Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

I am happy to confirm that I have the ultrafine 5k monitor working on my hack in windows and macOS! Using z170 Designare with miniDP input fed from GTX 980TI. Followed Thunderbolt driver and firmware steps from TonyMac. Next step get Intel HD 530 running and feed it from that.

I am happy to confirm that I have the ultrafine 5k monitor working on my hack in windows and macOS! Using z170 Designare with miniDP input fed from GTX 980TI. Followed Thunderbolt driver and firmware steps from TonyMac. Next step get Intel HD 530 running and feed it from that.
Thanks dudenesspa! When you have time to write up a bit more details we'd love to hear about it! I'd be interested to know if it's displaying 4K or 5K. Does the high depth color work? What about the USB hub, webcam, and speakers? Thanks so much!

I think the closest solution to LG 5K is using Dell UP2715K monitor.
I used it with El Capitan Hackintosh. But it is very challenging situation.
You have to change clover flags, and you have to turn the monitor off while booting and you have to fix the resolution after booting. When you have to do these in every booting process you say "auhhh i dont want to use it". So finally i did it and i sold my Dell UP2715K. Now i am looking to buy a LG 27MU88-W 4K monitor (or something like it). It will solve the "you have to turn the monitor off while booting and you have to fix the resolution after booting." problems.

Final words, i think that 4K is the best for now. In the future you may think about LG 5K display when AMD or Nvidia put Thunderbolt or Type-c connections on their graphic cards.

This is my advice to you as a man used 5K and its problems.

P.S. There is another fact that, 5K is very very amazing :((

Last edited:
I went to an Apple Store and found that Mac Pro (round bin, 2013) connecting to LG 5K runs 2560x1440 HiDPI at default (HiDPI means real resolution is doubling, aka 5K).

However in my knowledge 5K output cannot be achieved with thunderbolt 2.

[update]: a side-by-side comparison shows that Mac Pro (the bin) + UltraFine 5K is not as clear as an iMac 27", but it is still very usable.

My guess is that it render thing at 5K, then downsample to 4K, output to display and upsample back to 5K. A close look showed the image is not perfectly crisp, but clear enough generally.

This means if GC-Alpine Ridge (2DP in) is out of stock anyway, we can buy the one from Asus (1DP in) as an alternative.

Last edited:
I went to an Apple Store and found that Mac Pro (round bin, 2013) connecting to LG 5K runs 2560x1440 HiDPI at default (HiDPI means real resolution is doubling, aka 5K).
Not necessarily. Apple's naming of HiDPI resolutions doesn't allow a conclusion of the native display resolution, it's just a internal "virtual" resolution. You could even do that on a classic non-HiDPI display (it's quite pointless though).

I guess it's rendering internally @ 1440p HiDPI and scales it down to 4K (as you also said).

@dudenesspa
any update on the LG UltraFine 5K on the Thunberbolt using the Intel HD 530 GPU? Is your current configuration using GTX 980TI support 5K resolution?

I have ga-z170x gaming 7 and just received the LG UltraFine 5k monitor. Trying to get the LG 5k on the HD 530 with thunderbolt port. But the resolution only 1920x1080, camera, speakers(+volume control) and brightness control work perfectly.
Windows 10 can set the resolution to 4096x2160 no problem at all. So the thunderbolt seem to be working fine in Windows after following the thunderbolt patch.

any advise?

@wildwillow, thanks. Spent so much time reading and trying in the link you provided on the config.plist patching. End up I only need to disable the AppleGraphicsControl. As you indicated, I only can turn on the second monitor when the system booted to the Desktop. thanks a lot.

Back