Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

You don’t need the pikera boot flag do you?

That was a culprit on getting my z27q to work right with dual DP from my RX580

Forgive me if totally unrelated...just dealt with it the other day and just thought I may as well mention it in case.

You don’t need the pikera boot flag do you?

That was a culprit on getting my z27q to work right with dual DP from my RX580

Forgive me if totally unrelated...just dealt with it the other day and just thought I may as well mention it in case.
Current boot flags are the below not using pikera boot flag. The Ultrafine 5K screen works totally fine on Windows with dual DP coming from the ridge to the RX580. But with Clover and macOS, it just boots to a black screen, I'm sure if I read this thread over again I'll find someone with a similar issue.

keepsyms=1
dart=0
debug=0x100
darkwake=0
-v

This could be a possible solution to try, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Current boot flags are the below not using pikera boot flag. The screen works totally fine on Windows with dual DP coming from the ridge to the RX580. But with Clover and macOS, it just boots to a black screen, I'm sure if I read this thread over again I'll find someone with a similar issue.

keepsyms=1
dart=0
debug=0x100
darkwake=0
-v

This could be a possible solution to try, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Interesting. You might try the pikera flag just to check.
My story was sort of similar (kind of).

Dual DP with perfect 5k/60 on Windows 10, but issues and monitor showing up as two separate panels on macOS (one as 4k, one sub 4k).

Obviously a different setup with me going right from 580 to z27q with dual-DP - but - who knows right?
Might be worth a shot.

Hi guys, I am so happy this post was bumped up.
I just got my first Hackintosh build running two days ago and I am on a Ultrafine 5K too (the original one).
One weird thing happened to me is that, when I first got the macOS running on my machine, the display's mic and audio were working fine, but it stopped working after few restarts.

Is there any place I should look for debugging purpose?

In the Hackintool, it shows that my SSP1/SSP2 are both not active, which is not true, because my monitor is connected to one of the TB3 port. Also, if I plug in any USBC devices at the back of the monitor, nothing would happen, it only charges the phone.

Otherwise the monitor displays fine.

Thank you in advance!

OpenCore beta 0.6.0
Catalina 10.15.5

Last edited:
One weird thing happened to me is that, when I first got the macOS running on my machine, the display's mic and audio were working fine, but it stopped working after few restarts.

At least for me the USB Hub is not working after a reboot. It needs a proper shutdown. This is not macOS specific as the same thing happens for Windows10. I guess some kind of incompatibility of motherboard and Titan Ridge firmware.

Thank you Athei,

Could it be the BIOS settings too?

I thought it was my USB Mapping ACHP files messed up.

Funny note: I actually bought a second Titan Ridge card last week to test that! I feel like this one comes from a different batch, but it still does the same thing.

I do have a Thunderbolt 3 hub that outputs a single HDMI, but that won't be of much use, will it?

I'm not running MacOS on my desktop at the moment, so I can't run AGDCDiagnose from that just yet. Is there a windows equivalent to that?

Some of the things I suspect might be that the Radeon just get that I want two 1.2 outputs, rather than a single 1.4. I'm trying to find someone else's machine with an Nvidia card.
Another thing I thought could be problematic, is that my cpu doesn't have an iGPU, so might not join the signal properly. I haven't found anyone else here or elsewhere that's trying the same thing with an 'F' cpu, though.

Okay, I found out my problem. It took me many hours, but some other problem I had gave me the idea.

It was the cable. Well, sort of. So I'm using this cable that the guy I bought the monitor from had; it's this 3m long Thunderbolt 3 cable, without any markings other than that typical Thunderbolt logo. The cable worked with my MacBook Pro and gives a full 5k resolution. The cable also works with my Windows machine (the Gigabite z390m with the Titan Ridge card), but it only did 4K.
I also have a smaller (.5m) cable that I use to connect my MacBook regularly. So I tried connecting that to the TitanRidge card, and by golly, it got me a 5k resolution.

What's weird to me is how the long cable *does* give me 5k when connected to my MacBook. Maybe it gives it a bit more power? The reason I thought of this is because I also tried a 5m USB 3.2 gen1 cable (for VR), but it wouldn't go faster than USB 2, while my 3m long USB3.2 gen1 *did*. Is this a thing with Gigabyte boards, that they give lower power?

Anyway, just wanted to add to this and say that the problem could be a cable that's too long.

Okay, I found out my problem. It took me many hours, but some other problem I had gave me the idea.

It was the cable. Well, sort of. So I'm using this cable that the guy I bought the monitor from had; it's this 3m long Thunderbolt 3 cable, without any markings other than that typical Thunderbolt logo. The cable worked with my MacBook Pro and gives a full 5k resolution. The cable also works with my Windows machine (the Gigabite z390m with the Titan Ridge card), but it only did 4K.
I also have a smaller (.5m) cable that I use to connect my MacBook regularly. So I tried connecting that to the TitanRidge card, and by golly, it got me a 5k resolution.

What's weird to me is how the long cable *does* give me 5k when connected to my MacBook. Maybe it gives it a bit more power? The reason I thought of this is because I also tried a 5m USB 3.2 gen1 cable (for VR), but it wouldn't go faster than USB 2, while my 3m long USB3.2 gen1 *did*. Is this a thing with Gigabyte boards, that they give lower power?

Anyway, just wanted to add to this and say that the problem could be a cable that's too long.
5K on MacBook. Do you mean MacBook Pro? because MacBook can't do 5K. To verify 5K, you need to like at timing info using SwitchResX or AGDCDiagnose output.

I purchased a second hand LG UF 5K monitor for 3500 HKD (=450 USD) without thinking too much about compatibility and now saw this thread. I'm quite new to this, so sorry if I repeat questions that have already been answered in this thread earlier.

I haven't yet built my first Hackintosh but have already purchased the components for it:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (comes with 2xThunderbolt 3 ports, 1xDP in and 1xHDMI out)
CPU: Intel i9-10900K
GPU: AMD Radeon VII (3xDP out and 1xHDMI out)

I might have misunderstood things, but would I be able to use the LG Ultrafine 5K directly using the TB3 port on the motherboard at only 4K? But this requires me to first run a DP cable from one of the Radeon VII DP out ports to the Motherboard's DP in port?

This is the specs for the TB3 ports on the MB:
Thunderbolt™ 3 Connector (USB Type-C™ Port) The connector supports standard DisplayPort and Thunderbolt™ video outputs. You can connect a standard DisplayPort/Thunderbolt™ monitor to this connector with an adapter. The Thunderbolt™ connector can daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt™ devices. Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the number of Thunderbolt™ devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express devices being installed. You can adjust the Thunderbolt™ settings under Settings\IO Ports\Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration in BIOS Setup. The maximum supported resolution is 5120 x 2880@60 Hz with 24 bpp, but the actual resolutions supported are dependent on the monitor being used. Also, the connector is reversible and supports the USB 3.2 Gen 2 specification and is compatible to the USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 2.0 specification. You can use this port for USB devices, too.
If I want to scale the resolution up to 5K I would need to purchase the Gigabyte GC-TITAN RIDGE? Would the Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE work as well?

How is the functionality of the speakers, the webcam with mic and the additional type C ports on the monitor using the above-mentioned solutions?

Back