Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

I think, for the purposes of being clear, the chances are good that 4k over thunderbolt 3 might work to the monitor. Still going to require someone to gamble a bit to test, tho.

Sorry, but the LG 5K monitor will not work with PC hardware.

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought. It's unfortunate that DisplayPort 1.3 was not chosen for Thunderbolt 3. Instead, it supports just two channels of DP 1.2. Now, this is normally for two monitors chained off of one TB3 port.

What Apple did for the 5K retina iMac was design with Parade a custom panel timing controller (TCON) that uses 8 DisplayPort lanes instead of the usual 4 to drive the panel. One reason Apple doesn't offer NVIDIA GPUs any longer is because AMD wrote them a driver that bonds the 8 lanes of two DisplayPorts together; so that it looks like one monitor instead of two. The LG 5K monitor must be using the same Parade TCON as the 5K retina iMac.

Even if the both DisplayPort inputs of the Gigabyte add-in card can be passed down a single TB3 port (though I think it's one DP input per TB3 port) you would still only be able to use AMD cards, and only if the retina driver would load and attempt to use two external DisplayPorts.

Perhaps the LG 4K panel works; as it's reported to work with the 12" MacBook. I'm still searching through the forums to see if anyone has tried it yet.

:(
Perhaps the LG 4K panel works; as it's reported to work with the 12" MacBook. I'm still searching through the forums to see if anyone has tried it yet.
I just built my first Hackintosh using the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare. I also ordered the LG UltraFine 4K, but it didn’t arrive yet. Will probably be next year.

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought. It's unfortunate that DisplayPort 1.3 was not chosen for Thunderbolt 3. Instead, it supports just two channels of DP 1.2. Now, this is normally for two monitors chained off of one TB3 port.

What Apple did for the 5K retina iMac was design with Parade a custom panel timing controller (TCON) that uses 8 DisplayPort lanes instead of the usual 4 to drive the panel. One reason Apple doesn't offer NVIDIA GPUs any longer is because AMD wrote them a driver that bonds the 8 lanes of two DisplayPorts together; so that it looks like one monitor instead of two. The LG 5K monitor must be using the same Parade TCON as the 5K retina iMac.

Even if the both DisplayPort inputs of the Gigabyte add-in card can be passed down a single TB3 port (though I think it's one DP input per TB3 port) you would still only be able to use AMD cards, and only if the retina driver would load and attempt to use two external DisplayPorts.

Nevertheless, old MacBook Pro supports Dell UP2715K 5K display using two DP cables (DP++ / Dual DP). We don't know whether the UF5K uses the iMac-customized-way or two-standard-dp-way. It worth a try.

Last edited:
Hey,
thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of getting the Ultra Fine 4k to use with a normal PCI-E graphics card: -

https://www.******.com/r/apple/comm...k_compatible_with_windows_10_on_a_pc/db3eikv/

It appears it will work with this adapter, won't work for me as I have a mini Itx with one pic-e slot taken by my GPU. Still on the lookout for a direct cable to do the same job without pic-e..

Hey,
thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of getting the Ultra Fine 4k to use with a normal PCI-E graphics card: -

https://www.******.com/r/apple/comm...k_compatible_with_windows_10_on_a_pc/db3eikv/

It appears it will work with this adapter, won't work for me as I have a mini Itx with one pic-e slot taken by my GPU. Still on the lookout for a direct cable to do the same job without pic-e..

I would recommend Gigabyte's GC-Alpine Ridge. It provides two TB3 port instead of USB 3.1 at only slightly more $$. I haven't tried it with LG UF 4K (21.5") but it should work.

The key problem is whether will the 5K (27") one work since the two one have very different connection protocol (though the same physical form)

How does this thunderbolt setup work?
Does it just work as connection adapter and ithe processing is made on a Graphics card ?

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Rémi, I'm French so my English is poor...
I follow this thread because I will mount an Hackintosh with an 5k display for a friend who makes graphic, photos and video mounting.
I don't know which screen to choose for him : Dell UP2715K, HP Z27q or LG UltraFine 5K 27MD5KA.

I think LG is better for the Brightness but we don't know if thunderbolt is recognized by hackintosh.

I think buy Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare or Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH for the thunderbolt port but I don't know what card is best and if thunderbolt is ok with le LG display.

Another question, I bought EVGA GTX 980 TI, do you know if this graphic card can works with the thunderbolt cable directly on the mothercard ?

Else, the EVGA GTX 980 TI can get 5k with 2 display port with another 5K Display like UP2715K or HP Z27q ?

Thanks a lot !

Back