Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

So this Addon card does not work with the Z170X Designare board. I have it on the most "top" PCIE with the cable going to the TB 5pin. followed the instructions for the "Thunderbolt FW Update Tool" and still no go.

Hi anatoliy and others I bought the x99 ultra gaming board from gigabyte and the alpine ridge adaptor and right now the ultrafine 5k screen boots fine and shows clover and the boot sequence but when I reach the log in screen it blanks out. Any thoughts? (I use a 1080 ti)
Hello Janmansliver,
In my case (Asus Z170-A with the ThunderboltEX3 Card from Asus, I had to change the resolution (with SwitchResX) for it to show a picture. I have done this via an other display port screen. However, the 5K LG screen did not work reliably enough for me.. And also only in 4K because of the Displayport 1.2 restrictions (cable from the GPU, GTX 1080, to the Thunderbolt Card)
I would really like to make it work (I have two LG 5K Displays and the performance of my Hackintosh would be much better than with my MacBook Pro 2016 even with the Radeon Pro 460.
But right now (perhaps it has to do with my BIOS-Thunderbolt settings) the LG 5K does not work reliably. (sometimes I would get a prohibited sign when thunderbolt is enable in the BIOS..)
=> For me it is much easier to buy another 4K screen and to use the LGs with my MacBook. I am thinking the affordable BenQ BL2711U.

Hi anatoliy and others I bought the x99 ultra gaming board from gigabyte and the alpine ridge adaptor and right now the ultrafine 5k screen boots fine and shows clover and the boot sequence but when I reach the log in screen it blanks out. Any thoughts? (I use a 1080 ti)
Hi, janmansilver.
I did the same as FabioPeterhans:
I had to change the resolution (with SwitchResX) for it to show a picture. I have done this via an other display port screen.
I have some problems with sound.
In order for the monitor speakers to work, I have to restart the computer after the first download.
In addition, sometimes after the restart, the brightness of the screen dims and I have to adjust it, although it is easy and done using the keyboard or the brightness slider in the System settings.

But I do not have a problem with the kernel panic or lack of images like you do.
Perhaps you forgot to disable the internal card?!

Internal Graphics - disabled

Hi I actually got the LG Ultrafine 5K working now, but without USB hub and control. It seems to me the Thunderbolt drivers are not really loaded or working, but somehow the Alpine Ridge card is taking the two Display port streams and feeding it the monitor. So next step will be to get the USB/thunderbolt part truly working, so I can get keyboard control. Any tips on getting X99 and Alpine ridge card working on Sierra?

Last edited:
How did you solve the monitor problem?

Try to insert the usb device into the socket and restart the computer.

Hi, I used Resx to disable and enable the 5k monitor, also macOs won't login/boot the final step into the os with the ultrafine connected from the beginning - I have to boot with an ordinary monitor and then connect the ultrafine 5k monitor and then disable/enable it before it works. But then it actually works with dual display port signals and 30/32 bit color and 60 hz @ 5K. But it would be very nice to have it working without all this tinkering.

Hi I actually got the LG Ultrafine 5K working now, but without USB hub and control. It seems to me the Thunderbolt drivers are not really loaded or working, but somehow the Alpine Ridge card is taking the two Display port streams and feeding it the monitor. So next step will be to get the USB/thunderbolt part truly working, so I can get keyboard control. Any tips on getting X99 and Alpine ridge card working on Sierra?

How did you get 2x1.2DP signal from the GeForce ? I didn't get your setup...

Me neither, did you really manage to use it in 5K? 2x1.2DP from the GPU to the thunderbolt card?
And for a second 5K monitor, you would need to install a second Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE, right (if you want to use it in 5K)? Does anybody happen to know whether there are MOBOs with zwo thunderbolt headers?

Thank you, anatoli.kant for your tip disabling the internal GPU. I did that, but it didn't resolve the occasional kernel panic when thunderbolt is enabled (prohibition sign on startup). There are a ton of thunderbolt options. When I have time, I will try again and update on this thread.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good information here. I just bought a 5k lg monitor for my 2016 mbp. I'd love to hook my PC computer into it as well so I can just use one monitor.

I have a Asus ITX z170 pro gaming motherboard with a 1070.

I don't need 5k out of it. Just any old resolution. Can I get away with an adapter from hdmi or display port to USB-C so I can use both computers with the same monitor?

Hi :) I Have a Gigabyte x99 ultra gaming mother board and a GTX 1080 ti. But when the 5K screen is enabled the system becomes kind of laggy and unresponsive, and that is crazy annoying.

Back