Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS MASTER
CPU
I9 10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi. First time for me here. I have been thinking over years of not being dependent of Apple strategies. After discovering the alternative that is promoted on this site, I decided to try to install my macOS by my own, but I'm totally noob and ignorant. I've just received my machine, and, when I will have a little bit time will try to make it work. But for the moment Ii'm just wondering because I bought a LG 4K Ultrafine display and was scared to finally read that this screen was only compatible with MAC. I've got a USB-C port on my motherboard. But what if I cannot use my screen until OSX is installed on my PC?

Does someone knows if the motherboard will recognize the display, or what it takes to make it work with my actual configuration?

Totally new is this game, :) Thank you in advance!!

Best
T.

Hi. First time for me here. I have been thinking over years of not being dependant of apple strategys and after discovering the alternative that is promoted on this site i decided to try to mount my mac by my own but i'm totally noob and ignorant. And i've just received my machine and when i will have a little bit time will try to make it work. But for the moment i'm just wondering because i bought a LG 4K ultrafine display and was scared to finnally read that this screen was only compatible with MAC. I've got a USBC port on my motherboard, but what if i cannot use my screen until OSX is installed on my pc? Does someone knows if the motherboard will recognize the display
or what it takes to make it work with my actual configuration?

totally new is this game :) Thank you in advance!!

Best
T.
See my answer here :

Hi. First time for me here. I have been thinking over years of not being dependent of Apple strategies. After discovering the alternative that is promoted on this site, I decided to try to install my macOS by my own, but I'm totally noob and ignorant. I've just received my machine, and, when I will have a little bit time will try to make it work. But for the moment Ii'm just wondering because I bought a LG 4K Ultrafine display and was scared to finally read that this screen was only compatible with MAC. I've got a USB-C port on my motherboard. But what if I cannot use my screen until OSX is installed on my PC?

Does someone knows if the motherboard will recognize the display, or what it takes to make it work with my actual configuration?

Totally new is this game, :) Thank you in advance!!

Best
T.
It seems that my answer to your other thread was accidentally removed and deleted as I cannot find it anymore.

Your motherboard does not have Thunderbolt 3 hardware, so by itself it is not going to work with the LG Ultrafine 4K. CPU integrated graphics is only available through the HDMI port on the motherboard, not the USB-C.

To use the LG Ultrafine 4K with your motherboard, I believe you will have to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge, which allows you to route the DisplayPort video from the RX 580 through the card (using the mini DisplayPort cable provided) and output it via the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on the card to your monitor.

It seems that my answer to your other thread was accidentally removed and deleted as I cannot find it anymore.

Your motherboard does not have Thunderbolt 3 hardware, so by itself it is not going to work with the LG Ultrafine 4K. CPU integrated graphics is only available through the HDMI port on the motherboard, not the USB-C.

To use the LG Ultrafine 4K with your motherboard, I believe you will have to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge, which allows you to route the DisplayPort video from the RX 580 through the card (using the mini DisplayPort cable provided) and output it via the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on the card to your monitor.
Hi Jamesbond.

Don't worry i did read your first answer and bought what you talked about.

According to your advice i just received a CG TITAN Ridge 2.0 and plugged it on my GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS MASTER. But now i'm reaaly asking wich cable and connectors i have to connect, because there are plenty of video on CG titan Ridge cards but i didn't find any wich shows simply how to mount it correctly to make it work on a Hackintosh... I will continue to search, because even the manual is not clear enough for me. I need to find somethins wich explains step by step the process. But yes i followed your advices and i will take time soon to install it properly. Thanks. Thibaut

Hi Jamesbond.

Don't worry i did read your first answer and bought what you talked about.

According to your advice i just received a CG TITAN Ridge 2.0 and plugged it on my GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS MASTER. But now i'm reaaly asking wich cable and connectors i have to connect, because there are plenty of video on CG titan Ridge cards but i didn't find any wich shows simply how to mount it correctly to make it work on a Hackintosh... I will continue to search, because even the manual is not clear enough for me. I need to find somethins wich explains step by step the process. But yes i followed your advices and i will take time soon to install it properly. Thanks. Thibaut
There should be Thunderbolt header cables (2 provided) and DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cables (2 provided) in the package as stated :

According to my understanding, you have to connect a suitable Thunderbolt header cable between the motherboard and the card, and connect the DisplayPort (from RX 580) to Mini DisplayPort (to the card) cable. Finally you should have a USB-C cable which connects the card to the monitor.

After the card is installed into the system and the system is powered up, if all works, you should enter the BIOS to check for the Thunderbolt settings, which should have appeared in the BIOS.

I have not used the card myself so if there are problems you will have to search around for solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back