Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

@tholstro yes, they all work for me (with a caveat, see below) - you may need to look at implementing an SSDT to get them up and working. I use a slightly modified version of @kgp's SSDT from https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/blob/master/Sources/SSDT-X299-TB3HP.dsl

So the big (big) annoyance once you have all of this working is that if the machine goes to sleep or you disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable for the display, you'll lose the internal USB hub on the display, which takes out all of the controls (brightness, camera, speakers, anything connected).

As of 10.14.4, if my display goes to sleep, it doesn't turn back on - the machine is still running, and I can use Screen Sharing to access it, but nothing makes the display come back on. I've installed 10.14.5 beta 1 to no avail.

I haven't found a way around this yet.

@tholstro yes, they all work for me (with a caveat, see below) - you may need to look at implementing an SSDT to get them up and working. I use a slightly modified version of @kgp's SSDT from https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/blob/master/Sources/SSDT-X299-TB3HP.dsl

So the big (big) annoyance once you have all of this working is that if the machine goes to sleep or you disconnect and reconnect the thunderbolt cable for the display, you'll lose the internal USB hub on the display, which takes out all of the controls (brightness, camera, speakers, anything connected).

As of 10.14.4, if my display goes to sleep, it doesn't turn back on - the machine is still running, and I can use Screen Sharing to access it, but nothing makes the display come back on. I've installed 10.14.5 beta 1 to no avail.

I haven't found a way around this yet.
If all I need is the TB header connection the MOBO I'll swap my Designare for the Auros. The Auros has the TB header connection on the MOBO...

So how are you setup?

I have an ASUS X299 Deluxe, and I have the mobo header and additional PCI-e power cables running to the Titan Ridge card.

I couldn't answer if this thing works without the motherboard header - I would assume it doesn't work properly, so the Aorus is probably a better option if you need this display.

I have an ASUS X299 Deluxe, and I have the mobo header and additional PCI-e power cables running to the Titan Ridge card.

I couldn't answer if this thing works without the motherboard header - I would assume it doesn't work properly, so the Aorus is probably a better option if you need this display.
Yep! That's what I freaking had before and I should have stuck with it. Guess I'll swap back!

I don't need the 5K but I have it and it's little brother LG UF 4K next to it. Nice to have the camera and sound all built in.

I have a LG UF 5K working at full resolution over TB3 with RX580 plugged into the Designare MOBO DisplayPort in... No Titan Ridge adapter required but that works well too!

I just purchased the little brother LG UF 4K and not sure at this point how to get it working. It's listed as a USBC monitor but like the 5K it's actually DisplayPort.

EDIT:: Sorry, I responded to earlier messages in the thread, not seeing that there were more.

USB functionality works fine if you use the windows workaround. The workaround is to have the Thunderbolt 3 drivers installed on windows. You would have to boot into windows beforehand, restart, then boot into macos. After that, you would be able to use all of the usb functionality, and you'd be able to change the brightness.
Problem is, if the monitor is disconnected, or goes to sleep, that connection would break, and you'd have to boot back into windows in order to get it to work again.
In order for hot-swap to work you would have to have an SSDT.

For my setup, if I unplug it and plug it back in, the display would still come on and output at full res, but nothing else would work.

@tholstro
Your monitor is running just over 4K, at 4096x2304, like SwitchResX says. Your resolution is scaled up to 5120x2880, but your monitor is still displaying at 4k.
See attachments for what it should look like, when properly connected with a titan ridge card.

For the UF 4K, when you plug it in over USB, it would be using your iGPU. If you have it disabled for mojave, like me, you can use the thunderbolt out on your motherboard, but you won't be able to run the 5k and the 4k at the same time. I had a UF 4K for a day, but since I couldn't get my mojave installation to work with the iGPU, I returned it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.48.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.48.51 PM.png
    813.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.48.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.48.27 PM.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
@tonyarnold
It would still work without the mobo header, albeit not very well. None of the USB functionality would. I had an alpine ridge with an MSI z170 board before my z390 and titan ridge, and it would still display the full resolution. However it will recognize it as two 2560x2880 displays, and none of the usb peripherals would work (camera, microphone, usb bank, etc.). It was very finicky, sometimes needed to boot with only one dp cable plugged in, sometimes connecting the tb3 cable during booting, etc.

So I swapped out the Designare MOBO for my original Aorus. Now I have both the TB and USB header plugged in and the camera, brightness controls and speaker are now working. And SwitchResX indicates I'm at full 5K goodness!

The only caveat is that if I plug in my second display which is a LG UF 4K the 5K drops down to 4K ... I guess each display is driven by one of the DisplayPort 1.2 connections and both are required to drive the 5K at 5K resolution? As soon as I unplug the 4K the 5K goes blank then comes back at full 5K resolution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 8.55.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 8.55.56 PM.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
So I swapped out the Designare MOBO for my original Aorus. Now I have both the TB and USB header plugged in and the camera, brightness controls and speaker are now working. And SwitchResX indicates I'm at full 5K goodness!

The only caveat is that if I plug in my second display which is a LG UF 4K the 5K drops down to 4K ... I guess each display is driven by one of the DisplayPort 1.2 connections and both are required to drive the 5K at 5K resolution? As soon as I unplug the 4K the 5K goes blank then comes back at full 5K resolution.

That's great!
Yeah, the only way you'd be able to use both the 5k and the 4k at their intended resolutions is to run the 4k off of usb, which is using your iGPU. The 5k needs both displayport connections in order to work correctly.

Are you using an SSDT for hot plug support on the 5k? Or are you booting into windows beforehand?

That's great!
Yeah, the only way you'd be able to use both the 5k and the 4k at their intended resolutions is to run the 4k off of usb, which is using your iGPU. The 5k needs both displayport connections in order to work correctly.

Are you using an SSDT for hot plug support on the 5k? Or are you booting into windows beforehand?
Hot plug...

Don't believe the Aorus Ultra MOBO USBC port carries video... Thinking the only second monitor option would be DisplayPort...

If I remember correctly, it worked if I had my iGPU enabled.

What SSDT are you using? I would like to give it a try.

Back