that it's running at 5K resolution, but the output is blurry compared to having both DisplayPort inputs connected.
My display is identical when connected to my 2018 MBP...

The onboard Intel graphics (removed my RX580) can drive this 5K monitor as native 5k resolution as well. I've done that too.

BTW, I'm running the via the Titan Ridge built into my Designare MOBO...

I was wrong... Just want to ensure I'm not disseminating incorrect information...

Last edited:

I was wrong @tonyarnold! Your reply got me to digging deeper and you're right. Guess the only way to get 5K is with Alpine & Titan ridge controllers that have 2 DisplayPort in ports.

Now I can't *not* see the difference between my MacBook Pro and Hackintosh with the 5k display. Arg!

I’m really sorry! It’s a nice display, but the connection options suck. It’s honestly the one thing I’d change if I were building my machine over.

I’m really sorry! It’s a nice display, but the connection options suck. It’s honestly the one thing I’d change if I were building my machine over.
No worries bro. Appreciate you getting me on the right track!

What's ironic is my original build was an Aorus with Titan Ridge controller but switched to the Designare because Titan Ridge was built in. It's been quite the learning journey!

I'll have a Titan Ridge this evening. Doesn't show compatible with the Designare MOBO but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks @tonyarnold

I have a LG UF 5K working at full resolution over TB3 with RX580 plugged into the Designare MOBO DisplayPort in... No Titan Ridge adapter required but that works well too!

I just purchased the little brother LG UF 4K and not sure at this point how to get it working. It's listed as a USBC monitor but like the 5K it's actually DisplayPort.
Are all those three screenshots for the LG UltraFine 5K?

Last picture shows the resolution is only 4096 x 2304 and the pixel click is only 593.82 MHz (instead of something like 900+ MHz). That SwitchResX screen is probably the only way to check the resolution and frequency. Framebuffer size does not always equal display resolution. The OS can scale a framebuffer up (to display a low resolution on a high resolution LCD) or scale a frame buffer down (to display a HiDPI resolution that is not exactly a half of the display resolution; for example, in your second screenshot, the 3360 x 1890 hiDPI resolution is actually 6720 x 3780 and is scaled down to the display resolution which is probably 4096 x 2304 as shown in the third screen shot).

USB-C displays use DisplayPort alt mode. A USB-C cable has 4 high speed lines. In the case where DisplayPort alt mode is used, there are two possibilities:
1) Two lines for DisplayPort, two lines for USB 3.x
2) Four lines for DisplayPort
Both options include USB 2.0. The LG UltraFine 4K uses the latter.

The Thunderbolt port supports USB devices and docks, USB-C displays, DisplayPort displays, USB-C display adapters, Thunderbolt devices, docks, and displays. So it should work fine with the LG UltraFine 4K. The LG UltraFine 5K should be connected to a different Thunderbolt port that has two DisplayPort inputs to achieve 5K 60Hz resolution.

Are all those three screenshots for the LG UltraFine 5K?

Last picture shows the resolution is only 4096 x 2304 and the pixel click is only 593.82 MHz (instead of something like 900+ MHz). That SwitchResX screen is probably the only way to check the resolution and frequency. Framebuffer size does not always equal display resolution. The OS can scale a framebuffer up (to display a low resolution on a high resolution LCD) or scale a frame buffer down (to display a HiDPI resolution that is not exactly a half of the display resolution; for example, in your second screenshot, the 3360 x 1890 hiDPI resolution is actually 6720 x 3780 and is scaled down to the display resolution which is probably 4096 x 2304 as shown in the third screen shot).

USB-C displays use DisplayPort alt mode. A USB-C cable has 4 high speed lines. In the case where DisplayPort alt mode is used, there are two possibilities:
1) Two lines for DisplayPort, two lines for USB 3.x
2) Four lines for DisplayPort
Both options include USB 2.0. The LG UltraFine 4K uses the latter.

The Thunderbolt port supports USB devices and docks, USB-C displays, DisplayPort displays, USB-C display adapters, Thunderbolt devices, docks, and displays. So it should work fine with the LG UltraFine 4K. The LG UltraFine 5K should be connected to a different Thunderbolt port that has two DisplayPort inputs to achieve 5K 60Hz resolution.
Yes those are screenshots of the LG 5K on my Hackintosh and yes to my surprise it's only 4k.

I'll give the Titan Ridge a shot with my Designare this evening. Worked in my Auros build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.34.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.34.26 PM.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 10.13.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 10.13.47 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
So the Titan Ridge adapter arrived, installed and the LG 5K is indeed working at full 5K.

The downside with this configuration is the loss of the camera, speakers and brightness controls in the LG 5K. I believe this is because the Titan Ridge adapter Thunderbolt header isn't connected. So this configuration is merely a DisplayPort bridge between the RX 580 and LG 5K I believe...

Anyone know if the LG 5K camera, speakers and brightness controls work with the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt header connected to the MOBO?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 5.42.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 5.42.17 PM.png
    488 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Back