Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

@wildwillow, thanks. Spent so much time reading and trying in the link you provided on the config.plist patching. End up I only need to disable the AppleGraphicsControl. As you indicated, I only can turn on the second monitor when the system booted to the Desktop. thanks a lot.
Glad it helped. It is great that you can can switch the monitor on instead of connecting/hotplugging the monitor each boot. It works out this way for me too. You'll find once your motherboard has POST the UEFI doesn't initialise the monitor when it is switched off(there are some monitors that do). Through my testing you can in fact switch on the 2nd monitor during Clover boot screen.

@wildwillow, thanks. Spent so much time reading and trying in the link you provided on the config.plist patching. End up I only need to disable the AppleGraphicsControl. As you indicated, I only can turn on the second monitor when the system booted to the Desktop. thanks a lot.

Is the Intel 530 driving the Ultrafine 5k at full resolution, 60hz?

Intel HD530 cannot run a display at 5K - Specs below from the i7-6700K.
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 06.38.44.png

So any chance of having dual 5k monitors is impossible?
I need to update my GPU's, but my motherboard and CPU aint gonna be upgraded.

Ive got the 2x Apple Cinema Display mDP working atm but 5k goodness would be amazing.
The cost of 2x5K monitors and 2 discreet cards(or daisy chaining from the first monitor) since you would need a total of 4xDP or possibly wait for DP1.3 would be extortionate. Apple's Thunderbolt ports can enable 5K yet PC motherboards TB only support 4K. My guess it could be done but ideally when the support is better.

I am happy to confirm that I have the ultrafine 5k monitor working on my hack in windows and macOS! Using z170 Designare with miniDP input fed from GTX 980TI. Followed Thunderbolt driver and firmware steps from TonyMac. Next step get Intel HD 530 running and feed it from that.
Hello, dudenesspa.
you can paint a little more detail how you got to bring the image on the display ultrafine 5k?
You use this type of connection?
Снимок экрана 2017-01-20 в 21.52.38.png

What do you think, will it work with this connection scheme Radeon RX 470 or GTX 960 with 5120x2880@60Hz resolution?

Hello, dudenesspa.
you can paint a little more detail how you got to bring the image on the display ultrafine 5k?
You use this type of connection?
View attachment 234609

What do you think, will it work with this connection scheme Radeon RX 470 or GTX 960 with 5120x2880@60Hz resolution?

So annoying that there is so little information about this. Many people want to purchase the new LG 5k monitors and make builds compatible with this display but Tonymacx has been silent about this. I think a few people have gotten it working but good luck. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will eventually post a full right up...

@wildwillow, I am struggling with the two monitors. It's not always boot correctly. When it booted into desktop, I turn on the second monitor. The first monitor will turn black and the second never got signal. Sometime, I have to reboot few time to get the second monitor. It's all random. Any idea?

@wildwillow, I am struggling with the two monitors. It's not always boot correctly. When it booted into desktop, I turn on the second monitor. The first monitor will turn black and the second never got signal. Sometime, I have to reboot few time to get the second monitor. It's all random. Any idea?
Try swapping your primary monitor as secondary. To try and stabilise booting so it works every time, try the hotplug method as described elsewhere.
Take a look at the workarounds I posted to try and help users get the use of dual monitors using HD530.
[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

So annoying that there is so little information about this. Many people want to purchase the new LG 5k monitors and make builds compatible with this display but Tonymacx has been silent about this. I think a few people have gotten it working but good luck. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will eventually post a full right up...

To suggest that tonymacx has been silent about this is simply incorrect. See the first page of this thread in case you missed it. The reason why there is so little information about these monitors is because they are quite new hardware, have only been available for a relatively short period of time, have confirmed issues with functionality and performance due to poor RF shielding and cost nearly $1000. Thats a lot of cash for anyone to spend on an item that *might* work and is only officially supported when used with a genuine Apple product.

Neither tonymac nor any of the mod team have access to one of these so far, so testing is not yet possible. You can not expect instructions and / or guides for hardware which we simply do not have. When we have confirmation that it works and what needs to be done, that information will be made available on the forums for all to see.

If you are so annoyed, you may like to go and spend almost $1000 to try it out and see for yourself.

In any case, we would not be able to advise if it would work with your hardware since you have not completed your hardware profile, as requested of all users in the site rules.

Please consider the content of your messages prior to posting. Thanks in advance.

Back