Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Yes and Yes.

Hello, I bought a LG ultrafine 5K display, and a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge card, but I can't get the real resolution of 5K is virtual, the other one DP cable system identification into VGA display, would like to ask what is the reason? Is there a solution? Thank you very much.
My configuration is: i7 7700k, Gigabyte z270mx-gaming 5, sapphire rx580
9F7E54AC-C64E-4471-BCAD-61291F7D6EE3.png
338C637B-3368-4A24-A2D1-BD779322CA2D.png
95668306-AB10-4FC9-AEB2-6CF4B31530B7.png

Hello, I bought a LG ultrafine 5K display, and a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge card, but I can't get the real resolution of 5K is virtual, the other one DP cable system identification into VGA display, would like to ask what is the reason? Is there a solution? Thank you very much.
My configuration is: i7 7700k, Gigabyte z270mx-gaming 5, sapphire rx580
Can you take a picture of the backside of your computer to show what the graphics card looks like and how it is connected to the GC-ALPINE RIDGE card? Do all the DisplayPort connectors of the graphics card work with a DisplayPort display? Have you tried switching the DisplayPort cables?

Hello, yes, sapphire rx580 has only 2 DP slots. I've tried changing slots, but the results are all the same... LG ultrafine 5K can be normal in the window10 under the 5K resolution work completely, but in osx10.12.6, can only identify a DP cable, OSX 5K resolution is the virtual resolution of the AMD card, I only need to link a DP can achieve the virtual 5K - for OSX pictures the real finesse under win10 as true 5K resolution picture of reality fine...

Attachments

• IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 227
Hello, yes, sapphire rx580 has only 2 DP slots. I've tried changing slots, but the results are all the same... LG ultrafine 5K can be normal in the window10 under the 5K resolution work completely, but in osx10.12.6, can only identify a DP cable, OSX 5K resolution is the virtual resolution of the AMD card, I only need to link a DP can achieve the virtual 5K - for OSX pictures the real finesse under win10 as true 5K resolution picture of reality fine...
Your graphics card has two DisplayPort outputs and two HDMI outputs and one DVI output?

You are able to get a 5K virtual resolution with one DisplayPort cable connected to the right DisplayPort output?

Note that you can use SwitchResX to see the actual real output resolution by double clicking on the current display resolution to see the timing information.
5K virtual 4K real.png
Does the left DisplayPort output also allow a 5K virtual resolution with one DisplayPort cable? If it does not, then that means there's a problem with the AMD frame buffer setting. Read about it at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

That guide says the reference port layout is 3x DP, HDMI, DVI. That differs from your RX580. I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. The guide also points to a post #998 which might have a solution (since the 5K display is a MST display).

Are you using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312582-amd-polaris-ids-on-sierra-high-sierra/

Maybe you need to wait for macOS High Sierra 10.13 for better RX580 support?

Yes, in win10, a single DP cable is connected with the display, the actual resolution is 4K, but the AMD graphics card driver settings can use this option to open virtual virtual resolution, 5K resolution, if close the virtual resolution, the display will show the true image resolution, namely 4096x2304, if it is 2 DP cable connect the display, the AMD driver will automatically open Eyefinity, the two cable output at the same time the picture into a full 5K resolution.
So, using a DP cable connection in OSX display resolution of 5K is formed by the AMD driver to open the virtual resolution, it is not really 5K, because the virtual image display 5K resolution, not sharp enough
Yes, I think so. The actual resolution of a single DP cable is 4096x2304, with drawings attached
I have used Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, and the version is very new, single card startup, and normal sleep and wake up.

Attachments

• 3E026AD4-EA46-429D-89B3-1FA0812EEA66.png
    3E026AD4-EA46-429D-89B3-1FA0812EEA66.png
    511 KB · Views: 154
  • 86D57993-919B-4428-A9E7-A8D0926FAAED.png
    86D57993-919B-4428-A9E7-A8D0926FAAED.png
    488.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 6289ABC5-6B13-4B86-AC94-9E709D40E959.png
    6289ABC5-6B13-4B86-AC94-9E709D40E959.png
    425.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20FB176E-E81E-4BF8-94BF-A0DCF3B5625D.png
    20FB176E-E81E-4BF8-94BF-A0DCF3B5625D.png
    507.2 KB · Views: 104
Your graphics card has two DisplayPort outputs and two HDMI outputs and one DVI output?

You are able to get a 5K virtual resolution with one DisplayPort cable connected to the right DisplayPort output?

Note that you can use SwitchResX to see the actual real output resolution by double clicking on the current display resolution to see the timing information.
View attachment 278081
Does the left DisplayPort output also allow a 5K virtual resolution with one DisplayPort cable? If it does not, then that means there's a problem with the AMD frame buffer setting. Read about it at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

That guide says the reference port layout is 3x DP, HDMI, DVI. That differs from your RX580. I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. The guide also points to a post #998 which might have a solution (since the 5K display is a MST display).

Are you using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312582-amd-polaris-ids-on-sierra-high-sierra/

Maybe you need to wait for macOS High Sierra 10.13 for better RX580 support?
Yes, another virtual 5K resolution can also be achieved if the other DP port is connected individually, but at the same time, if two DP are connected, one of them will be identified as VGA 800x600

Yes, another virtual 5K resolution can also be achieved if the other DP port is connected individually, but at the same time, if two DP are connected, one of them will be identified as VGA 800x600
Since both ports work exactly the same individually, then the issue is with the drivers not enabling the MST mode correctly: it should know that both displays are the same display and it should stitch them together as a single frame buffer. So maybe the solution is in #998 ?

Since both ports work exactly the same individually, then the issue is with the drivers not enabling the MST mode correctly: it should know that both displays are the same display and it should stitch them together as a single frame buffer. So maybe the solution is in #998 ?

Thank you very much for your helpful help. I think maybe the graphics driver under OSX cannot enable MST. Because in WIN10, the 5K display is working properly (true 5K resolution). Unfortunately, I'm a newbie at hackintosh, and the next job may be difficult for me, and my English is not good。:crazy:

Hi, friend. I was wondering if thunderbolt 3 was not driving properly??

Hi, friend. I was wondering if thunderbolt 3 was not driving properly??
I think it's fine, since you got the display to work with each DisplayPort output of the RX580 through the GC-ALPINE RIDGE card.

Did you test both DisplayPort inputs and both Thunderbolt 3 outputs of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE? If you use the top DisplayPort input, then you might need to use the top Thunderbolt 3 output. If you use the bottom DisplayPort input, then you might need to use the bottom Thunderbolt 3 output.

Are you able to change the brightness and use the speakers, camera, and USB ports of the display? If not, then you may need to restart the computer while the display is connected for those features to be useable. Those feature require PCIe communication over Thunderbolt to work. You should be able to see those feature in IORegistryExplorer.app. There is an example ioreg output file at #51 called kThunderBolt.ioreg which shows the brightness control, audio, camera, and usb ports connected to a Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 controller under the Thunderbolt 3 controller.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt 3 with LG UltraFine 5K.png
    Thunderbolt 3 with LG UltraFine 5K.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 150
Back