Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

With Sierra or High Sierra ? And did you try the eGPu ?

High Sierra Beta 3. No igpu or helper card needed. I'm on X99.

Great ! Can you take a screenshot of "about my Mac" ? Thanks a lot =)

I was running 5k on one display with a single GC-Alpine Ridge card, but I had no audio, camera (video), and brightness. I was going to troubleshoot the MB bios configuration, when I noticed TB was actually disabled...

I was puzzled that the 5k was actually working with out TB been enabled, but excited at the same time. I decided to install the second GC-Alpine Ridge and try it out, and it actually worked. No TB header is actually needed for 5k resolution (at least on my setup).

Did you have both displays running from two Thunderbolt cards when you took that screen shot of the IORegistry?

The only thing I can see from the screen shot is that only one of your Thunderbolt cards is seen on the PCIe bus of the system, and that the LG display connected to that Thunderbolt card has a Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller which is used by the camera and audio. Well, your search filter might be hiding the other Thunderbolt card? Can you use the Save As... command in IORegistryExplorer 2.1.app to export your IORegistry?

I'm wondering where the display controls are. It could be a USB HID device using the VESA Virtual Control usage page, or it could be using MCCS (Monitor Control Command Set) over a DDC connection (like EDID).

You can get USB Prober.app by following these instructions:
  1. Run Xcode.app
  2. Select menu Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> More Developer Tools...
  3. Search for USB
  4. Download IOUSBFamily Log Release for OS X 10.9.3
  5. You can follow the instructions at https://superuser.com/questions/781...usb-prober-from-the-developer-sdk-on-mac-os-x
  6. Or you can open IOUSBFamily-677.4.0.pkg using Pacifist.app https://www.charlessoft.com
  7. Extract USB Prober.app to your Utilities folder.
  8. Run USB Prober.app
  9. Select "Bus Probe" tab
  10. Click "Save Output"
  11. Save "USB Bus Probe.txt" to your Documents folder.

Yes both Thunderbolt cards were installed when I took the screen shot. Back to one of my previous points, only one Thunderbolt card is actually "supported" by the MB. So the main display will show as TB, using the primary card configured on the BIOS setting. The other card seems to be handling the video feed independently, thus you will not see a USB hub nor a TB card display in the OS.

Yes both Thunderbolt cards were installed when I took the screen shot. Back to one of my previous points, only one Thunderbolt card is actually "supported" by the MB. So the main display will show as TB, using the primary card configured on the BIOS setting. The other card seems to be handling the video feed independently, thus you will not see a USB hub nor a TB card display in the OS.
Does 5K work whether the Thunderbolt header is connected or not?
What if both Thunderbolt cards don't have the header connected?

Yes and Yes.

Yes and Yes.

Dnetcrawler can you please post your full build? And the extras you installed during the macOS installation process? Thank you very much for your information so far!

Back