Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

I has, but I use Magic Keyboard.

Hi so your 5k monitor also works with a single displayport stream coming from your Nvidia card into the dp input and then output though the thunderbolt cable? I was considering the alpine ridge card as it can handle dual 1.2 streams, as I thought this was necessary for getting the 5k resolution on the Ultrafine monitor?

Hi so your 5k monitor also works with a single displayport stream coming from your Nvidia card into the dp input and then output though the thunderbolt cable?
Hi, janmansilver.
Yes, I connected the output from the video card Nvidia to the input of the DP connector of the motherboard via the DP-cable 1.3.
Then from the motherboard's connector through a single thunderbolt, I connected the LG UltraFine.
But since DP-cabel 1.3 has a screen resolution limit of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, the monitor is also limited by this resolution.
I assume that if I replace my DP-cable 1.3 with version 1.4 and put another video card, for example Nvidia GTX 1060, then I can get a resolution of 5K.
P.S. I order cable dp 1.4 here and when it comes to me, I can answer more accurately.

I was considering the alpine ridge card as it can handle dual 1.2 streams, as I thought this was necessary for getting the 5k resolution on the Ultrafine monitor?
I do not know, but I think that 5K resolution can be obtained in the way that I described above.

@anatoliy.kant: I don't think this will work. DisplayPort 1.3 is sufficient for 5K resolution through a single cable, the problem is that TB3 just doesn't support DP1.3, it can only drive a 5K screen by combining two DP1.2 streams. The mainboard would need to convert the DP1.3 stream into two DP1.2 streams, but I don't think that it's able to do so.

Hi my thoughts: Thunderbolt 3 only supports DP 1.2, so it requires dual DP outs from the graphics and dual DP inputs in order to combine these to two split 1.2 DP streams. So I've purchased the alpine ridge card from Gigabyte, and will report back.

Actually having two 1.2 DP streams is actually a good idea as this in the only way to support 30bit color at 5k, because DP 1.3 and 1.4 only supports 24bit at 5k.

@anatoliy.kant: I don't think this will work. DisplayPort 1.3 is sufficient for 5K resolution through a single cable, the problem is that TB3 just doesn't support DP1.3, it can only drive a 5K screen by combining two DP1.2 streams. The mainboard would need to convert the DP1.3 stream into two DP1.2 streams, but I don't think that it's able to do so.

Fl0r!an:
Maybe you're right.
But in any case, I already order this cable and as soon as it comes I will be able to refute or deny your words.

DP 1.3 and 1.4 only supports 24bit at 5k.
Yes you are right. This is really so.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2017-04-21 в 2.45.09.png
    Снимок экрана 2017-04-21 в 2.45.09.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Снимок экрана 2017-04-21 в 2.44.58.png
    Снимок экрана 2017-04-21 в 2.44.58.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,077
Has anyone been able to get the 5K display to work correctly at full 5k resolution in any configuration in Sierra?

This adapter looks like it could be the key I just don't have an Ultrafine to test with

StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter – 4K 60Hz – Windows Only Compatible – USB C Adapter – DP Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANR4CYE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Ahh I see, that's unfortunate

Hi anatoliy and others I bought the x99 ultra gaming board from gigabyte and the alpine ridge adaptor and right now the ultrafine 5k screen boots fine and shows clover and the boot sequence but when I reach the log in screen it blanks out. Any thoughts? (I use a 1080 ti)

Back